1. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 01:231 edit
    Should be automatically adjusted on the site.
    Thanks.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 04:37
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Thanks.
    Is it the same rule throughout the world? I don't think so. Hence, automation not possible.

But it would be fine to have a DST option in the TimeZone Settings in the Profile.
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 05:36
    Thanks.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_around_the_world

Good luck.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 14:40
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Is it the same rule throughout the world? I don't think so. Hence, automation not possible.
    I would imagine it is a simple matter as EVERY other forum [except one other] that I look at has it done automatically.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 16:02
    I would imagine it is a simple matter as EVERY other forum [except one other] that I look at has it done automatically.
    So who's rules do those forums use, and is that fair to the people in other countries or even US states that go by different rules. It would throw me all off, where now I just need to switch from -4 to -5 GMT and back every 6 months.

P-
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 16:171 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    So who's rules do those forums use, and is that fair to the people in other countries or even US states that go by different rules. It would throw me all off, where now I just need to switch from -4 to -5 GMT and back every 6 months.

P-
    They do it for each individual country. I mean, can it be that difficult if 90% of internet forums do it already?

All it would mean is that you wouldn't have to adjust it yourself at all.
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 17:56
    They do it for each individual country. I mean, can it be that difficult if 90% of internet forums do it already?

All it would mean is that you wouldn't have to adjust it yourself at all.
    Did you even follow the link XNZ gave? Many people in places like Canada, USA, and part of Europe would now need to change their clocks 4 times because RHP decided to generalize all DSL based on a flag.

What of users who don't even fly a flag? Are you going to guess?

I'd be bent needing to change my clock 4 times a year, as would many other users here at RHP.

Also, when did your clock change? I've been on the new time near a month now.

P-
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 19:27
    I think you can guess what nationality I have, but how do you know for sure?

What timezone is there at Antarctis?
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 19:473 edits
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Did you even follow the link XNZ gave? Many people in places like Canada, USA, and part of Europe would now need to change their clocks 4 times because RHP decided to generalize all DSL based on a flag.

What of users who don't even fly a flag? Are you going to guess?

I'd be bent needing to change my clock 4 times a year, as would many other users h ...[text shortened]... RHP.

Also, when did your clock change? I've been on the new time near a month now.

P-
    Have a look at some other sites with forums - they all have contributors from around the world, yet they all [or most] auto-adjust to the dst that coincides with the timezone that is set by each person.
    These things are simple tasks for computers to perform.

If people choose to pretend to live in the Antarctic or wherever else, that would be their choice still....at least the time would be correct without having to adjust it. Although it would probably be meaningless to them.

edit. I didn't say to generalize it - that would be stoopid.

edit2. It would go by the timezone you set yourself, not the flag you pick.
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 20:57
    Most sites I've seen have a box to tick for Daylight Savings. That's simple enough to implement, but would you mind showing me one of these 90% of sites which implment all Dayllight Savings information without any input needed?
  11. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Mar '07 22:301 edit
    Popular forum/cms software has the option for the admin to set DST corrections on for all users or for them to set it on or off in their control panel. In some instances it gets the time from javascript off the users clock. Seeing the site was not designed with this in mind that would be a major update and is probably not feasible.

There is also the issue of servertime e.g. PlayChess automatically moved the servers clock forward.
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 00:29
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Most sites I've seen have a box to tick for Daylight Savings. That's simple enough to implement, but would you mind showing me one of these 90% of sites which implment all Dayllight Savings information without any input needed?
    Well I would hardly call putting a tick in a box 'input'...you only have to do it once and it's set - and yes I could show you loads of forums like that but there's no need because you already know.
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 01:53
    Well I would hardly call putting a tick in a box 'input'...you only have to do it once and it's set - and yes I could show you loads of forums like that but there's no need because you already know.
    You select the box to indicate that you are currently in DST and you uncheck it when it finishes for you. That sounds like input to me.

And no, I do not know of any international forum that uses a system that automatically detects the beginning and ending of DST.
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 03:491 edit
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    You select the box to indicate that you are currently in DST and you uncheck it when it finishes for you. That sounds like input to me.

And no, I do not know of any international forum that uses a system that automatically detects the beginning and ending of DST.
    No you select a box for automatically adjust for DST.

Here's 3 different forums,

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8796/dst1nk5.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3951/dst2jb2.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1811/dst3zi4.jpg

I looked at a few more but they are nearly all like this
  15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 06:15
    No you select a box for automatically adjust for DST.

Here's 3 different forums,

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/8796/dst1nk5.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3951/dst2jb2.jpg

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1811/dst3zi4.jpg

I looked at a few more but they are nearly all like this
    Those forums are all running VBulletin which gets the DST settings from the user's computer through javascript. The DST settings on a user's computer are set in the OS and only actually account for the most common of DST settings. You're screwed if you live in an area with irregular DST changes or if you change in a particular year (like say the US this year). And there isn't data for many countries at all.
    So the forum doesn't actually detect the beginning and end of DST but it attempts to detect when the OS a person uses thinks DST begins and ends.
    Automatically adjusting for DST sounds good, but it introduces just as many problems as it solves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree