1. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 22:443 edits
    Welcome to the second annual RHP Music Awards!

Congratulations to the winners:

Here are the results:

Best Instrumental Track
    1st. Conceptual Inrush of a Midday Larva - gregsflat (46)
    2nd. Sonata (Kodaly) - Nordlys (40)
    3rd. Circus Fools - Krapsparov (24)

Best Vocal Track
    1st. Another Ragged Phoenix will be Rising - Sonhouse & Family (40)
    2nd. Smooth (Santana) - gregsflat (26)
    3rd. Oh My Sweet Carolina (Ryan Adams) - Doctor Scribbles (20)

Best Computer Track
    1st. A Brother's Coconut (Grotan Project/Nilsson)- dk3nny (47)
    2nd. Don't Trust these Chicks (Various) - Gatecrasher (36)
    3rd. Coastal Lows Natural Highs (Various) - Gatecrasher (16)

Best Cover
    1st. Smooth (Santana) - gregsflat & Co (38)
    2nd. Oh My Sweet Carolina (Ryan Adams) - Doctor Scribbles (31)
    3rd. Losing My Religion (REM) - jimslyp69 (24)

Best Original Composition/Arrangement
    1st. Redhot Rag - Sonhouse (39)
    2nd. Conceptual Inrush of a Midday Larva - gregsflat (27)
    3rd. Bob - Krapsparov & Co (11)

Best Lyrics
    1st. Lycanthropic Mysogynohippie - The Wolfpack Two (30)
    2nd= Another Ragged Phoenix will be Rising - Sonhouse & Family (25)
    2nd= Bob - Krapsparov & Co (25)

Best Musician (Solo)
    1st. Nordlys (49)
    2nd. Sonhouse (37)
    3rd. Doctor Scribbles (22)

Best Group
    1st. Sonhouse & Family (39)
    2nd= Gregsflat & Co (31)
    2nd= Krapsparov & Co (31)

Best Overall Submission
    1st. Sonata (Kodaly) - Nordlys (22)
    2nd. Smooth (Santana) - gregsflat (17)
    3rd. Bob - Krapsparov & Co (16)

A big thanks to all who took part, and, of course, to those who listened, enjoyed and voted.

You can find all the entries at http://formstar.net/rhpmusic
  2. The sky
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 22:47
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Watch this space.
    Watching...
  3. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 22:50
    Watch this space.
    I watched it come and go. Is it coming back again?
  4. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 22:51
    Will there be a "wardrobe malfunction"?
  5. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 22:57
    Sorry about the false start. All Hopscotch's fault. 😳
  6. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 23:10
    Sorry about the false start. All Hopscotch's fault. 😳
    I deny everything.

Congratulations everyone, I was truly amazed at the bounty of talent on show this year.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    10 Sep '07 23:11
    Cool! 🙂 Congratulations to all the other winners! We have some good musicians here! And a big thanks to demonseed, Starrman and Gatecrasher, who all contributed to making the competition happen. For me, it was a great motivation to practise and to experiment.
  8. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 02:011 edit
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Cool! 🙂 Congratulations to all the other winners! We have some good musicians here! And a big thanks to demonseed, Starrman and Gatecrasher, who all contributed to making the competition happen. For me, it was a great motivation to practise and to experiment.
    Yes, I have to say when my legs gave way and could no longer carry the chalice bequeathed to me by Jesus (Starrman) luckily Gatecrasher was on hand.

I congratulate you for an amazingly transparent and effective way of deciding between such duplicity amongst entrants. I don't know anything about music but Nordlys's piece seemed to be as technically proficient as any solo Cellist I have ever heard: I hope she can confirm this is the case!!

Great competition: conceived by me cheating from Starrman, ovulation simulated by starrman; fertilised by me but then fuct, brought to fruition, and delivered by Gatecrasher ... well done.

A great competition and the best entrant certainly won, by a thread, overall.
  9. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 03:312 edits
    I would like to post a very genuine, heart-felt thank you for listening to my submissions. I'm flattered by your voting and it was my pleasure to entertain you. {bow} Thanks for the hard work from all the organizers and the musicians. Music is truly the universal language.

If anyone cares:

"conceptual inrush of a midday larva" was written and performed in 1975. it's a live recording at a concert in phila. at a venue called the "international house" (rather appropriate). it was recorded with just two mics going straight to the tape machine, i'm floored with how clean everything sounds. this particular colection of tunes, from my band called "excalibur," sat in a closet on a reel to reel tape until this spring, at which time, i rediscovered them and sent them to have them baked, so as not to lose any of their quality, then tranfered to aiff files on a CD format. for the rhp contest i used my itunes to transfer the files to mp3. this song was unlistened to for 32 years. it was like a fine wine being uncorked. this timely rhp contest came along and it seemed like the perfect submission, a chance to be "aired" or drank. (note: I still have the score and have re-registered the copyrights.) it is not published.

"smooth" is a live recording of my current band "swing shift" and is an example of the music i play in order to work for a living as a musician, we use these cover tunes to give clients promos so they'll hire our band. so if any of you need live music for an occasion, we travel but we only do it for $$$$$$$ not love. check out: http://www.musicbyswingshift.com
  10. Standard memberChronicLeaky
    Don't Fear Me
    Reaping
    Moves
    11 Sep '07 09:311 edit
    On behalf of both myself and the other two members of The Wolfpack Two, many thanks to all who participated and voted and organised. This was a pretty horizon-expanding music competition and worth far more than the rubber its deadline was printed on.
  11. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 02:59
    I told the guys in the band we won a music competition. They asked me where, I told them it was on my chess website, they laughed at me. They don't play chess. You know what, there was some really interesting music submitted, what's the difference that we all play chess. I think there's a great cross section of culture here, I happen to enjoy the international "feel" of this site.
    Anyway, 9/11 reminds me how much American culture has suffered because of the way G. Bush responded to disaster. He is such an embarassment. Our foreign policies suck, I wish leaders would stop thinking of how to dominate the world and work towards social parody and maybe peace would brake out.
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    12 Sep '07 03:481 edit
    Welcome to the second annual RHP Music Awards!

Congratulations to the winners:

Here are the results:

Best Instrumental Track
    [b]1st. Conceptual Inrush of a Midday Larva - gregsflat (46)

2nd. Sonata (Kodaly) - Nordlys (40)
    3rd. Circus Fools - Krapsparov (24)

Best Vocal Track
    1st. Another Ragged Phoenix will be Rising - Sonhouse & F o listened, enjoyed and voted.

You can find all the entries at http://formstar.net/rhpmusic
    [/b]Thanx to everyone who helped organize any aspect of this competition!

Congrats to the winners, good work. Congrats to everyone that gave it a go! Congrats to those who took time to listen, and thanx to those who took time to vote!

P-
  13. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    16 Sep '07 17:24
    I was looking for this thread to find the website that had the tunes, it fell back to page four, this general forum moves fast.
  14. In your face
    Moves
    16 Sep '07 17:391 edit
    *Walks on stage, raises two fingers, drops trousers.*

Thanks all for listening. ANd thanks to all who took part and organised it all. My only regret is that I didn't pull my thumb out of my bum and get a few more tunes entered.
    I look forward to the next comp if there is one.

Jim
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Sep '07 01:35
    Hey, a belated sorry I couldn't vote till now and I see its all over. Been very busy in the cleanroom in New Jersey, very physical work and pooped out every night, just went to bed early and got up and went back slogging at all the mean machines making my life miserable, Well thanks for all those who voted and thanks for voting for my tribe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree