1. Joined
    22 Mar '07
    Moves
    22 May '08 23:55
    Hello,

There is no legal moves for my opponent in this game (id: 5000682) but RedHotPawn still thinks my opponent has to move. The king is in check and he can't move anywhere legally.

Can anyone see if there is a legal move or other issues ?

Thanks,
    Kannan
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 May '08 00:02
    Originally posted by learnchess
    Hello,

There is no legal moves for my opponent in this game (id: 5000682) but RedHotPawn still thinks my opponent has to move. The king is in check and he can't move anywhere legally.

Thanks,
    Kannan
    This is a game in progress, so I can't say much. But there's nothing wrong with the RHP software. 🙂
  3. Standard memberHindstein
    Finish Him!!!
    Chess Club HQ
    Moves
    23 May '08 00:041 edit
    Originally posted by learnchess
    Hello,

Thanks,
    Kannan
    Hi

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but there is a legal move for your opponent in that game. Unfortunately, people are not allowed to comment on games in progress so I am not going to say right now, but you might find the answer in the Help Menu with the site's FAQ - left hand side in the chess index, 3rd from bottom.

🙂
  4. Joined
    22 Mar '07
    Moves
    23 May '08 00:09
    Thanks for the hint Hindstein. Both myself and my partner were wondering what's wrong. Glad you told me about it.
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 May '08 05:57
    if its past 30 moves and a pawn is checking you then you can teleport to the same color square on the opposite side of the board if vacant, which.. it is, lucky you 🙂
  6. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 May '08 09:14
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 May '08 09:20
    I love this rule! I really do!
  8. Joined
    28 Sep '07
    Moves
    23 May '08 13:59
    Surely we can tell him the answer because it's the only possible move?
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    23 May '08 16:13
    Originally posted by RDM
    Surely we can tell him the answer because it's the only possible move?
    That's outside help. In this instance the move was found one way or another, if it were NOT found time might run out or a draw agreed on. After the game is finished they could ask what SHOULD have been done, but any time someone can't figure something out about a game based on their lack of knowledge of all the rules they should wait til after.

If I were sitting at a board and some guy had his fist on his chin wondering what to do, I'd be very upset if someone came along and said, "move here, it's your only choice".

P-
  10. Joined
    01 Sep '07
    Moves
    23 May '08 16:32
    Hasn't the "outside help" line been crossed here a long time ago with the little "hint" about the site FAQ?

I imagine that the little "hint" has just potentially prevented a draw or flag from falling; hardly a "trivial" piece of help because it potentially altered the entire result of a game.

I think not commenting on games in progress means not commenting- and yes, that means even little "hints".
  11. Under Cover
    Moves
    23 May '08 16:46
    Originally posted by xnomanx
    Hasn't the "outside help" line been crossed here a long time ago with the little "hint" about the site FAQ?

I imagine that the little "hint" has just potentially prevented a draw or flag from falling; hardly a "trivial" piece of help because it potentially altered the entire result of a game.

I think not commenting on games in progress means not commenting- and yes, that means even little "hints".
    I'm going to have to agree with this comment. As "trivial" as it may appear to have been, I think that there has been a TOS violation in this thread. At least, as much as I understand the TOS there has been a violation. I don't want anyone banned or anything, but I think it should be at least noted.

Additionally (and nothing personal here), am I the only one who finds it a little amusing that someone named learnchess didn't know the rules in this instance?
  12. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    23 May '08 16:58
    Let us think about this senario. My connection with internet has failed and I go over to a friend to use his computer to answer my moves in my own game. He answer that he can not let me use his comper, becouse he know that I am playing chess at RHP and he would not let me get "outside help"..........

IMO if there is only one move that is possible, there is no problem to answer that question. I think that we have not passed that "outside help" line in this thread.
  13. Montreal, Canada
    Moves
    23 May '08 17:04
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    if it were NOT found time might run out or a draw agreed on.
    How can a draw possibly be agreed on? The en-passant was the only move possible. In order to propose a draw, black has to make a valid move.
  14. Under Cover
    Moves
    23 May '08 17:08
    Originally posted by DagamoStyle
    Let us think about this senario. My connection with internet has failed and I go over to a friend to use his computer to answer my moves in my own game. He answer that he can not let me use his comper, becouse he know that I am playing chess at RHP and he would not let me get "outside help"..........

IMO if there is only one move that is possible, the ...[text shortened]... swer that question. I think that we have not passed that "outside help" line in this thread.
    TOS 3 (b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party. Endgame tablebases may not be consulted during play but you may reference books, databases consisting of previously played games between human players, and other pre-existing research materials.

There is nothing in there that says "unless there's only 1 legal move, then it's OK" Trying to cloud the issue by suggesting that allowing someone access the internet somehow would be the same is a bit silly. Everyone knows that this rule is directed specifically at move selection. Well, everyone should know, and if they play here it is their responsibility to know that. This is a commonly accepted policy in Correspondence Chess, and has been for many years. It isn't even debatable that this was a TOS violation.
  15. Under Cover
    Moves
    23 May '08 17:10
    Originally posted by DrunkKash
    How can a draw possibly be agreed on? The en-passant was the only move possible. In order to propose a draw, black has to make a valid move.
    There is still the issue of a timeout win having been averted here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree