03 Jun '08 06:26
    Catholisism, or protestantism?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 06:55
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What about the Orthodox and Oriental Christians? What about those that do not fit into any category, such as the Anglicans? There are also the Nazarine and gnostic traditions which stil survive, albet in smaller numbers.
  3. England
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 09:571 edit
    why do you think the ones you mention are bad??? everyone has flaws but worst sect. a sect is a minority who go there own way.
    Think they can say they are more mainstream and universal.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 11:51
    These are denominations, not sects.

Anyhow -- worst in what?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 14:30
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    These are denominations, not sects.
    Says who? What's the definition of sect and cult?
    If Sunni and Shiites are sects and cults, then Catolisism and Protestantism are cults and sects too.
    Compare with the paralell Thread 94725
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 14:53
    Says who? What's the definition of sect and cult?
    If Sunni and Shiites are sects and cults, then Catolisism and Protestantism are cults and sects too.
    Compare with the paralell Thread 94725
    It's the going word in English. But 'sect' is probably the wrong word to apply to them as well.
  7. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 15:30
    That is very general.

Catholisism has shown some progress in that they have acknowledged scientific progress - as some protestant sects have also. However they still say wearing a condom is evil.

I think you would have to get more specific in the exact sect and in what way.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 19:44
    When the same thing was asked in the thread "The Worst Sect of Islam", then it was alright to call Sunni or Shiite branch of Islam as "sects".

Why is it okay to call Islam branches as sects, and moreover in a pejorative fashion, and being protective when I call branches of Christianity sects and cults?

Do we have a case of religious racism here...?
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 21:15
    When the same thing was asked in the thread "The Worst Sect of Islam", then it was alright to call Sunni or Shiite branch of Islam as "sects".

Why is it okay to call Islam branches as sects, and moreover in a pejorative fashion, and being protective when I call branches of Christianity sects and cults?

I don't know enough about Islam to say, but I do know there are people who obey varying degrees of their faith - like most faiths. You'd call these "cafeteria muslims" so to speak.

The problem is how many sects are there and what the specific definition of "sect" is?

As for whether this is a case of religious prejudice, maybe to a certain extent. If we can find different areas where people are applying a different definition of sect based on the religion then that would definitely be worth pointing out as a contradiction.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 21:39
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I don't know enough about Islam to say, but I do know there are people who obey varying degrees of their faith - like most faiths. You'd call these "cafeteria muslims" so to speak.

The problem is how many sects are there and what the specific definition of "sect" is?

As for whether this is a case of religious prejudice, maybe to a certain extent. ...[text shortened]... based on the religion then that would definitely be worth pointing out as a contradiction.
    I have encountered several people who is a member of a definte sect, who at the same time they claim that "Oh, no, I'm not a member of any sect, my christian group is a respectable one!", and in the next breath they say "I am a true christian, and I have every right to beleive that my faith is the only one, and I will go to heaven for it. They, who don't believe the same as I do, will end up in the eternal hell!".

This is an example of religious racism. "I am better than you" kind of thinking. "God loves me more than you" kind of thinking. Some Jews use that kind of thinking, some Muslims, and some Christians. That's the bad side of religion.

People in sects tend to think in this way, no matter what religion, or branch of it. So when the Pope think this way "The Catholic way is the only way to live", then the entire Catholic church is a sect.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 22:30
    It really is not that hard to spell Catholicism.
  12. The sky
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 22:59
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    It really is not that hard to spell Catholicism.
    Do you know how to spell it in Swedish?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 23:41
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Do you know how to spell it in Swedish?
    No. Is it difficult?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Jun '08 04:221 edit

A sect tends to be a faction within a larger group. For example, in Australia, a clandestine Presbyterian sect has emerged, challenging a number of Presbyterian doctrines, althought it has not formally separated. Protestant and Catholic churches, however, are not sects. They are not factions within a larger church.

The Catholic Church uses the term "cult" to describe different religions. For example, when a Catholic marries a non-baptised, it is called a "disparity of cult". The term is also used to denote individual gatherings at churches, in which there is "the cult of the Eucharist." None of these instances use the term pejoratively. It is probably inaccurate, however, to call Catholicism and Protestantism cults in the context of this thread. It is better to call them denominations. I hope that clarifies.
  15. The sky
    Moves
    04 Jun '08 09:07
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    No. Is it difficult?
    I don't know, but it's almost certainly different, but close enough to be confusing. For example, in German it's "Katholizismus", and in Norwegian "katolisisme". It's easy to mix them up a bit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree