1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 10:09
    Don't know if you guys have seen this - I only read about it now.
    Exciting news for Africa, definitely!

A type of infrared laser technology could be used to protect the human immune system against HIV, as well as other viruses and infections, without causing side effects, according to a study published in the November 1 issue of the Journal of Physics: Condensed Matters, BBC News reports.

http://www.iolhivaids.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=1837&fArticleId=4119589
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jul '08 14:001 edit
    I just read a piece I think in Science Daily, where they are literally filtering out bad viruses in special filters, small ones at that. And not just HIV either, flu, hepatitis C were some of the others mentioned. Apparently the filter material is tuned to a specific pathogen. This seems maybe even better than laser treatment, it would seem to me if you zap a virus with a laser it would leave behind remnants which maybe could be harmful by themselves, but the same virus gets trapped in the filter elements and nothing in the way of debris is in the blood.
    Found it:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2008/0602-cleaning_infected_blood.htm
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 01:43
    So AIDS will be cured by miniature baleen whales with sharks on their heads, is that it?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 03:51
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    So AIDS will be cured by miniature baleen whales with sharks on their heads, is that it?
    First, like herpes, the hiv virus has to come out of hiding, be coerced into coming out of the cell, then it's more vulnerable.
    So did you work out the problem I posed in the puzzle forum?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    24 Jul '08 04:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    First, like herpes, the hiv virus has to come out of hiding, be coerced into coming out of the cell, then it's more vulnerable.
    So did you work out the problem I posed in the puzzle forum?
    Not yet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree