1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 17:441 edit
    Russ just started three experimental tournaments for non subs. Hurry up and join. 😛
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 17:51
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Russ just started three experimental tournaments for non subs. Hurry up and join. 😛
    where?
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 17:52
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    And moreover, when you join the tournament you are not limited by the 6 games only. Even if you already have 6 games going, you can join!

Join and experience the joy of tournaments!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 17:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    And moreover, when you join the tournament you are not limited by the 6 games only. Even if you already have 6 games going, you can join!

Join and experience the joy of tournaments!
    is this a joke?
  5. Joined
    12 Sep '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 17:55
    Cool, I just entered my first online tournament! I'm confused though by the warning: " tournaments significantly increase your gameload". don't you play a game at a time?
  6. Joined
    12 Sep '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 17:58
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    is this a joke?
    I don't think so, unless it's a joke played by Russ himself - I just entered the >1500 one. Go in tournaments and select the starless one that applies to you...
  7. The sky
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:02
    Originally posted by Joan34
    Cool, I just entered my first online tournament! I'm confused though by the warning: " tournaments significantly increase your gameload". don't you play a game at a time?
    I just looked at the tournaments. They have a group size of 4, which means you are playing three opponents in one round. You also play a white and a black game against each opponent. So you get six games in one round (in later rounds the group size may vary a little, depending on the total number of participants in the round). All these games start simultaneously.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:05
    Originally posted by Joan34
    I don't think so, unless it's a joke played by Russ himself - I just entered the >1500 one. Go in tournaments and select the starless one that applies to you...
    thanks, that was stupid of me not to notice the starless ones.
  9. Russ's Pocket
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:06
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    is this a joke?
    If Russ wanted to joke he would have made it 21/21 that disappears after 20 moves. That would be a joke!
  10. Joined
    12 Sep '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:10
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I just looked at the tournaments. They have a group size of 4, which means you are playing three opponents in one round. You also play a white and a black game against each opponent. So you get six games in one round (in later rounds the group size may vary a little, depending on the total number of participants in the round). All these games start simultaneously.
    mmmhh, I didn't realize that, thanks for the info... hopefully a couple of my games currently in progress will have cleared by the time the tournament starts (btw, is there any rule on when it actually starts?)

thanks

J34
  11. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:17
    I just entered the 1200-1500. When does the tournament start? I see that min entrants is 12 and max is 128. Once the minimum is satisfied who or what determines the start?
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:291 edit
    Russ is very generous, really!

128 non-sub players in each of the three tournaments are invited!

The tournaments are started individually, when 128 players has entered, or if the interest is not so high (would surprise me) earlier.
  13. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:29
    You are only allowed to start in one non subs tournament, so if you start in this tournament and if you like it, you nead to be a subs even if there comes more non subs tournament in the future. It looks like advertisment in my opinion.

I wish good luck to everybody that starts in the tournament !
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:461 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Russ is very generous, really!

128 non-sub players in each of the three tournaments are invited!

The tournaments are started individually, when 128 players has entered, or if the interest is not so high (would surprise me) earlier.
    Not really. I think allowing non subs to enter say 1 tournament every six weeks (and only be active in 1 at a time) will actually give them a taste of better things and incentivise them to become subscribers.

Looking at them I am surprised there are so few entrants (only 12 between all 3 tournaments) and 3-4 of these are ex subs anyway. I would have expected 128 entrants in double quick time.
  15. Joined
    12 Sep '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:48
    Originally posted by DagamoStyle
    You are only allowed to start in one non subs tournament, so if you start in this tournament and if you like it, you nead to be a subs even if there comes more non subs tournament in the future. It looks like advertisment in my opinion.

I wish good luck to everybody that starts in the tournament !
    Maybe I'm reading too much in your post, but it seems that you hint at something being wrong in this format.
    Without doing anything or spending a single penny I'm allowed to try a tournament - it's like going to the grocery store and having free trial of a kind of cheese. Of course this is done with the hope that someone will eventually buy the product... what's wrong with that?

Gosh, I'm again helping derailing a chess only thread...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree