1. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 18:52
    Originally posted by DagamoStyle
    You are only allowed to start in one non subs tournament, so if you start in this tournament and if you like it, you nead to be a subs even if there comes more non subs tournament in the future. It looks like advertisment in my opinion.

I wish good luck to everybody that starts in the tournament !
    and what is so wrong with that?

It costs you nothing to try. If you like he you buy (a subscription) and if you don't like it you can resign all your games and leave the site.

What has it cost you? Nothing!
  2. Somewhere out there
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 19:08
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    and what is so wrong with that?

It costs you nothing to try. If you like he you buy (a subscription) and if you don't like it you can resign all your games and leave the site.

What has it cost you? Nothing!
    Nothing at all is wrong with it, but my question is:
    If you are only allowed to start one tournament, why is it so seldom that the tournament is happening ?? The last one was for 1 1/2 year ago.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 19:16
    Cool. I'm probably going to subscribe eventually anyway, but maybe this will accelerate it if I like the tournaments.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 20:07
    Why not just pay the subscription?? It equates to £1.25 UK or $2.50 US a month. It's more for a cup of coffe at Starbucks!!! No brainer!!!
  5. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 20:181 edit
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Looking at them I am surprised there are so few entrants (only 12 between all 3 tournaments) and 3-4 of these are ex subs anyway. I would have expected 128 entrants in double quick time.
    I think that most non-subs don't know about it. Many may not read the forums, and that is how I found out about it. As a non-sub I know I can't enter tournaments so I normally don't parouse the tournament section. Perhaps they should put a notice on the homepage or somewhere on the site that is clearly visible. Or...a title like "Tournaments for non-subs" as a heading instead of "non-subs read this!" may be more attractive. Actually, I may post that :-) Edit...I do see that it's in the announcement forum as well.

I actually am thinking about becoming a sub, so this will be a great preview!
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 20:55
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    Russ just started three experimental tournaments for non subs. Hurry up and join. 😛
    "Non sub" sounds so demeaning. I prefer "subscription challenged". 😛
  7. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:00
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    "Non sub" sounds so demeaning. I prefer "subscription challenged". 😛
    Ok, mr. subscription challenged 😛
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:071 edit
    I got in and there are 12 players but why hasn't it started or do we wait for a whistle? Once it starts, how do you know the pairings/games?
  9. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:161 edit
    Probably you will wait until 128 players subscribes to the tournament.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:303 edits
    Originally posted by Joan34
    Maybe I'm reading too much in your post, but it seems that you hint at something being wrong in this format.
    Without doing anything or spending a single penny I'm allowed to try a tournament - it's like going to the grocery store and having free trial of a kind of cheese. Of course this is done with the hope that someone will eventually buy the product... what's wrong with that?

Gosh, I'm again helping derailing a chess only thread...
    well, I like redhotpawn a lot, but frankly it's a little too limited for non subs. chess.com for example has much more to offer for non-subs, you can always play in a tournament, or even start one yourself (you cannot participate in more than one tournament at the same time), and you have an unlimited number of non-tournament games.

edit: sorry, I meant too limited for the "subscription challenged" 🙂
  11. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:46
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    well, I like redhotpawn a lot, but frankly it's a little too limited for non subs. chess.com for example has much more to offer for non-subs, you can always play in a tournament, or even start one yourself (you cannot participate in more than one tournament at the same time), and you have an unlimited number of non-tournament games.

edit: sorry, I meant too limited for the "subscription challenged" 🙂
    I am sub at redhotpawn.com and letsplaychess.com. I also had gameknot account (I got banned for some reason but recieved pm that I can have my account back if I pay the subscription 😕) and I have non-sub account at chess.com.

Every site out of those that I mentioned has different restrictions. I think redhotpawn has the most reasonable ones.

letsplaychess.com is the most annoying, you can't even play rated games if you are a non sub.

On chess.com offers you more games but you can't look at your detailed stats for example. And your games archive don't last long, the games are automatically deleted. Not to mention annoying tactics trainer restriction (3 a day ; not enough to become a new Tal)

I find gameknot the most ridiculous site and I won't comment it at all.

So...

Go RHP 🙂 !
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:521 edit
    I am sub at redhotpawn.com and letsplaychess.com. I also had gameknot account (I got banned for some reason but recieved pm that I can have my account back if I pay the subscription 😕) and I have non-sub account at chess.com.

Every site out of those that I mentioned has different restrictions. I think redhotpawn has the most reasonable ones.

letspla gameknot the most ridiculous site and I won't comment it at all.

So...

Go RHP 🙂 !
    I don't get it. So the only minus for chess com compared to RHP is the game archive not lasting long, but it's such a trivial thing to download your games when they are finished, so I think it can't even be compared to having unlimited games and unlimited tournament (restricted to 1 at a time).

I didn't know RHP provides detailed stats for non-subs, where are they?

I agree with you about gameknot. They practically banned me because my web browser had an ad blocker, I was shocked!
  13. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 21:551 edit
    I don't get it. The only minus for chess com compared to RHP is the game archive not lasting long, but it's such a trivial thing to download your games when they are finished, so I think it can't even be compared to having unlimited games and unlimited tournament (restricted to 1 at a time).

I didn't know RHP provides detailed stats for non-subs, where are they?
    You have your graph (which you do not have if you are not subscriber at chess.com). and graph is pretty nice collection of your games through past.
    I like stats and I like graph so I can easily track my progress through years and take a look at my old games with just one click.

But yes, if you want more games, then chess.com is the right one.

I may be wrong, that is just my impression though...
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 22:08
    You have your graph (which you do not have if you are not subscriber at chess.com). and graph is pretty nice collection of your games through past.
    I like stats and I like graph so I can easily track my progress through years and take a look at my old games with just one click.

But yes, if you want more games, then chess.com is the right one.

I may be wrong, that is just my impression though...
    I see. yes, the graph is always nice to look at.
  15. Joined
    12 Sep '07
    Moves
    05 Sep '08 22:13
    I see. yes, the graph is always nice to look at.
    Actually, under My Home if you select the tab My Performance you get some more stats : wins/draws/losses with white and black, and against who, mainly.

cheers

J34

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree