Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 26 Nov '06 13:17
    I would be interested in the variation I play against d4 and (for myself) invented and what people's opinions of it are.
    1. d4 c5
    2. dxc5 e5
    or:
    1. d4 c5
    2. d5 e6
    3. dxe6 fxe6
    Those are the main lines I play against 1. d4 and I would like you to comment if you can, please.
  2. 26 Nov '06 15:31
    This a line from the old Benoni opening, looks playable enough, btw you didnt really invent it. Ironically, databases say white should NOT capture the e6 pawn if 2. d5. It has only been played once by masters and resulted in a losing position. The most common move (I play it too) is to play 3. c4 and white gots a strong pawn center
  3. 26 Nov '06 15:33
    Originally posted by c guy1
    This a line from the old Benoni opening, looks playable enough, btw you didnt really invent it. Ironically, databases say white should NOT capture the e6 pawn if 2. d5. It has only been played once by masters and resulted in a losing position. The most common move (I play it too) is to play 3. c4 and white gots a strong pawn center
    Thanks for the advice. I need to improve my strategy against 1. d4 having played against only 1. e4 during the year I wsa learning how to play.
  4. Standard member Ashley Blue
    Chess Lame-o
    26 Nov '06 23:08
    I play a similar line:

1. d4 c5

if 2. dxe5, then ...Qa5+
  5. 02 Dec '06 16:40
    Originally posted by Ashley Blue
    I play a similar line:

1. d4 c5

if 2. dxe5, then ...Qa5+
    1. d4 c5
    2. dxc5 (I assume that's what you mean) Qa5+
    3. Bd2
    then what do you play.?
  6. 02 Dec '06 18:02
    Originally posted by Alethia
    1. d4 c5
    2. dxc5 (I assume that's what you mean) Qa5+
    3. Bd2
    then what do you play.?
    Qxc5...

I think that 1.d4 c5 2.dxc5 e6 is probably better for black though.
  7. 02 Dec '06 19:02
    I'll either play an Indian Defense with 1...Nf6, or if I am feeling frisky I will try for a QGA.
  8. 02 Dec '06 20:56
    Originally posted by Alethia
    I would be interested in the variation I play against d4 and (for myself) invented and what people's opinions of it are.
    1. d4 c5
    2. dxc5 e5
    or:
    1. d4 c5
    2. d5 e6
    3. dxe6 fxe6
    Those are the main lines I play against 1. d4 and I would like you to comment if you can, please.
    Seems rather stupid to give up your pawn like that. Why not just play 1.) d4 e6? Seems stronger to me. Then, you have a lot of choices. You can transpose into the Queen's Indian and a bunch of other stuff.
  9. 02 Dec '06 21:24
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Seems rather stupid to give up your pawn like that. Why not just play 1.) d4 e6? Seems stronger to me. Then, you have a lot of choices. You can transpose into the Queen's Indian and a bunch of other stuff.
    It isn't giving up a pawn - and I think 1.d4 c5 is perfectly playable. It's called the schmidt (smidt? I forget the spelling - something like that) Benoni. The Modern Benoni or Czech Benoni might be better though - all Benoni's tend to be suspect. I play the Benko Gambit sometimes which is probably considered a Benoni by some people - it' similar in some ways - and is quite reliable.
  10. 04 Dec '06 05:55
    i am a fierce competator but when i see d4 i automatically resign its a lost game for black
  11. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    04 Dec '06 06:14
    For me, at least, I have always been boggled by people that want to play defences like:

1. d4 c5 2. d5 e5

You know there has to be better responses than that, and probably one that gives you the type of position you want. I don't see what Black has achieved other than giving white spaces and making his dark squared bishop a huge pawn.