Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    23 Mar '07 23:41 / 2 edits
    Why do people play this when the only purpose is Scholars mate. The queen is only gonna be booted around the board in the opening people.
    Game 3347932 in progress.
    Game 3188410 is finished.
  2. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    23 Mar '07 23:42
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    Why do people play this when the only purpose is Scholars mate. The queen is only gonna be booted around the board in the opening people. Game 3347932
    Game is in progress
  3. 23 Mar '07 23:43
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    Why do people play this when the only purpose is Scholars mate. The queen is only gonna be booted around the board in the opening people. Game 3347932
    Ask Nakamura.
  4. 23 Mar '07 23:49
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    Why do people play this when the only purpose is Scholars mate. The queen is only gonna be booted around the board in the opening people.
    Game 3347932 in progress.
    Game 3188410 is finished.
    A draw against someone rated over 50 points higher than you isn't too bad, really. I guess I should look into playing that opening!
  5. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    23 Mar '07 23:51
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    A draw against someone rated over 50 points higher than you isn't too bad, really. I guess I should look into playing that opening!
    Higher?
  6. 24 Mar '07 00:00
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1337354

    Atleast it's better than the grob.
  7. 24 Mar '07 02:17
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    Higher?
    Yeah, you're higher rated than your opponent.
  8. 24 Mar '07 15:03 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    Why do people play this when the only purpose is Scholars mate. The queen is only gonna be booted around the board in the opening people.
    Game 3347932 in progress.
    Game 3188410 is finished.
    It's played for intimidation purposes and to get out of the book early I tell young People who are very new to the game all the time in my blog not to play this opening because if their opponent is a good player he or she is going to develop their pieces rapidly and go after them like a shark White can easily get caught in a trap and lose the Queen to give you an example of what I mean this is part of a game I played as black against a player from south korea:

    1. e4 e5 2. Qh5 Nc6 3. Bc4 g6 4. Qf3 Nf6 5. c3 Bg7 6. Nh3 d6 7. Ng5 d5 8. exd5 Bg4 9. Qd3 Bf5 10. Qe3 Ng4 11. Qf3 Na5 12. h3 e4 13. Qf4 Be5 14. Qxg4 Bxg4
  9. 26 Mar '07 15:13
    Originally posted by Aristolle
    It's played for intimidation purposes and to get out of the book early I tell young People who are very new to the game all the time in my blog not to play this opening because if their opponent is a good player he or she is going to develop their pieces rapidly and go after them like a shark White can easily get caught in a trap and lose the Queen to giv ...[text shortened]... 6 7. Ng5 d5 8. exd5 Bg4 9. Qd3 Bf5 10. Qe3 Ng4 11. Qf3 Na5 12. h3 e4 13. Qf4 Be5 14. Qxg4 Bxg4
    That game does show how the opening with 2.Qh5 is dubious but at the same time, White could have retreated the Queen back to d1 early on to avoid being chased around. That was just a poorly played game on White's part...
  10. 26 Mar '07 18:25
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    That game does show how the opening with 2.Qh5 is dubious but at the same time, White could have retreated the Queen back to d1 early on to avoid being chased around. That was just a poorly played game on White's part...
    Yeah, but all that would have done was lose him the initiative, for no material or strategic gain. IOW, it still makes 2. Qh5 a bad move.

    Richard
  11. 26 Mar '07 18:31
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Yeah, but all that would have done was lose him the initiative, for no material or strategic gain. IOW, it still makes 2. Qh5 a bad move.

    Richard
    I agree but better to lose the initiative and play on they to be down a Queen for a Bishop in this position.