1. Joined
    21 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 17:39
    which is better to have for an end game situation? each player has 3 pawns ....
  2. Joined
    05 Feb '06
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 17:40
    Two rooks. Always.
  3. Belfast
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 17:42
    Originally posted by renmaster
    Your scenario is suspiciously specific.

Why do you ask?
  4. Joined
    21 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 17:49
    was curious what players thought would be a stronger position. although 2 rooks would probably dominate the board, would the 3 pawns be able to block their 3 files and allow the queen to manourvre ? just a thought...
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 17:56
    was curious what players thought would be a stronger position. although 2 rooks would probably dominate the board, would the 3 pawns be able to block their 3 files and allow the queen to manourvre ? just a thought...
    Statistically, Q tends to beat 2R more than the opposite. However in the particular endgame you describe, I don't know.
  6. Big D
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 19:20
    Depends on the Pawn configuration, the safety of the Kings, and whether the Rooks are connected. Generally speaking though, two connected Rooks are better than the Queen when all other factors are equal.
  7. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 19:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Statistically, Q tends to beat 2R more than the opposite. However in the particular endgame you describe, I don't know.
    the statement is likely true duing the middlegame where Q + pieces can generate more threats with suddenness. an endgame situation is difference. if 2 rooks target a pawn then it will lead to a 3 vs 2 pawn endgame, right?
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 19:45
    I searched my database and found 101 games with Q + 3 connected pawns vs. RR + 3 connected pawns, and the rooks won almost twice as many as the queen. Most ended in draws, however. If the pawns are not connected, I suspect the queen may gain a bit, but did not conduct that search.
  9. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 20:32
    They say two "active" rooks are stronger than a Queen. If you have two inactive rooks, you might as well have no pieces against a Queen. But, if they are "active," they are much more powerful so I've heard. But, something about losing my "darling" always gets me depressed - even if I kill the other guy's "lady." When I win a game with my Queen still on the board, I feel like I'm going to get rewarded when I get home. HAHA
  10. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 21:04
    Originally posted by powershaker
    They say two "active" rooks are stronger than a Queen. If you have two inactive rooks, you might as well have no pieces against a Queen. But, if they are "active," they are much more powerful so I've heard. But, something about losing my "darling" always gets me depressed - even if I kill the other guy's "lady." When I win a game with my Queen still on the board, I feel like I'm going to get rewarded when I get home. HAHA
    emo
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    08 Feb '06 21:53
    2 rooks are usually better. Keep one rook at home defending the king and pick off pawns with the other rook but be careful for queen forks etc...

The main problem with new players is that they cannot cooperate the 2 rooks well and therefore, prefer the queen vs 2 rooks, since she is easier to move and so powerful.

King safety is very important though in these situations and pawn structure.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree