1. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    20 May '07 19:111 edit
    Originally posted by demonseed
    Interesting how you can supplant one myth for another with so authoritively.
    Because "another myth" is based on logic and evidences.
  2. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    20 May '07 19:40
    How can any amateur player not have enormous respect for Euwe and what he did, taking down one of the greatest players of all time in a monumental upset? Funny how Alekhine's supposed alcoholism hadnt kept him from dominating in the preceding years. Also Euwe showed great humility and respect for the game and his opponents, one of the few champions to do so, and was a great ambassador for the game even after losing the title. I also find his games enjoyable, they are full of interesting ideas.
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 May '07 20:19
    A true World Champion classy guy. He was one of the best in terms of the things that matter most in chess. Not many others will ever match his honesty, humility, and service and devotion to the chess world.
  4. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    21 May '07 00:121 edit
    Originally posted by Korch
    Because "another myth" is based on logic and evidences.
    There is evidence to suggest that Alekhine was pissed: he was found in one of the storerooms inebriated during the match; he walked off to the edge of the stage and urinated.

As for Kasparov he has a political axe to grind against Kotov going back to the old Soviet days so spare me your logic Korch which is manifestly thinly veiled sentiment.
  5. Joined
    30 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 May '07 00:30
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Indeed...only someone from Holland could give us the definative answer. It's sort of a state secret though, they're not talking.
    Its actually quite hard to spell fonetically ( is that a word?)

The sound of eu in euwe is hard to describe .
    Probably its sounds the most like saying Björn (so not pronouncing the o but rather a eu)
  6. Joined
    30 Nov '06
    Moves
    21 May '07 00:36
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    A true World Champion classy guy. He was one of the best in terms of the things that matter most in chess. Not many others will ever match his honesty, humility, and service and devotion to the chess world.
    Totally agree,

in Amsterdam there is a square named after him (the J.H. Donner bridge leads to it)
    On the square you can play chess on a giant board or play blitz against the locals on regular boards.
    Above the square is the Max Euwe centre with a big library.
    (This hopefully will get me so sponsorship from the local government for promoting the city:-)
  7. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    21 May '07 00:533 edits
    There is evidence to suggest that Alekhine was pissed: he was found in one of the storerooms inebriated during the match; he walked off to the edge of the stage and urinated.

As for Kasparov he has a political axe to grind against Kotov going back to the old Soviet days so spare me your logic Korch which is manifestly thinly veiled sentiment.
    I have read both of them - Kotov and Kasparov. And I advice you to do the same and only then make conclusions. Also I have read what have written Flohr about that match and his version differs from Kotov`s books.

And you did not answer to my question: What parameters do you use to find out that Euwe is the worst player to be chess world champion?
  8. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    21 May '07 01:17
    I have read both of them - Kotov and Kasparov. And I advice you to do the same and only then make conclusions. Also I have read what have written Flohr about that match and his version differs from Kotov`s books.

And you did not answer to my question: What parameters do you use to find out that Euwe is the worst player to be chess world champion?
    I don't think he is the worst.

I just saw a bland thread reminding us to remember a truly great player and someone who was a great ambassador for the game (while being the last of the brilliant amateurs). I didn't want empty tributes so I attacked him to engender the praise he deserves.

Unfortunately it's pretty clear that no-one on this site really appreciates Euwe since the defence they mustered to one guy spouting crap [me] is intolerably weak.

I like to arrive at nuggets of truth via the 'Devil's Advocate' but sometimes I am dealing with morons who need spoon-feeding.

PS Evidence is a mass noun so there is no plural with (s); and advice like practice is a noun: the verb is advise.

PPS Korch, if you wanted to defend Euwe all you had to do was post Euwe's win against Alekhine in game 29 in the QGD line but instead you try to refute the gossip that surrounded his victory thereby falling into my trap to distract you from Euwe's chess ability.
  9. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    21 May '07 07:34
    I don't think he is the worst.

I just saw a bland thread reminding us to remember a truly great player and someone who was a great ambassador for the game (while being the last of the brilliant amateurs). I didn't want empty tributes so I attacked him to engender the praise he deserves.

Unfortunately it's pretty clear that no-one on this site really ...[text shortened]... nded his victory thereby falling into my trap to distract you from Euwe's chess ability.
    I dont know which game did you mean - in their first match (1935) 29th game was was Alekhine defence and it finished draw. Bu I can show you 26th game in which Euwe ovwrplayed his opponent.

[Event "Zandvoort-Wch"]
    [Site "Zandvoort-Wch"]
    [Date "1935.??.??"]
    [EventDate "?"]
    [Round "26"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [White "Max Euwe"]
    [Black "Alexander Alekhine"]
    [ECO "A90"]
    [WhiteElo "?"]
    [BlackElo "?"]
    [PlyCount "94"]

1. d4 e6 2. c4 f5 3. g3 Bb4+ 4. Bd2 Be7 5. Bg2 Nf6 6. Nc3 O-O
    7. Nf3 Ne4 8. O-O b6 9. Qc2 Bb7 10. Ne5 Nxc3 11. Bxc3 Bxg2
    12. Kxg2 Qc8 13. d5 d6 14. Nd3 e5 15. Kh1 c6 16. Qb3 Kh8
    17. f4 e4 18. Nb4 c5 19. Nc2 Nd7 20. Ne3 Bf6 21. Nxf5 Bxc3
    22. Nxd6 Qb8 23. Nxe4 Bf6 24. Nd2 g5 25. e4 gxf4 26. gxf4 Bd4
    27. e5 Qe8 28. e6 Rg8 29. Nf3 Qg6 30. Rg1 Bxg1 31. Rxg1 Qf6
    32. Ng5 Rg7 33. exd7 Rxd7 34. Qe3 Re7 35. Ne6 Rf8 36. Qe5 Qxe5
    37. fxe5 Rf5 38. Re1 h6 39. Nd8 Rf2 40. e6 Rd2 41. Nc6 Re8
    42. e7 b5 43. Nd8 Kg7 44. Nb7 Kf6 45. Re6+ Kg5 46. Nd6 Rxe7
    47. Ne4+ 1-0

I think that only great chess player could win Alekhine and become world champion. And theory that Alekhine lost that match only due his drinking habit (and that he played being drunk as have written Kotov) is very doubtful without serious proofs.

And it's pretty clear that you have no serious arguments against Euwe, if you started to talk about "morons who need spoon-feeding" and grammar mistakes.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 May '07 09:36
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Now the tricky part.....how do you pronounce Euwe?

It's not what most people think.
    You pronounce it "Machielis Euwe", of course. Nothing tricky about it.

Richard
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 May '07 09:421 edit
    Alekhine was pissed; when he give up drink for the rematch he trounced Euwe.

If Euwe isn't the worst player to be chess world champion then who is?

Oh, good lord. Not that myth again.

Either Khalifman or, probably, Kasimdzhanov.

What's more, Euwe was a better person than you will ever be, with your cheap sniping and even cheaper retractions.

Richard
  12. Joined
    15 Apr '07
    Moves
    21 May '07 10:27

Capablanca.
  13. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    21 May '07 10:36
    Originally posted by Riddle2007
    Capablanca.
    LOL And may I ask why do you think so? 😀
  14. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    21 May '07 11:03
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    [b] Alekhine was pissed; when he give up drink for the rematch he trounced Euwe.

Oh, good lord. Not that myth again.

Either Khalifman or, probably, Kasimdzhanov.

What's more, Euwe was a better person than you will ever be, with your cheap sniping and even cheaper retractions.

Richard[/b]
    Twit, read my follow-up post.
  15. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    21 May '07 11:06
    I dont know which game did you mean - in their first match (1935) 29th game was was Alekhine defence and it finished draw. Bu I can show you 26th game in which Euwe ovwrplayed his opponent.

[Event "Zandvoort-Wch"]
    [Site "Zandvoort-Wch"]
    [Date "1935.??.??"]
    [EventDate "?"]
    [Round "26"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [White "Max Euwe"]
    [Black "Alexander Alekhine"] ...[text shortened]... d to talk about "morons who need spoon-feeding" and grammar mistakes.
    No. I mean the 29th game of the return match in 1937.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree