1. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    22 May '07 10:48
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Now the tricky part.....how do you pronounce Euwe?

It's not what most people think.
    I think it is pronounced "Ö-ve" (for those who have the ö-character). In English, the closest I can think of is "Uhhh...." or "(D)uuh.." to make a similiar sound (no pun intended). At least, that is how the chess people in my place of the world say it. I am not sure what the proper phonetic writing of that would be, though.
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 May '07 11:56
    Originally posted by Golub
    I think it is pronounced "Ö-ve" (for those who have the ö-character). In English, the closest I can think of is "Uhhh...." or "(D)uuh.." to make a similiar sound (no pun intended). At least, that is how the chess people in my place of the world say it. I am not sure what the proper phonetic writing of that would be, though.
    There are lists on the internet that try to describe how to pronounce chess words. It would be even better if someone made an audio pronunciation guide (short audio clips) for these words.
  3. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    22 May '07 23:13
    Originally posted by demonseed
    There is evidence to suggest that Alekhine was pissed: he was found in one of the storerooms inebriated during the match; he walked off to the edge of the stage and urinated.

As for Kasparov he has a political axe to grind against Kotov going back to the old Soviet days so spare me your logic Korch which is manifestly thinly veiled sentiment.
    You got it all wrong. Alekhine had better things to do the day of the match with Euwa. He devised the following srtategery to defeat Euwa in a hurry: e4d5c6g7h18f1234567 wam bam thank you man. Alekhine was in greas hast to deposit his winnings and while standing on the corner waiting for transportation he heard "Hey big boy, jump in" He unwisely stepped into the street and was struck and killed by what some said was a yellow taxie cab, but others insisted that it was a rather large woman wearing a yellow rain coat and hood. To this day Mrs Alekhine morns the loss of her husbands money.
  4. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 May '07 23:55
    i already forgot what i ate on the 20th....so no, we wont all remember....
  5. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    23 May '07 01:52
    Originally posted by Helder Octavio
    Fun [b]why, pale face?

EmLasker started an homage for a great human being, and
    you distorted all the thread.

I see 3 alternatives for your behavior:
    A) you´re only a kid;
    B) you´re only an idiot;
    C) you´re an idiot kid.

To write my posts, I use a dictionary, because I don´t know
    to speak english. No problem. Beautiful sentences and great
    knowledge don´t do you intelligent.

Grow up.[/b]
    I have one thing to write in reply that proves I am actually mature:

Nyah nyah nya nyah nyah.
  6. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    23 May '07 03:49
    I respect all who have achieved world champion status.
  7. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    23 May '07 03:56
    what about philidor?
  8. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 May '07 00:37
    It's true that Alekhine was judged by many to be a vastly superior player to Euwe and i think when Euwe won the 1935 encounter a lot of so called experts had to try and justify it somehow. How much of the result can be put down to Alekhine's excessive drinking we'll never know.
    But one thing is for sure: Euwe ws an awesome player. you only have to play over a few of his games to see that his understanding and vision was up there with the very best.

The fact he took the world crown from a player who is rated by many to be one of the top half a dozen players of all time speaks for itself.

Attempts by very mediocre players on this site to insult the man's memory do not sit very well with me.

Here's to one of the true greats. may his memory live on!
  9. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    25 May '07 01:121 edit
    Originally posted by Talisman
    It's true that Alekhine was judged by many to be a vastly superior player to Euwe and i think when Euwe won the 1935 encounter a lot of so called experts had to try and justify it somehow. How much of the result can be put down to Alekhine's excessive drinking we'll never know.
    But one thing is for sure: Euwe ws an awesome player. you only have to play ov do not sit very well with me.

Here's to one of the true greats. may his memory live on!
    You're quite right; mediocre players shouldn't be allowed to comment but then how would I have seen even this post?
  10. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 May '07 21:03
    Originally posted by demonseed
    You're quite right; mediocre players shouldn't be allowed to comment but then how would I have seen even this post?
    Ouch! Would you care for a game.😛
  11. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    27 May '07 21:57
    Originally posted by Talisman
    Ouch! Would you care for a game.😛
    Sure. Send me a challenge.
  12. Joined
    10 Apr '07
    Moves
    27 May '07 22:45
    Any GM deserves respect for the dedication and commitment it takes to earn their relative rank.

Longorefisher

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree