Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 01 Feb '12 15:12
    It's off!

    I'm in section 58. I've pulled 3 1800+ players.
    1800 was my OTB benchmark for trap setting.
    Those 6 games are going to be hard work, I've checked, they can all play a bit.

    I cannot see me pulling off 6 lucky wins, nor can I expect me to come
    to the site everyday 'in the mood' so a first round exit is looking likely.

    Please can any of you others in the Championship PM me with a interesting blunder/game.
    Not just from your games, look around in your (and other) sections. (don't post it - it's blog material.)

    I'll be checking other sections but there are over 90 so I need a wee bit of help.
    I'm looking for the first checkmate, first to resign...anything odd/funny.

    Right I'm now off to look at my opponents games and see who gets what opening trap.

    I'll be off the forum for a while. Don't fight.
  2. Standard member hedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    01 Feb '12 16:03
    Strange how the groups are not seeded. Should of been easy enough to do. As it is I have quite an easy group with the top graded in the 1600's.

    Same thing happened when I entered 2 years ago. Even though I didn't play well, I got into the 2nd round when many much better players didn't because of the pairings. Seems a bit unfair on the people with a few strong players in their group.

    Anyway, I give myself a 1 in 3 chance of getting past the first round this time.
  3. 01 Feb '12 16:20
    Originally posted by hedonist
    Strange how the groups are not seeded. Should of been easy enough to do. As it is I have quite an easy group with the top graded in the 1600's.

    Same thing happened when I entered 2 years ago. Even though I didn't play well, I got into the 2nd round when many much better players didn't because of the pairings. Seems a bit unfair on the people with a few ...[text shortened]... r group.

    Anyway, I give myself a 1 in 3 chance of getting past the first round this time.
    If you are going to seed the games then why bother with anyone under 1800/1900/2000 as inevitably someone rated at 2,000+ will win.
  4. Standard member hedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    01 Feb '12 16:31
    Originally posted by adramforall
    If you are going to seed the games then why bother with anyone under 1800/1900/2000 as inevitably someone rated at 2,000+ will win.
    The same reason they do it in almost all sporting events. To give the underdog a chance to progress through merit. No glory in having a lucky draw.
  5. 01 Feb '12 18:02
    Typically this is my only chance each year to play against a 2000+ player.
  6. 01 Feb '12 21:19
    how do i know which group I'm in?
  7. Subscriber roma45
    st johnstone
    01 Feb '12 21:40
    Originally posted by stevemcc
    how do i know which group I'm in?
    click on one of your games, then click on 2012 championnships, under where it says round 1 will give the number of the group you are in.
  8. 01 Feb '12 22:09
    I was considering a mild grumble at the (lack) of seedings. Then I noticed group 2
    On reflection I'm happy with unseeded, everyone is treated as an equal and I suspect it makes the round one groups more competitive.
  9. 01 Feb '12 23:24
    OK I have my first 2 wins, but then again so does everyone else in my section apart from the guy who immediately resigned all his games ???? At least it means 2 less games, 18 is a lot more than I usually have on the go
  10. 01 Feb '12 23:42
    What group are in St40?
  11. 02 Feb '12 01:28
    group 40
  12. 02 Feb '12 02:01
    I've found the first loss from actual play.
    (so far...there might be one sooner I've yet to see.)

    Sadly it was lost by someone who posted in this thread.
    The poor sould has actually lost two games already.
    (27 moves in one game. The lad does not hang about.)

    The time of the loss was: Feb 01 2012 23:39 can anyone find one sooner?
    I hope so.
  13. Standard member Exuma
    Anansi
    02 Feb '12 02:05
    I'm in group 18 with 2 2000+ killers, and everyone else (besides me) below 1700. See if I can move slow enough to not blunder
  14. 02 Feb '12 02:15
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I've found the first loss from actual play.
    (so far...there might be one sooner I've yet to see.)

    Sadly it was lost by someone who posted in this thread.
    The poor sould has actually lost two games already.
    (27 moves in one game. The lad does not hang about.)

    The time of the loss was: Feb 01 2012 23:39 can anyone find one sooner?
    I hope so.
    This one?

    http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=9039018&cbqsid=31003
  15. 02 Feb '12 02:52
    That will do (you are off the hook Roma)

    Game 9039018 time of loss (a checkmate, a nice 7 mover.) Feb 01 2012 18:17.
    And with a grade diff of 702 you are in line for the Giant Killers Prize.

    Well Catnap, you certainly caught him napping.
    (I tossed that sad joke in here to stop me from dropping it on the blog.)