1. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    27 Dec '12 16:35
    send noms and or votes to info@chesscafe.com

current round ends Jan 7 final round begins Jan 9 ends Jan 21 winner announced Jan 23

current noms are...Aron Nimzowitsch 1886-1924...Eminent Victorian Chess Players...Grandmaster Preparation:Calculation...Move First,Think Later...Tactics Time! 1001 chess tactics from the games of everyday chess players
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 00:02
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    send noms and or votes to info@chesscafe.com

current round ends Jan 7 final round begins Jan 9 ends Jan 21 winner announced Jan 23

current noms are...Aron Nimzowitsch 1886-1924...Eminent Victorian Chess Players...Grandmaster Preparation:Calculation...Move First,Think Later...Tactics Time! 1001 chess tactics from the games of everyday chess players
    Why do they make you email them when they could just put in links? I don't send or receive emails.
  3. Joined
    03 Dec '12
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 00:43
    http://www.amazon.com/Study-Chess-Matthew-Sadler-Everyman/product-reviews/1857449908

This is one that has me interested...other than that a lot of rehashing in 2012 IMO
  4. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 06:04
    And the winner is.............

Aron Nimzowitsch,1886-1924
  5. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 10:03
    I wonder how many who voted have read all the books on the shortlist? I'm guessing close to zeroπŸ™‚
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 12:221 edit
    Originally posted by hedonist
    I wonder how many who voted have read all the books on the shortlist? I'm guessing close to zeroπŸ™‚
    I have not read any of them. 😏

But I did not vote.
  7. e4
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 15:012 edits
    Any book on Nimzo seems to be a winner.
    A lot of people think Ray Keenes book on Nimzo in the 70's was his best work.

Staying on Nimzo. A few months ago I picked up his, 'Carlsbad 1929'.
    Where Nimzo did the tournmanet report and noted up selected games.
    It is one of the strangest chess books on a tournament I have gone through.
    Even the translator, Jim Marfia, says this is also the case.
  8. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 15:21
    Yeah I am curious about this. Supposedly this is a "popular vote", but I find it kind of hard to believe that a book that costs 49 dollars was actually read by many players. Most chess players that I know would consider 49 dollars to be a LOT of money.

I am sure that it is a good book, and probably deserves to win, but I just find it hard to believe it got that many votes, or that many people have read it.

Chesscafe has an obvious interest in this book winning, because they are going to make a lot of profit selling 50 dollar hard back chess books, especially ones that not many people have already purchased. If a 4.99 eBook that is only sold on amazon wins "chess book of the year", they are screwed.

It would be like if you asked people "what was your favorite movie last year", and the answer was some obscure documentary like "Brooklyn Castle", instead of "The Dark Knight Rises" or "The Avengers".

Anyway, I am just sour grapes, because my chess tactics ebook got crushed in the competition πŸ˜€
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 17:26
    It's hard to compete with Nimz. πŸ™‚
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 17:27
    Originally posted by TimmyBx
    Yeah I am curious about this. Supposedly this is a "popular vote", but I find it kind of hard to believe that a book that costs 49 dollars was actually read by many players. Most chess players that I know would consider 49 dollars to be a LOT of money.

I am sure that it is a good book, and probably deserves to win, but I just find it hard to believe it ...[text shortened]... m just sour grapes, because my chess tactics ebook got crushed in the competition πŸ˜€
    Eh, don't sweat it Timmy. Your book rocks. πŸ™‚
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 19:50

I am sure that it is a good book, and probably deserves to win, but I just find it hard to believe it ...[text shortened]... m just sour grapes, because my chess tactics ebook got crushed in the competition πŸ˜€
    Didn't your book just come out? I like your newsletter, but I did not know that i could get your book for $4.99 on amazon.com. If I knew you had one of my games in there, I would most certainly buy it, even if it was more than $4.99. How could I resist the ego building. Even if I did not see the winning tactic or got beat with it, I would be inclined to buy the book, especially at that price.
  12. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 21:34
    yeah the book just came out late last year. It is only 4.99 on amazon, and has 1001 tactics problems in it, similar to ones in the newsletter - all from real (patzer) games.

I am not sure if you have any games in there or not. There are over 300 RHP games in there.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009TBYA7U/

I can check when I get home from work to see if there are any games of yours in there. I loaned my copy of the book to my buddy Francisco (ZonaGrad), so I can't do a search of the book on my phone's kindle reader.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 22:084 edits
    yeah the book just came out late last year. It is only 4.99 on amazon, and has 1001 tactics problems in it, similar to ones in the newsletter - all from real (patzer) games.

I am not sure if you have any games in there or not. There are over 300 RHP games in there.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009TBYA7U/

I can check when I get home ...[text shortened]... my buddy Francisco (ZonaGrad), so I can't do a search of the book on my phone's kindle reader.
    Yes, I found it. My wife has a kindle that she uses to read all her romance books. If you have ever visted the Spirituality Forum and read any of my posts you could figure out why she has to get her romance from reading. Anyway, I don't recall you ever accusing me of cheating so I downloaded that free kindle application for PC and bought your book.

I also bought another chess book called "Chess Patzer To Master" by NM Paul Powell for only 99 cents. Since I consider myself a Patzer, it sounded interesting for the price. I read the first couple of pages already and he defined Patzer and Master as follows:

A patzer may be a beginning chess player, or someone whose play appears to be stuck at the beginning level. Yet the term is also relative: a resounding defeat may be said to make a player of any level "look like a patzer".

A master is a person who has a chess rating of 2200 or higher, awarded by the U.S. Chess Federation, or a chess rating of 2300 or higher awared by the World Chess Federation. Or awarded by his or her country by demonstrating outstanding tournament performances over a period of time.

I am definitely not a master, so I guess that puts me in the patzer category, which I had already put myself in before this book came around.

I clicked through some of the pages of your book too, but it will be a while before I will be able to read and vote for it. By that time, it will probably be too late. You don't have to worry that I am not in the book, because I have already bought it now. Of course some people on here would probably not buy it if I were in the book. So you are better off.

P.S. If I were in the book, I would rather buy the book in paper form so I could easily show it off to others.
  14. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    24 Jan '13 22:11
    OK cool, thanks RJ πŸ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree