1. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 19:381 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I took the total yip out of all of them with:
    Hi, Greenpawn. What does "yip" mean here? (Sorry for being off topic but I can't let a new English word go without explaining itself. I still hope I can learn every word in the bloody language.)
  2. e4
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 20:22
    It's polite a term for extracting the urine. 😉
  3. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 22:35
    Here is an example of a good chess video that was made a few years ago about the Fishing Pole opening

YouTube

They even got the legal rights to use some copyrighted material from Rambo. Very nice!

With today's technology making bad chess videos is easy - making good ones is not.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 23:04
    Originally posted by Artsew
    I've listened to it myself and to be honest I don't hear a hum. Is it during the entire vid or at a specific time?

I use a Philips headset to record, recordingsoftware is Camstudio, Windows Moviemaker to edit and publish.

-edit-
    spelling
    Hi I actually like a laid back approach, indeed i unsubscribed from kingcrusher for despite his enthusiasm he is not a teacher, if I merely wanted commentary on a game then one could go to chessgames. The best teacher i have found is mujnu2006, he is doing a series on the middle game at present and is an excellent teacher, check out his videos, his own site is chess endgames, i wouldnt pay too much attention to the negative feed back here, if you enjoy making them and people are watching them its hard to argue with success
  5. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 23:19

2) Shortest checkmates 02:21
    foolsmate and the less known 3moves mate for white
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf8MHiCZ5L0
    BTW - I made a list of all the possible three move checkmates for white on my website at http://tacticstime.com/?p=1439.

Trying to find all of them was somewhat challenging!
  6. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    27 Feb '12 23:35
    It's polite a term for extracting the urine. 😉
    Thanks!
  7. e4
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 00:35
    Hi Robbie.

It's constructive criticism. You know me, I don't fanny about with these things.
    I get to the point.

At the moment it's like the 100's of others out there.
    He's making all the basic errors they make. Properly done these vids
    can be beneficial, why not iron out all the wrinkles and make it a smooth
    presentation.

Andrew Martin who does it for a living. Learn from him.

YouTube&feature=relmfu

This is not one of his best but it far outshines Art's. At the moment.

A bit of practice, no wading too deep and he will be doing the RHP games. 🙂
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 10:24
    Hi Robbie.

It's constructive criticism. You know me, I don't fanny about with these things.
    I get to the point.

presentation.

Andrew Martin who ...[text shortened]... oment.

A bit of practice, no wading too deep and he will be doing the RHP games. 🙂[/b]
    Sure thing GP, but there are ways of saying things, encouragement is a wonderful
    thing, we all need commendation from time to time. The problem with most of these
    commentaries is that they never take the time to break the position down, we are
    presented with the moves and certain variations, end of story, no time is taken to
    present to the viewer the elements which formed the thought process, which i think you
    will agree, is what really interests us and is what lends itself to understanding.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 14:02
    Hi Robbie.

I get to the point.

presentation.

Andrew Martin who ...[text shortened]... oment.

A bit of practice, no wading too deep and he will be doing the RHP games. 🙂[/b]
    This is a chess teacher!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Majnu2006
  10. Joined
    22 Feb '12
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 18:551 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Hi I actually like a laid back approach, indeed i unsubscribed from kingcrusher for despite his enthusiasm he is not a teacher, if I merely wanted commentary on a game then one could go to chessgames. The best teacher i have found is mujnu2006, he is doing a series on the middle game at present and is an excellent teacher, check out his videos, his ...[text shortened]... back here, if you enjoy making them and people are watching them its hard to argue with success
    Thank you very much for the ups and the Youtube uploader (Majnu2006) I subscribed 🙂
  11. Joined
    22 Feb '12
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 18:57
    Originally posted by TimmyBx
    BTW - I made a list of all the possible three move checkmates for white on my website at http://tacticstime.com/?p=1439.

Trying to find all of them was somewhat challenging!
    lol, so it's 105 eh.. 😀 Could have never guessed. Also thx for the vid on the fishingpole. I actually tried it once at a tourney (it backfired), but I had not seen a vid on it yet.
  12. Joined
    22 Feb '12
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 19:03
    Hi Robbie.

It's constructive criticism.
    Hi GP

I experienced your posts, especially your second one as Destructive Critisism instead of Constructive Feedback.
    I'll explain.

----------------------------------
    1) In your responses you think it is neccesary to flame me, some examples
    a) Your very first sentence ends with "4.25 dreary minutes."
    b) GP: "You were about as enthusiastic as a soap dish"
    c) GP "I've seen loads of these U-Tube vids. 99% of them are naff.
    They are ill prepared, reek of amateurism and presented in a could not
    care less, like it or lump it fashion"

Why is that neccesary? I am a beginner (at uploading videos)
    And according to yourself beginners deserve better

2) Your feedback seems to be plainout wrong sometimes (which is just as unsetteling as when I make a mistake in a video), some examples
    a) GP: "nor do you offer any advice for Black should he meet such an attack."
    b) Preparation. You are correct that I did not prepare the first video you watched. However I did prepare the second one you saw.
    You saw one minute of me continiously talking and explaining, Then you stopped viewing, however you think this is enough to conclude I do not prepare.

3) I ask for clearification of your feedback, however you choose not to respond. Example:
    Art: "I don't understand your remark about not giving black any advice on how he should cope with an attack on f7.
    I clearly give a line on how to defend against the attack starting from 03:05 "

Since you did not reply to this I conlude that you where wrong and missed it.
    However this still is nothing more then my assumption.
    A simple "I missed that" from your side, would have been nice.

4) You don't seem to be very consequent in your feedback
    you think I should take time to point out the weakness of f7 in my Scholars mate video
    but on the other hand in the other video my one minute explanation on how to coop with an early fianchettoed Bishop is strongly diminished by you.
    You place a diagram of the board (after 1 move each), suggest that I am talking about this position in general and conclude that you could not take the "mousewaving" anymore.
    Since it is your POV. You are offcourse correct in your experience, but for the receiver of such feedback it is confusing to say the least.

By the way, I have learned this from GM Jan Timman after he beat me in a Simul in 2007
    In this simul I fianchettoed, afterwards during dinner I was seated next to him and amongst other (mostly chess related) subjects he thought my on how to handle this.
    The simulgame against Timman propmted me back in chess.

I've upped it on Youtube some time ago, its a fun game to see, the link is at the bottom of this post

Conclusion
    Lets start with some free (and even not asked for) advice from my side.
    Try to be consistent in your feedback. You flame me for calling an imaginary opponent a retard, however it is perfectly fine to compare me with a soap-dish.
    If you could add less scolding to your feedback, I am sure the receivers will be more open for your advice and you will have more success in bringing over your POV.

You explained to Robbie that your intention is to help me with improving my videos. So that is now clear to me, thank you.
    I'll take your feedback (especially about the visual part) to heart and try to improve future videos

Something else:

The examples you gave me:

The link to the first video you gave me, is not something my vids will ever be.
    I like humor but not to the extend that it will be distracting from the chess itself.
    Just not my style so to say.

YMChessmaster Is nice ThX!

To answer your question:
    No I did not record the vids all the same day, I recorded them in the course of a week.
    I did upload them all the same day though

Thank you for your time so far, good luck with the juniors!

Art, 🙂

GM Jan Timman vs Westra
    YouTube
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 19:37
    Thank you very much for the ups and the Youtube uploader (Majnu2006) I subscribed 🙂
    Hi you are most welcome, Mujnu is just awesome, a great teacher, no gimmicks, just
    pure unadulterated chess elements with a laid back style. (Mujnu is an interesting
    name, he is the mad boy who falls in love with the Persian Princess Laila )
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 20:001 edit
    Hi GP

I experienced your posts, especially your second one as Destructive Critisism instead of Constructive Feedback.
    I'll explain.

1) In your responses you think it is neccesary to flame me, some examples
    a) Your very first sentence ends with "4.25 dreary minutes."
    b) GP: "You were about as enthusiastic as a
    [b]GM Jan Timman vs Westra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksZK2h-M2Q[/b]
    I new that your ID was backwards!
  15. on your backrank!
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 20:13
    [b
    GM Jan Timman vs Westra
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rksZK2h-M2Q[/b]
    nice vid

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree