Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 27 Feb '12 00:00
    Hi all,

    Today I've added 4 new chessvideos to my youtubechannel:

    -------------------------------------
    2 for beginners
    1)Scholar's mate 04:24
    Scholars mate and some sidelines
    YouTube


    2) Shortest checkmates 02:21
    foolsmate and the less known 3moves mate for white
    YouTube


    2 of my own games
    3) Biting and not letting go 13:09
    one of my first games when I got back in chess in 2010.
    I'll try to explain my planning here but its a while back
    YouTube


    4) Opening mistakes 09:01
    A miniature against a class C/B player
    Pretty recent so more sidelines are given
    YouTube&feature=watch_response
    -------------------------------------

    My next 2 uploads (probably within a week or so) will be analysis of a mastergame and some endgamestuff. I might also give the suggested 'livegames' a try.

    Thank you all for the input so far!
  2. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    27 Feb '12 00:35
    Originally posted by Artsew
    Hi all,

    Today I've added 4 new chessvideos to my youtubechannel:

    -------------------------------------
    2 for beginners
    1)Scholar's mate 04:24
    Scholars mate and some sidelines
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad9PxNUjJ6g


    2) Shortest checkmates 02:21
    foolsmate and the less known 3moves mate for white
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf8MHiCZ5L0
    ...[text shortened]... I might also give the suggested 'livegames' a try.

    Thank you all for the input so far!
    I only watched #4 so far and my comment again is the sound. This time, there was a hum over the sound, which indicates a bad ground somewhere in your sound line.

    Tell me what you use for sound, maybe I can suggest something.
  3. 27 Feb '12 00:58 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I only watched #4 so far and my comment again is the sound. This time, there was a hum over the sound, which indicates a bad ground somewhere in your sound line.

    Tell me what you use for sound, maybe I can suggest something.
    I've listened to it myself and to be honest I don't hear a hum. Is it during the entire vid or at a specific time?

    I use a Philips headset to record, recordingsoftware is Camstudio, Windows Moviemaker to edit and publish.

    -edit-
    spelling
  4. Standard member ChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    27 Feb '12 01:34
    Originally posted by Artsew
    I've listened to it myself and to be honest I don't hear a hum. Is it during the entire vid or at a specific time?

    I use a Philips headset to record, recordingsoftware is Camstudio, Windows Moviemaker to edit and publish.

    -edit-
    spelling
    It's him, he hums while he watches youtube chess videos. It's a nervous habit and he doesn't realize it, so just pretend it's you for his sake please.
  5. Standard member hempster
    she'll be right mate
    27 Feb '12 04:47
    interesting ..but i hear no hum they are quite clear on this computer
  6. 27 Feb '12 06:52
    I don't hear any humming... I hear some white noise. Not bad though. In video number four I didn't hear you say which move the computer thought was best. You explained why you made your decision and what your decision was...but never gave the computer suggestion (unless I missed it).

    That's quite annoying when you've asked us to take three seconds to find our favorite move.

    P.S. Throw the box out of the window - I think you played the best move. Up in material with winning chances and more material to gain... time to simplify!

    Q
  7. 27 Feb '12 10:27 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    I don't hear any humming... I hear some white noise. Not bad though. In video number four I didn't hear you say which move the computer thought was best. You explained why you made your decision and what your decision was...but never gave the computer suggestion (unless I missed it).

    That's quite annoying when you've asked us to take three seconds to fin ...[text shortened]... ve. Up in material with winning chances and more material to gain... time to simplify!

    Q
    You are right. I did not give the computermove. It suggest Qg4. Although at depth 19/44 it changes to Qf3. I did explain why though, keeping the Q's on the board. 🙂
  8. 27 Feb '12 10:50 / 1 edit
    Scholars Mate. 4.25 dreary minutes.

    No preparation at all, you just switched on the machine and dived in.
    You left the annoying and distracting threats marker on and allowed
    the mate box to appear.

    You were about as enthusiastic as a soap dish giving the impression
    you could not be bothered and called anyone who played 2...a6 in this posittion....


    .....a retard. (The obvious idea behind the move is to play 3.....b5.)
    I'm up for having fun with blunders but no need to sneer or be offensive.

    Beginners, especially beginners, deserve more than this.

    You got the Scholars move order wrong. 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 is the Bishop's Opening
    and Black's most popular reply is 2...Nf6 preventing amongst other things 3.Qh5.

    The trap is most often set and sprung with the move order 1.e4 e5 Qh5


    hitting the e-pawn which prompts 2...Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 3.Qxf7 mate.

    In this position reached through your move order.


    The best and most succesful way to set the trap is 3.Qf3 which tempts the
    player to go for Nd4 htting the Queen and c2. You hint at 3.Qf3 but never
    show one example.

    You offer no reasoning why players fall for such traps. (apart from calling them retards.)
    You do not point out why the tender squares f7 (and f2) in the opening need
    careful watching and nor do you offer any advice for Black should he meet such
    an attack. (there again why bother they are only retards.)

    Here:


    You suggest White can take the g8 Knight or develop with d4 which allows
    Black to play Qxc1+.

    It's not easy doing these things but if you are going to give it a try at least
    put some effort in and try to get your love for the game across to the viewer.
    Don't try and do it off the cuff without a script of some kind and do about 3 or 4
    dry runs. Get it perfect.
    Beginners deserve more than this.

    (I heard no hum.)
  9. 27 Feb '12 10:59
    Originally posted by Artsew
    Hi all,

    Today I've added 4 new chessvideos to my youtubechannel:

    -------------------------------------
    2 for beginners
    1)Scholar's mate 04:24
    Scholars mate and some sidelines
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad9PxNUjJ6g


    2) Shortest checkmates 02:21
    foolsmate and the less known 3moves mate for white
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf8MHiCZ5L0
    ...[text shortened]... I might also give the suggested 'livegames' a try.

    Thank you all for the input so far!
    I liked biting and not letting go, play against your opponents weakened pawns was
    awesome.
  10. 27 Feb '12 11:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Artsew
    You are right. I did not give the computermove. It suggest Qg4. Although at depth 19/44 it changes to Qf3. I did explain why though, keeping the Q's on the board. 🙂
    Hm.

    The only reason those moves would be worthwhile at all is control of the f4 square. Neither of them are of any value in themselves. I think the box must like Qf4 at some point. I would think you could also play Qh4 for the same effect. Seems to me that the bishop can also take control of this square and be prominent. But what would I know - hmph! Damn boxes!

    I would like you to go through the computers (idea? can we call it an idea?) and see if its interested in f4 or if it has something completely separate in mind.

    Q
  11. 27 Feb '12 12:08
    The humming's there, but I had to put it up to eleven to hear it.
  12. 27 Feb '12 12:57
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Scholars Mate. 4.25 dreary minutes.

    No preparation at all, you just switched on the machine and dived in.
    You left the annoying and distracting threats marker on and allowed
    the mate box to appear.

    You were about as enthusiastic as a soap dish giving the impression
    you could not be bothered and called anyone who played 2...a6 in this posittion. ...[text shortened]... 3 or 4
    dry runs. Get it perfect.
    Beginners deserve more than this.

    (I heard no hum.)
    You are right about the d4 remark I'll cut it and re-up the video.

    I don't think that anyone will be offended by my use of language, especially not since there are no players/people I am referring to.

    I don't understand your remark about not giving black any advice on how he should cope with an attack on f7. I clearly give a line on how to defend against the attack starting from 03:05

    Thanks for your reply and feedback.

    So what is your feedback on the other 3 vids? Did you see them?
  13. 27 Feb '12 13:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    Hm.

    The only reason those moves would be worthwhile at all is control of the f4 square. Neither of them are of any value in themselves. I think the box must like Qf4 at some point. I would think you could also play Qh4 for the same effect. Seems to me that the bishop can also take control of this square and be prominent. But what would I know - hmph! D ...[text shortened]... idea?) and see if its interested in f4 or if it has something completely separate in mind.

    Q
    Hi Q

    In this position



    The computer gives the following lines
    11.Qf3 Nc6 12.Na3 Nge7 13.0-0-0 h6 14.Be3 Nf5 15.Bb5 Nxe3 16.Qxe3 Qe7
    11.Qg4 Qg6 12.Nd2 Nc6 13.Bd3 Nh6 14.Qf4 Nf5 15. Rg1 h6 16.Bh4 Rf8
    11.Qh4 Ne7 12.Nc3 Nbc6 13.0-0-0

    I cant really add to the explanation I allready gave. Perhaps someone else?

    -edit- added another line
  14. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    27 Feb '12 19:12 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    The humming's there, but I had to put it up to eleven to hear it.
    It wasn't a huge hum, but I could definitely hear it. I will try with earphones and another comp but there should be no hum at any volume level. It is an audio line grounding problem somewhere. It could even be in my own sound system, which is why I will check on another comp.

    Well, I hooked up earbuds to my work computer and went to the site and found no hum. Now I better look at my home sound system for hum. I never heard hum before on my home system though. News at 11.
  15. 27 Feb '12 19:18 / 1 edit
    "So what is your feedback on the other 3 vids? Did you see them?."

    I looked at vid 4. (did you do them all on the same day?)

    You spent ages talking about this position....


    ....with the mouse pointer going all over the place telling us what you were
    going to do or what you sometimes do.

    I think you are using Chessbase. it has a flashing squares feature these can
    highlight squares much better than waving the mouse pointer over them.

    To be honest one mintue of mouse waving was enough. I've no idea what happend next.
    You lost me. (I see a computer has become involved.....I can only guess how that happened.)

    Get the viewer interested from the off. Make them think here is something you
    just don't want to miss. Try to sound like you are enjoying showing it.

    I've seen loads of these U-Tube vids. 99% of them are naff.
    They are ill prepared, reek of amateurism and presented in a could not
    care less, like it or lump it fashion.

    I took the total yip out of all of them with:

    YouTube

    I'm not saying it's any good but that took ages to prepare and went through
    many dry runs.

    I'm sorry to go one about preparation but to do things correctly and for your
    audience to take you seriously you must carefully select your games and work
    to a script. Doing it off the cuff shows.
    You must also enjoy it and more importantly you must want to do it.
    You asked for a free opinion.

    Tomorow night I am giving at 20-30 minute lecture to the Scottish Juniors.
    I have spent hours preparing this lecture. Hours.
    I know the game I am going to show backwards, inside out, upside down and back to front.

    I have some jokes ready, I have anticipated where the questions will come from
    and have an opening talk gimmick that will hold their attention.
    The whole show is going to be instructive fun and I'll thoroughly enjoy it.
    Looking foward to it.