50 move rule

50 move rule

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
05 Feb 15

Is there a location where I can get a count of the moves made while game is in progress?🙂

K

Moves
06 Feb 15

Woops
Are you talking about a game of yours on RHP? I don't know of a way to have automatic counting. Perhaps, you will have to count the moves by hand. If I am not wrong, it is 50 pairs of moves.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
06 Feb 15

Originally posted by woops
Is there a location where I can get a count of the moves made while game is in progress?🙂
You mean to tell me you haven't been counting?? Woops! 😛

Look at your game page, find Details, game details, half moves is the number of half moves since a pawn move or a capture.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
06 Feb 15

PGN section > FEN > 2nd-to-the-last number.

That's HALF moves, so it's not claimable until the counter hits 100.

w

Moves
06 Feb 15

Thank you people, I knew you would come through.🙂

DC
Student

Aylesbury

Moves
06 Feb 15

Quite often there will be a 3 times repetition of position before the 50 rule move kicks in.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
06 Feb 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Duncan Clarke
Quite often there will be a 3 times repetition of position before the 50 rule move kicks in.
The main time you see a 50-move draw is in an endgame that's tough to win in time (such as mate with only an N and B), or at all [such as opposite-color Bishops], when one side just can't bear to admit they can't win anymore, after being better/winning for most of the game.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
07 Feb 15

I have found an easy way to do it is to just select "claim draw" everytime you submit a move. That way you won't miss a threefold repetition before you reach the 50...

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
08 Feb 15

Thank you people, I knew you would come through.🙂
That's what she said.

Australia

Moves
09 Feb 15

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
I have found an easy way to do it is to just select "claim draw" everytime you submit a move. That way you won't miss a threefold repetition before you reach the 50...
I use this method too. Most of the time I can't spot a third repetition until it's too late to take advantage of it.