1. e4
    Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    25422
    17 Jan '17 13:55

    Hints on your first blind date from Boris Spassky and Vanessa Redgrave
    remember to take your 1937 Chess Review (A classic collectors item this one)

    Some 1937 advice used by Carlsen in the 2017 Tata Steel,
    who also did a bit of shoulder surfing by nicking a Karjakin idea

    A spiffing helpmate in two from Dr. P. G. Keeney


    Black goes first and helps White to mate Black in two moves.

    A 1620 game from Greco that in 2005 two RHP players follow
    perfectly move for move right down to the final Greco checkmate.

    Finally the RHP Hall of Doom with three 2017 examples of RHP play.

    Blog Post 349
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Joined
    21 Aug '09
    Moves
    100316
    15 Feb '17 00:04
    Would anyone care to elaborate why this thread would get two thumbs down? I thought it was pretty good. What did I miss? 😉
  3. e4
    Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    25422
    15 Feb '17 01:10
    Hi Paul,

    I always pick up a couple or three every now and then. When I notice that is.
    Some people don't like it...so some people don't like it. (shrug)

    I'd like some feedback as to why then maybe I can try and improve or feature
    something they would like. But a blind thumbs down does not bother me at all.

    (between you and me it is probably disgruntled 'Hall of Doom' residents.) 🙂
  4. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    16635
    15 Feb '17 18:48
    Nah, it's people that want to get IN the Hall of Doom. So many players out there are playing the craziest moves and deliberately set traps for themselves, fighting to get in there. But your strict policy of maximally about 3 to 4 games a piece frustrates them tremendously.

    😉
  5. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    116628
    16 Feb '17 01:29
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    [b]

    Hints on your first blind date from Boris Spassky and Vanessa Redgrave
    remember to take your 1937 Chess Review (A classic collectors item this one)

    Some 1937 advice used by Carlsen in the 2017 Tata Steel,
    who also did a bit of shoulder surfing by nicking a Karjakin idea

    A spiffing helpmate in two from Dr. P. G. Keeney

    [fen] 8/ ...[text shortened]... Hall of Doom with three 2017 examples of RHP play.

    Blog Post 349
    [/b]
    Reveal Hidden Content
    1.a1=B Bg8 2.c1=B Bh7
  6. e4
    Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    25422
    16 Feb '17 12:132 edits
    Hi BigDog. - correct,

    Hi tvochess,

    So you think more 'Hall of Doom' OK. (but I reckon it means more thumbs down 🙂 )

    Once a day I skip through the finished games on 'View Games' looking for checkmate
    candidates. I look at the final position and if it looks double-edged or mate from nowhere
    I have a look. Just found this. Black can win a piece, misses it, White can take the Queen,
    White misses it instead White defends a Rook and gets back rank mated.

    All that from the final position

    .




    Shortly after finding the above game I found this.
    Can you spot the missed killer move for Black in this game.

  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Joined
    27 Oct '04
    Moves
    79148
    16 Feb '17 16:041 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi BigDog. - correct,

    Hi tvochess,

    So you think more 'Hall of Doom' OK. (but I reckon it means more thumbs down 🙂 )

    Once a day I skip through the finished games on 'View Games' looking for checkmate
    candidates. I look at the final position and if it looks double-edged or mate from nowhere
    I have a look. Just found this. Black can win a piece, ...[text shortened]... 1+ 42. Kf3 Qf1+ 43. Kg3 Qe1+ 44. Kg2 Qe2+ 45. Kg3 Qe1+
    46. Kg2 Qd2+ 47. Kg3 Qe1+ 48. Kg2 [/pgn]
    Hi GP.,
    regarding the thumbs down I can think of two possibilities. One was provided by another player on this site I know in real life who said: "It seems to be laughing at weaker players.". So it's possible that that is the reason some people put thumbs down. I persuaded him that that wasn't the point and I think he reads them now. The other possibility is that people are trying to click thumbs up, but are drunk and hit the wrong button...

    My own feeling is that there's more for weaker players to learn from the types of mistakes in weak players' games than there is from super-grandmaster games. The problem with playing through GM games played since some time around 1960 is that they are too good, one doesn't see the type of mistakes GM's cut out. They abound in RHP games.

    My browser isn't rendering those two games you posted correctly, it seems to be to do with some carriage returns in the game score, the technology seems to insist on spaces. So I've reproduced them below:

    Game 1:


    Game 2:
  8. e4
    Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    25422
    17 Feb '17 01:00
    Hi DeepThought,

    The PGN's I posted worked OK for me, must be a browser conflict. somewhere.

    Re the Thumbs thing, I am not bothered, but a comment with them would be nice.
    Paul mentioned it so I answered.

    Regarding laughing at weaker players.
    Nobody is laughing at them, but laughing with them.

    You have to laugh if you do a silly move on here. It is so easy.
    I've done it, everyone has. We all play too many games and just rush though them.
    99% of the mistake in the Hall of Doom you would not see in an OTB game.

    I gather the best (the silliest) and hopefully sometimes an instructive point crops up.
    I do not make the games up. These moves have been played.

    It's a harmless piece of fun. and believe me, if anybody starts seriously taking pot
    shots at my guys (I call them all 'my guys'😉 then I defend them.

    I have never, in all my posts or writings every used the term 'patzer' unless I am
    talking about myself. (or a 2750+ player!).

    Talking of which I've recently gone back to OTB games after a 6 year lay off.
    I've lost 3 to some very silly late in the game blunders. It's why I stopped in
    the first place, my board stamina was shot to hell.

    I knew at 66 I'd not come back with the same strength (my last OTB grade was 1999 -
    it's going to be 1600 very soon) I really am bad and late in the game the board swims..
    I need to catch them in an opening trap !

    People mention Korchnoi and Lasker when playing at 66 but these were great players.
    The players I grew up have all stopped playing .
    But I'll carry on. I am enjoying it, despite the silly losses.
  9. Kalispell, MT
    Joined
    05 Jul '08
    Moves
    23554
    17 Feb '17 04:26
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi DeepThought,

    The PGN's I posted worked OK for me, must be a browser conflict. somewhere.

    Re the Thumbs thing, I am not bothered, but a comment with them would be nice.
    Paul mentioned it so I answered.

    Regarding laughing at weaker players.
    Nobody is laughing at them, but laughing with them.

    You have to laugh if you do a silly move on he ...[text shortened]... ew up have all stopped playing .
    But I'll carry on. I am enjoying it, despite the silly losses.
    There are a few older players at SDCC. There happens to be a variety of ways for them to play. One of the stronger players is an endgame freak.
    I keep an eye on him. He plays drawish nonsense. (Caro-kahn type stuff). He loves to spin anything down to semi-basic endings...with lots of time on the clock. Then he grabs his coffee and starts taking his time. It's vicious for the youngsters who play him.

    He was apparently once a 2250+ but hovers around 2000-2075 now according to him.

    I'll write down some positions on boards next week in the club championship. There is always some inspiring chess happening.

    -GIN
  10. e4
    Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    25422
    17 Feb '17 14:21
    Hi Gin,

    I'm glad for him. In my case I am totally out of OTB practise and am waiting
    for my former skill to return without doing anything to encourage it. (laziness).

    One of the lads who beat me was 1890, he had just won a tournament (for under1900)
    and picked up the brillo prize as well. I do not think I have any right to suddenly re-appear
    and start knocking these guys over. I'm just happy to be playing again and every now
    and then amongst the disasters I'll produce a sparkler. (those I'll post!)
  11. Kalispell, MT
    Joined
    05 Jul '08
    Moves
    23554
    17 Feb '17 16:32
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Gin,

    I'm glad for him. In my case I am totally out of OTB practise and am waiting
    for my former skill to return without doing anything to encourage it. (laziness).

    One of the lads who beat me was 1890, he had just won a tournament (for under1900)
    and picked up the brillo prize as well. I do not think I have any right to suddenly re-appear
    and ...[text shortened]... again and every now
    and then amongst the disasters I'll produce a sparkler. (those I'll post!)
    Please do.

    I have some games inspired by your all-or-nothing style. As you know from the years I've been here; I play the English with QGD transposition at times with absolute exclusivity.

    It was a combination of a youngsters comment - your constant assertion of attacking chess for anything other than strong experts - and apprecitation of Mr. Morphy that spurred my jump into this new style.

    I had just finished playing a 1750+ player and grinded out a draw from a lost position. A youngster (maybe 8?) Was next on the wall chart. He started off by curtiously telling me his name and shaking hands. He was very proper - a Paul Keres style excellent mannered young man.

    He wiped his forehead as though wicking away sweat that wasn't there. He adjusted himself a bit in his chair and piped up - "I saw your games. I've watched you some. You're really good. " I smiled at him and replied with as much humility.as I could muster.
    "Thank you. Sometimes it looks that way. I play, always with the intent of being creative. It's a lifelong search to create something beautiful. It's more art than game for me."

    He changed his entire posture. His once relaxed, yet perfect posture turned to a very forced and rigid stature. He clearly was holding onto his discipline. He looked excited - shocked - dumbfounded perhaps. His next words shook me right to the core.

    "But you play the Queens pawn games."
    ....and he was right. I've played a long time hoping to be a Rubenstein. Maybe it's time to try for a Morphy.

    I call this game "Searching for youth"
    It's a loss. But I smiled more than I have from any recent win.

  12. Kalispell, MT
    Joined
    05 Jul '08
    Moves
    23554
    17 Feb '17 21:361 edit
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    Please do.

    I have some games inspired by your all-or-nothing style. As you know from the years I've been here; I play the English with QGD transposition at times with absolute exclusivity.

    It was a combination of a youngsters comment - your constant assertion of attacking chess for anything other than strong experts - and apprecitation of Mr. Morp ...[text shortened]... 6+ Kh8 18. Nxe4 Nxc2+ 19. Ka4 Nxa1 20. h5 Nc2 21.
    Nf6 Nd4 22. h6 a5 23. Rg7 Bf5 24. Bg4 [/pgn]
    So my first try with the KGA was a dumpster fire. After the game, between rounds I sat down with a setup board and started chugging through the very little bit that I know of the opening.

    That youngster I played? He walked away brimming, the smile on his face said it all. He speed walked to an older gentlemen in an aging sportcoat, and began tugging his sleave. The youngster made a gesture with his hand, and the man knelt down as if to hear an important secret. The youngster whispered in his ear...
    "Good Job!" The man exclaimed.
    The young boy had maintained those manners, all the way to telling Dad how well he had done.
    Losing was very much worth it.

    And I got my first e4 attacking win since I was telling secrets to my Dad.


    -GIN
Back to Top