1. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    16 Jan '16 19:30
    This is an experiment.
    Details in the blog, but really I'm on a mission.
    I think there's a gap in chess blogs in many places.
    There's a space to tell a good, fiction story while still making chess the focus.
    (Of course, this is a chess blog. Chess will always be the focus of Hikaru Junction.)
    Here is the link: Blog Post 286

Thanks. I hope for whatever feedback you wish to provide.
    –HikaruShindo
  2. Joined
    08 Apr '09
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 13:31
    I liked this story. Will there be a sequel? I want to know where this is going to.

This story rather nicely mixes chess with an exciting fiction story. I wonder how you will keep these two things balanced without making awkward deviations. Please continue, you are on to something!
  3. Standard memberjcandance
    White Hats Rule!
    over here!
    Moves
    01 Feb '16 21:29
    I never thought it would happen to me. There i was.....
  4. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    02 Feb '16 01:32
    @tvochess I will put out a sequel in the next few days. Most likely Wednesday. Thanks for the praise!

@jcandance What do you mean by this?
  5. Standard memberjcandance
    White Hats Rule!
    over here!
    Moves
    02 Feb '16 02:06
    @jcandance What do you mean by this?[/b]
    It's how letters in adult magazines used to sound. Just joking around.
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    04 Feb '16 10:24
    Originally posted by HikaruShindo
    This is an experiment.
    Details in the blog, but really I'm on a mission.
    I think there's a gap in chess blogs in many places.
    There's a space to tell a good, fiction story while still making chess the focus.
    (Of course, this is a chess blog. Chess will always be the focus of Hikaru Junction.)
    Here is the link: Blog Post 286

Thanks. I hope for whatever feedback you wish to provide.
    –HikaruShindo
    This is a big gap that I wish writers and publishers would start to fill. My old 1980's book The Queens Gambit has been read by me so many times the pages are falling out. There is so little in the way of chess stories and books of this kind.
  7. e4
    Moves
    04 Feb '16 13:39
    Hi Hikaru,

Chernev's Chess Companion has a collection of Chess short stories.

The Luzhin Defence is out there.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Luzhin-Defense-Penguin-Modern-Classics/dp/0141185988

I do recommend 'Men Martians and Machines' by Eric Frank Russell.

The Martians are a stable race until man arrives and introduces them to chess.

The book, published in 1955, is hilarious and Gene Rodenberry must have read it
    because the link between it and Star Trek are very similar.

A crew made up of humans, Martians and a humanoid travel around space looking for
    new civilisations. The human crew are crazy jokers forever getting into scraps with aliens.
    The Martians are too wrapped up in playing chess all the time to help. The humanoid
    (Spock/Data) usually saves they day by persuading the Martians to help and they
    listen to him because he is the only one who can beat them at chess.

The bit were they stand on the banks of a river on some distant planet admiring
    how peaceful it is when they suddenly see a giant insect type leg floating past,
    then another and another and another . Then they watch this huge headless and legless
    body of a creature that looks like a lobster floating past.

"Right lads back to the ship."

-----

If you think about it. Books on World Championship matches are novels with games.
    They supply a background, full of drams and have for at least one player a happy ending.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree