1. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '07 23:33
    Here's a cool chess variant that some might be interested in trying:
    queens that can also move like knights. Another fun idea incorporating this variant is to give one side the special queen and to take some of the pieces off on the knight-queen's side, taking off a number of pieces to compensate for the queen's ability. an example might be to take off two rooks for the knight-queen's side, which is surprisingly disputable as to which side is better.
  2. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 May '07 22:13
    Originally posted by artplayer
    queens that can also move like knights. Another fun idea incorporating this variant is to give one side the special queen and to take some of the pieces off on the knight-queen's side, taking off a number of pieces to compensate for the queen's ability. an example might be to take off ...[text shortened]... ks for the knight-queen's side, which is surprisingly disputable as to which side is better.
    It sounds like a very intereseting chess variant, I would love to play it.
  3. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    22 May '07 22:34
    It does sound interesting. I thought of one: have only 7 files a-g and no queen with the king in the center. It would change how the knights move across the board indeed and the bishops would have different perspectives as well.

You would have to have the pieces arranged like so: R, B, N, K, B, N, R. In order for the knights and bishops to not be on the same colour of square.
  4. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 May '07 22:38
    or!!!!....normal chess😉
  5. Corvallis, Oregon
    Moves
    22 May '07 23:57
    Originally posted by artplayer
    queens that can also move like knights. Another fun idea incorporating this variant is to give one side the special queen and to take some of the pieces off on the knight-queen's side, taking off a number of pieces to compensate for the queen's ability. an example might be to take off ...[text shortened]... ks for the knight-queen's side, which is surprisingly disputable as to which side is better.
    I remember reading of a variation on this idea where one side has the normal complement of chess pieces, and the other side has a single knight-queen. The goal of the normal side is to checkmate the knight-queen. I don't remember the goal of the knight-queen. Maybe just to survive as long as possible or to reach the other side or something.
  6. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    23 May '07 03:191 edit
    There's a variation known as "Chess with Different Armies" which includes an army with an Amazon (aka Knight-Queen).

EDIT: Found it. The "different armies", but I don't see the amazon among them.. Hmm, perhaps someone could construct an army approximately equal in strength to an FIDE army, by weakening the roiok and bishops to compensate for the much stronger Queen.

queen = knight-queen
    rook = short rook (can only move 5 spaces at a time)
    bishop = short bishop (also limited to 5 spaces at a time)
    knight = knight

Anyways, the link for "Chess With Different Armies", which includes one team with heavy color-weakness, one with the odd property that the pieces move differently forward than backwards (which means they are less effective in retreating than attacking, and that many moves are irreversible), and one heavily rook-influenced team.

http://www.chessvariants.org/unequal.dir/cwda.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree