1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 21:45
    Since I started using the Grand Prix against the Sicilian this is something that comes up from time to time as white.

I can't recite squares from memory, but the gist is the Queen moves up to form a battery in front of my rook. I then offer a pawn exchange that leads to their knight being attacked and pinned due to a mating threat. It's not much of a trap for higher rated players but it works on occasion and sometimes leads to strong threats.

Question for the skilled players, is it sound or is it actually weak? How about the rest of my choices in this game? I'm white.

2. Joined
    28 Mar '10
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 22:21
    I doubt Qf3 is such a great move,I'd play Be3.But if black plays on autopilot (Be7),and I can see myself doing just that,it works ok.

Depending on the opposition I reckon it's worth a shot.Good trap 🙂

toet.
  3. Behind the computer.
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 22:49
    Grand Prix is general is weak. It's playable, but isn't really a great opening.
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 23:36
    Originally posted by range blasts
    Grand Prix is general is weak. It's playable, but isn't really a great opening.
    Who cares whether the opening is any good or not? Can't you just hear those engines revving? (Btw, how did it get that name? )
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Aug '10 23:431 edit
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Who cares whether the opening is any good or not? Can't you just hear those engines revving? (Btw, how did it get that name? )
    "The sequence where White counters the Sicilian with an early f4 received the name Grand Prix Attack when it was used with great success by players on the British weekend circuit in the 1970s. Though the line can be treated positionally in some variations with Bxc6 and play against Black's weakened pawn structure, it is usually thought of as an attacking line with f4-f5 the characteristic thrust."

-jeremysilman.com
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Aug '10 00:14
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    "The sequence where White counters the Sicilian with an early f4 received the name Grand Prix Attack when it was used with great success by players on the British weekend circuit in the 1970s. Though the line can be treated positionally in some variations with Bxc6 and play against Black's weakened pawn structure, it is usually thought of as an attacking line with f4-f5 the characteristic thrust."

-jeremysilman.com
    Thanks!
  7. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 14:46
    Isn't their a line where white sacs the queen? or black? lol
  8. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    31 Aug '10 15:20
    This is less a trap and more just Black not appreciating the danger of tempo in the Sicilian.

The GPA is very effective vs a certain level of opposition and pretty harmless against a well prepared player - largely because White does nothing to camouflage their intentions and therefore Black gets enough information to stymie the attack. Sort of like systems where White plays an early Bc4-

The GPA is more effective when mixed into a repertoire with either the Closed Sicilian or Nc3 style open Sicilians. The use of transpositions get White a lot better play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree