1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 04:12
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    Get over yourself. Stay out of the chess forum you moronic hypocrite. Every time you post in this forum, you are going back on your word. Save your crap for the spirit forum. Your delusions aren't needed here.
    I don't care what a jughead thinks. 😏
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 11:30
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Nor anyone else, it seems.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 11:33
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Unless I'm missing something, her FIDE rating is just less than 1700:
    http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=10000399
    which seems about right, judging by her recent games. Also, her estimated age is 19, not 16.

She certainly wouldn't kick my butt in a chess match, I am a far stronger player than her. But that's beside the point, apparently she's one ...[text shortened]... 't imagine there's much call for that in Uganda, unless it's sponsored by the government.
    My mistake, 1686 according to the 2012 list. I saw it reported as 2002 but like you say it may have been the Olympiad result.
  4. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 12:181 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    What worries me is that she may be deluded into thinking that chess is going to improve her position in life.
    It's not like she had many options to choose from and decided to become a chess pro just for kicks. Sounds like that was her only way out.

There are ways to make a living out of chess without being a world class player. You can teach people who are even weaker than you. If you're among the best in your country/region, you can get paid to participate in some tournaments. And, if your story manages to inspire a few thousand people, you might score a book/movie gig. Sounds like enough money to improve your position in life, if you live in a poor African country.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 18:06
    Originally posted by danilop
    It's not like she had many options to choose from and decided to become a chess pro just for kicks. Sounds like that was her only way out.

There are ways to make a living out of chess without being a world class player. You can teach people who are even weaker than you. If you're among the best in your country/region, you can get paid to participate in so ...[text shortened]... nds like enough money to improve your position in life, if you live in a poor African country.
    Besides, she already HAS improved her life.
  6. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 04:401 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    If you don't care what I think, then you or someone should take a poll of people who would rather you stay in the spirit forum and stay out if this one like you promised. I think you will find that the opinion of this jarhead us quite popular. People also want you to stop using an engine, but you don't care about that either.

Edit written from iPhone... I'm all thumbs and auto correct is In full force. I probably didn't catch all the corrections
  7. Joined
    30 Jul '11
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 10:30
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    "PHIONA MUTESI IS the ultimate underdog. To be African is to be an underdog in the world. To be Ugandan is to be an underdog in Africa. To be from Katwe is to be an underdog in Uganda. And finally, to be female is to be an underdog in Katwe."
    This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

Those who cannot do, teach. Those who cannot teach, teach gym. Those who cannot teach gym, run for political office.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 11:572 edits
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    If you don't care what I think, then you or someone should take a poll of people who would rather you stay in the spirit forum and stay out if this one like you promised. I think you will find that the opinion of this jarhead us quite popular. People also want you to stop using an engine, but you don't care about that either.

Edit written from iPhone... ...[text shortened]... 'm all thumbs and auto correct is In full force. I probably didn't catch all the corrections
    When I was in the Army, we used to relate the intelligence of the Marine "jugheads" as about equal to the "grunts" or "ground pounders" of the Army. However, I have two brother-in-laws that have retired from the Marines that are pretty intelligent guys. One went from Private to Major and retired in 20 years. The other one could have been the top Marine enlisted man, but refused it and retired with 30 years service. I don't really know any real "jugheads" but the later one is my wife's brother and I used to call him 'jughead" behind his back. He is the same age as me. The former one is the husband of my wife's older sister and was already a commisioned officer when I met him. So "jughead" did not seem to fit him at the time.

P.S. So you are my "jughead" now? I can be brave from far away. 😏
  9. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 08:41
    Why is she not a chess genius? If never having been educated I worked out all of Newtons laws I would be a genius even if most educated eleven year olds had been taught them. That is different to then determining whether I would go on to become a professor. Not enough info to determine whether she is a genius but a hearty well done anyway.
  10. Joined
    31 Dec '12
    Moves
    31 Dec '12 13:14

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree