1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '12 09:18
    http://edition.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c4#/video/bestoftv/2012/12/09/exp-ugandan-chess-prodigy.cnn

This is a great story!
  2. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 06:52
    "PHIONA MUTESI IS the ultimate underdog. To be African is to be an underdog in the world. To be Ugandan is to be an underdog in Africa. To be from Katwe is to be an underdog in Uganda. And finally, to be female is to be an underdog in Katwe."
  3. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 09:29
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    "PHIONA MUTESI IS the ultimate underdog. To be African is to be an underdog in the world. To be Ugandan is to be an underdog in Africa. To be from Katwe is to be an underdog in Uganda. And finally, to be female is to be an underdog in Katwe."
    Thats enough underdogs.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '12 11:22
    Her chess is better than it was at the last olympiad, when she was little more than a beginner, but she's still a very weak player and I don't really see how building her up to be anything else is going to help her.
  5. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 02:482 edits
    Calling her a "chess prodigy" or a "player to watch" isn't really accurate. Some editors have the bad habit of exaggerating a perfectly fine story for the sake of a better headline.

I think this is the most appropriate piece on that subject:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/18/ugandan-phiona-mutesi-chess-player

"Phiona's present playing standard is that of a modest but competent club player but, placed in the context of her environmental and educational deprivation, her achievement in reaching such a level has been awe-inspiring."

If you are a club player from a wealthy country, breaking 1600 is nothing to write home about. You have all the resources necessary to do so. No one will give you a pat in the back for that.

If you are a poor girl from Uganda and you break 1600, your story is extraordinary. You deserve a medal, a book and a Disney movie about you. It's all fine, as long as you make sure that no clueless journalist calls you a chess genius.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 04:35
    Originally posted by danilop
    Calling her a "chess prodigy" or a "player to watch" isn't really accurate. Some editors have the bad habit of exaggerating a perfectly fine story for the sake of a better headline.

I think this is the most appropriate piece on that subject:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/18/ugandan-phiona-mutesi-chess-player

"Phiona's present playing sta ...[text shortened]... ll fine, as long as you make sure that no clueless journalist calls you a chess genius.
    Yeah, When I broke 1600 nobody gave a crap. Now that I am back under 1600 nobody still gives a crap.
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '12 07:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yeah, When I broke 1600 nobody gave a crap. Now that I am back under 1600 nobody still gives a crap.
    Perhaps this was said in jest, still your constant craving for attention is quite sad. This thread is about a Ugandan girl chess player and your self-serving remark has no place in it. Don't be surprised then that most posters dislike you...

The irony is that you may not be a bad person but - what comes out is pretty annoying and inane most times.

You seem to be a lonely person with a paranoid need to be recognized (that would explain your alleged use of an engine). But you're not achieving it, you're hurting yourself, psychologically.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 14:47
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Her chess is better than it was at the last olympiad, when she was little more than a beginner, but she's still a very weak player and I don't really see how building her up to be anything else is going to help her.
    Well I wouldn't mind having a 2000+ FIDE rating. Besides, she is only 16 NOW. She will undoubtedly get higher class coaches now with that publicity.

I wouldn't be surprised if she kicked YOUR butt.
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 16:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well I wouldn't mind having a 2000+ FIDE rating. Besides, she is only 16 NOW. She will undoubtedly get higher class coaches now with that publicity.

I wouldn't be surprised if she kicked YOUR butt.
    Unless I'm missing something, her FIDE rating is just less than 1700:
    http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=10000399
    which seems about right, judging by her recent games. Also, her estimated age is 19, not 16.

She certainly wouldn't kick my butt in a chess match, I am a far stronger player than her. But that's beside the point, apparently she's one of the best female players of her country, whereas I am not even in the top 200 male players in mine.

What worries me is that she may be deluded into thinking that chess is going to improve her position in life. There are thousands of women stronger than her in the world, how can she possibly make a living as a chess professional? Maybe she could become a chess coach, but I can't imagine there's much call for that in Uganda, unless it's sponsored by the government.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 16:53
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Unless I'm missing something, her FIDE rating is just less than 1700:
    http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=10000399
    which seems about right, judging by her recent games. Also, her estimated age is 19, not 16.

She certainly wouldn't kick my butt in a chess match, I am a far stronger player than her. But that's beside the point, apparently she's one ...[text shortened]... 't imagine there's much call for that in Uganda, unless it's sponsored by the government.
    Who gives a crap?
  11. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 18:33
    Who gives a crap?
    I don't know who gives it, but you take it everwhere.
  12. under your bed
    Moves
    18 Dec '12 23:02
    I'm confused - how is she a Candidate Master @ 1600 - is it because her TPR went over 2200 at one point?
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 01:13
    I think she is a WCM, not a CM.

Apparently she was awarded this title for her performance at the 2012 Olympiad.
  14. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 03:34

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 03:37
    Who gives a crap?
    Get over yourself. Stay out of the chess forum you moronic hypocrite. Every time you post in this forum, you are going back on your word. Save your crap for the spirit forum. Your delusions aren't needed here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree