What a schmuck you are.
    I'm glad you guys have somebody else to pick on now. 😏
  2. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 02:53
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    In parody you copy mistake especially when such a gold falls in lap.
    I lol'd
  3. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 08:13
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    See it's very easy to look in an opening book or database and translate a question mark you see there into a disparaging remark on a forum without proving that you understand why a move is worthy of a question mark to someone who genuinely does not know.

After 1. d4 d5, 2. c4 attacks Blacks d pawn. Black decides not to waste tempo or give up the centre by ...[text shortened]... g4 Bf8 28.b3 Bh6+ 29.Kd3 Bf4 30.h3 Bxd2 31.Kxd2 g5 1/2-1/2

[/pgn]
    I did not know that having endgame with pawn down is called "drawing easily".
  4. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 08:19
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    What a schmuck you are.
    Asinus asinum fricat.
  5. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 08:24
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I'm glad you guys have somebody else to pick on now. 😏
    This forum deserves posters like you.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 08:582 edits
    Everybody calm down... RJ, please remove your hand from that bishop. Pacifique, put down the rook!

This is all just a big misunderstanding.

There is no such thing as crap chess. There is chess and then there is chess. There are moves that lose and moves that win, without these two possibilities chess would not be the game it is today!

So, get down off your towering (in your own minds at least) knights and get your hands dirty with some real analysis complete with diagrams and pgn moving contraptions.

Oh, I almost forgot. There is one exception to there being no crap chess... The Colle is crap chess. Right Robbie? Now move along everybody... There's nothing more to see here....... unless you want to see GP do a jig with a pint of beer atop his head (he'd probably manage to do that, somehow drink the pint without removing it from his head and write a smashing blog all while playing a few skittles games)

White to move

🙂
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 14:47
    Originally posted by Pacifique
    I did not know that having endgame with pawn down is called "drawing easily".
    Looks like you learned something from these Patzers on RHP. Now ain't you glad you came here?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 14:53
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Everybody calm down... RJ, please remove your hand from that bishop. Pacifique, put down the rook!

There is no such thing as crap chess. There is chess and then there is chess. There are moves that lose and moves that win, without these two possibilities chess would not be the game it is today!

So, get do ...[text shortened]... ittles games)

[fen]6q1/6p1/2k4p/R6B/p7/8/2P3P1/2K5 w - - 0 1[/fen]

White to move

🙂
    My first thought is "a free pawn for grabbing" but I am sure a patzer, like yourself, has something more exciting for our new member than that. 😏
  9. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 21:37

White to move

🙂
    Thats a good one !
  10. Joined
    02 Dec '09
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 22:32

White to move

🙂
    Reveal Hidden Content
    1.Ra8! and now all moves lose the queen e.g. 1....Qh7 2.Bg6, 1...Qxa8 2.Bf3+ 1...Qxa2 2.Rxa4! Qg8 3.Ra8!
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '12 22:39
    Originally posted by luke myster
    [hidden]1.Ra8! and now all moves lose the queen e.g. 1....Qh7 2.Bg6, 1...Qxa8 2.Bf3+ 1...Qxa2 2.Rxa4! Qg8 3.Ra8![/hidden]
    Correct!
  12. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    19 Dec '12 17:49

White to move

🙂
    Thanks for that Tom. IMO one of the coolest problems I've ever seen.
  13. Joined
    03 Feb '13
    Moves
    06 Feb '13 20:54
    Originally posted by vivify
    Just when I thought the Queen's Gambit was unstoppable (because I haven't found a counter for it), here comes this opponent, with a great answer for it. The Queen's Gambit is typically the ultimate opening for taking control of the center, but black has an unexpected counter.

[pgn][Date "????.??.??"]
    [Result "*"]
    [FEN "rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP ...[text shortened]... most likely would've lost, if not for his mistake on move #20. }
    *[/pgn]
    Whoa!

stop at:

"1.d4 d5 2.c4 { I find that my opponents have the most difficult time against the Queen's Gambit, whether they decline or accept it. Not this guy. } 2...Nf6 3.c5 ..."

THAT is not the Queen's Gambit.

That is the London System, a strategically-flawed variation stemming From the Queen's Gambit, which may work in blitz chess, but not in correspondence chess.

In fact, it should not even work in blitz chess, giving up as it does tension in the center.

Tension should always be built and maintained in blitz, and it's not a bad idea to utilize it in classical chess as well.

In general, whatever the opening, at every state of the game, as Dearing writes,

"the way to beat your opponent is to set him as many problems as possible, . . .
    and so many problems that the intensity of the problems reaches a level that exceeds his problem-solving ability."

An approach to winning in the Queen's Gambit, or any opening is to give your opponent as much to think about as possible, making every effort to burden him with decisions, so as to induce his looking for the best move at each turn by presenting him with an array of choices, especially, as one of the players here puts it, in "tight, strategic battles with many strong candidate moves."

You want to win the QG, you build & maintain the board tension, rather than simplifying the position.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree