1. Croydonium
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 18:02
    Thanks for the response and subsequent discussion guys (not assuming no girls, just figure of speech). I will try to seek out some of the books mentioned, as needless to say none of them appear on my CD's in pdf format! There is one Silman book, however - The Amateur's Mind. I may start with this since Silman has been mentioned.

If anyone fancies giving me a game and a few pointers - feel free it would be much appreciated.

Ta muchly
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 18:08
    Originally posted by Dedken
    Thanks for the response and subsequent discussion guys (not assuming no girls, just figure of speech). I will try to seek out some of the books mentioned, as needless to say none of them appear on my CD's in pdf format! There is one Silman book, however - The Amateur's Mind. I may start with this since Silman has been mentioned.

If anyone fancies giving me a game and a few pointers - feel free it would be much appreciated.

Ta muchly
    That Silman book covers the same concepts as the one I recommended. He and others on this site claim it's for lower ranked people, but I found that it wasn't as instructive (I had already read How to Reassess your Chess through twice very carefully).

good luck.
  3. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 19:16
    Hey there,

I decided to improve my chess and have just acquired a CD with about 50 books on it. I haven't a clue where to start as I need to improve all areas of game. I'd therefore like to know what is generally considered to be the best book for a sort-of average player to get hold of? Any suggestions (not too theoretical please)?

Thanx a million
    Book: How to re-asses your chess, by IM Silman.

The 3rd edition also contains a brief introduction to the most fundamental things about end-games.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 19:511 edit
    Originally posted by arrakis
    I agree with Tengu.
    Pick 1 opening to play for White and 2 openings to play for Black:
    One against e4 and one against d4.

Once you get these basics then move on to the middlegame and finally the endgame.
    I disagree. I know I'm parodying your position, but I don't think it's any good learning to play an opening well if you don't know what to do with the position in the middle game, and it's no good being a middle game wizard if you can't cope in the ending. Moreover, understanding the endgame, and what makes it different to the opening and middle game, helps you understand the middle game. As a trivial example, in the endgame you usually need to bring your king forward as an attacking piece. The reason you can do this is that it is unlikely your opponent can engineer a checkmate due to the reduced material; whereas if you put your king slap bang in the centre of the board in the middle game or opening your opponent will probably like you for it...

Where I do agree is that rote learning of endgame patterns is pointless, what is useful to read about is general technique; in the same way that rote learning of opening variations generally sends you on a hiding to nothing. A good book from this point of view is called "Rate your Endgame" by Edmar Mednis and Colin Crouch, as it talks about general endgame principles rather than just drilling you with stuff like the Lucena position.

For middle games the first book I read was called Simple Chess by Michael Stean, it covers strategic themes like outposts, open files, half open files, space and so on, and I found it very useful. It costs £4.21 on Amazon, so it's not an expensive mistake even if you don't find it helpful...
  5. Croydonium
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 20:53
    Excellent - keep those suggestions coming!

Btw At what stage does middle game become endgame?
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 Nov '06 22:30
    Excellent - keep those suggestions coming!

Btw At what stage does middle game become endgame?
    there's no exact point for that. often when the queens get swapped. another one could be "when the king is better in the center". but there's really no clear way to define it.
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '06 00:49
    I say....

Tactics come first I say! Good tactical ability seems to due wonders to playing strength, and keep new players interested more.

then basic endgames. Basic meaning nothing more difficult than a 2 bishop checkmate (I actually find learning this a bit silly, since never in my life have i found myself in a KBB v K situation in my life)

openings come last, just learning the basic ideas of openings (develop based on a plan, don't move same piece twice, etc.) and MAYBE a simple opening for both sides, but not in great detail, should be enough at the beginning. Besides, studying opening lines first will just bore your brains out and make you sick of chess, if you start studying them before tactics.
  8. Standard memberrotk
    Orc slayer
    Gondor
    Moves
    01 Dec '06 04:161 edit
    I find that studying endgames help one to learn more about the pieces, how they move and how to think ahead, I myself have just started studying them and find it very enlightening, While one needs to know opening principles, I suggest you do both, or all three at the same time. spend an equal amount of time on each part of the game, once you have an understanding of opening principles, stop and go to endgames, then go back to openings once you have an understanding of endgames, and you'll see more. endgames are full of tactics, a good book like MY SYSTEM would be all you need to know about openings and maybe middlegames until you gain a greater understanding of the pieces through endgame studies.
  9. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    02 Dec '06 21:151 edit
    Hey there,

I decided to improve my chess and have just acquired a CD with about 50 books on it. I haven't a clue where to start as I need to improve all areas of game. I'd therefore like to know what is generally considered to be the best book for a sort-of average player to get hold of? Any suggestions (not too theoretical please)?

Thanx a million
    You only need 7 books! Lev Alburt's Comprehensive Chess Course Series! It works! I know it works. The first two volumes will take you to 1600+ with full dedication in around 6 months depending on where you're already at in chess strength. All 7 volumes can take you to master - if you really want it. You really have to want it. Most people do not wish to put the effort in that it takes to become a chess master. One master told me this very thing, and he said he never finds anyone to play. He either is bored winning, or he has to play a computer to keep up his strength, and people do not play like computers. Imagine not being able to sit across a board with a human being to play a competitive game of chess because you're way too strong. They end up making an obvious tactical blunder, and you can't make that brilliancy you want to make, because they guy didn't even see he could win the pawn on the surface of the encounter? But, the 7 volumes are there if you want them. 🙂 Good luck!

p.s. That 1600+ is with standard time, I might add. Don't expect to play at a 1600+ level in a casual game when you're not making the very best of your candidate moves.
  10. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    03 Dec '06 01:231 edit
    Originally posted by powershaker
    You only need 7 books! Lev Alburt's Comprehensive Chess Course Series! It works! I know it works. The first two volumes will take you to 1600+ with full dedication in around 6 months depending on where you're already at in chess strength. All 7 volumes can take you to master - if you really want it. You really have to want it. Most people do not w 600+ level in a casual game when you're not making the very best of your candidate moves.
    Alright shaker, I dont believe you. I dont think your ranking is 1800, and Im calling you on it, send over a game, surely a 1800 player should roll a little ol 1600 player like myself.

Keep it unrated, I cant risk a loss against someone with your rating
  11. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 03:20
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Alright shaker, I dont believe you. I dont think your ranking is 1800, and Im calling you on it, send over a game, surely a 1800 player should roll a little ol 1600 player like myself.

Keep it unrated, I cant risk a loss against someone with your rating
    I guess Shaker has decided to back down, good choice

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree