1. Standard memberMonty348
    Always the Student
    Colorado
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 22:15
    That's the name my nine year old grandaughter gave to the set-up we play to study checkmates.
    It's simply all the white pieces against a lone black King. I'm able to give her a pretty good fight while she tries to checkmate me, but in the end, she always wins. She really enjoys beating me, and learns quickly about using different pieces to limit the King's moves and to force checkmate.

My chess buddy and I decided to make a contest out of the position, where we play two boards simultaneously, each of us with a white army against a lone King....first player to checkmate wins.

I'm posting this to see what others think of it as a teaching approach, and also because I'm wondering what is the quickest possible checkmate against accurate play.

By the way, if you're lucky enough to find yourself in a position to teach a young person the game of Chess, do it! It's big fun. 🙂
  2. out on bail
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 23:28
    Originally posted by Monty348
    That's the name my nine year old grandaughter gave to the set-up we play to study checkmates.
    It's simply all the white pieces against a lone black King. I'm able to give her a pretty good fight while she tries to checkmate me, but in the end, she always wins. She really enjoys beating me, and learns quickly about using different pieces to limit the King's ...[text shortened]... urself in a position to teach a young person the game of Chess, do it! It's big fun. 🙂
    An excellent idea; a great way to teach coordination of pieces.

(I reckon 6 moves to mate is possible.)

Mike
  3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 00:24
    I always enjoy doing variations on pawn wars with new players. Highly recc'd for teaching.
  4. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    20 Mar '12 21:23
    Originally posted by michael liddle

(I reckon 6 moves to mate is possible.)

Mike
    really?
  5. out on bail
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 16:58
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    really?
    1.nc3-Kd2 2.pe3-Kd6 3.Qh5-Ke6 4.bb5-Kd6 5.Qg6+ - nf3. 6Qd6+ Kc8. 7.ba6 mate.

With worse play from black, 6 moves (or less?) to mate should be possible.

What's your analysis?

Cheers

Mike
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 22:59
    Originally posted by Monty348
    It's simply all the white pieces against a lone black King. I'm able to give her a pretty good fight while she tries to checkmate me, but in the end, she always wins. She really enjoys beating me, and learns quickly about using different pieces to limit the King's ...[text shortened]... urself in a position to teach a young person the game of Chess, do it! It's big fun. 🙂
    I should try that with my kid.
  7. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    21 Mar '12 22:59
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I always enjoy doing variations on pawn wars with new players. Highly recc'd for teaching.
    I should also try that with my kid.
  8. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 00:58
    Originally posted by michael liddle
    1.nc3-Kd2 2.pe3-Kd6 3.Qh5-Ke6 4.bb5-Kd6 5.Qg6+ - nf3. 6Qd6+ Kc8. 7.ba6 mate.

With worse play from black, 6 moves (or less?) to mate should be possible.

What's your analysis?

Cheers

Mike
    don't have one. just the feeling, that with ooptimal play from black, it would have to take much longer.
    pleasantly surprised, that it is not so...
  9. e4
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 01:19
    There is a chess variation. Full White army v Lone King.
    The difference being the lone King is has the powers of all the Chess pieces.

Then you have to be careful. The King is capable of making Knight moves
    and can mate White out of the blue.

Kg3 is checkmate.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 01:54
    There is also a variation where one side has the whole army and the other side has king, four pawns and gets to move twice on every turn.
  11. Standard memberMonty348
    Always the Student
    Colorado
    Moves
    22 Mar '12 19:47
    Thanks to all for your comments. I'll be trying Greenpawn and tomtom's suggested variations. Both look really fun and interesting, but will only work OTB.

"Mouse in the House" uses standard opening position and rules, so it can be played on RHP or on a Chess engine.

My grandaughter still loves playing it with me, but can't catch me yet in under ten moves. She especially loves the part where I groan and topple my King after she yells "CHECKMATE!" 🙂

I'm still curious about the FEWEST moves needed to FORCE checkmate, against the black King's BEST possible replies. I wonder what a chess engine with both sides set to "Grandmaster" would do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree