A New Twist in the French Defence

A New Twist in the French Defence

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e4

Moves
24 Jan 11

From Chess Base.

The French Chess Federation (FFE) announced that it initiated on December 22,
2010, disciplinary action against the International Grandmasters Arnaud Hauchard
and Sebastien Feller as well as against International Master Cyril Marzolo, on
suspicion of "organized cheating, serious breach of sport ethics, undermining the
image of the national Olympic team, at the World Team Chess Championship that
took place in Khanty-Mansyik (Russia) from September 21 to October 3, 2010”.

Feller (who won a board prize at the Olympiad) has issued a denial
and is suing the French Chess Federation.

t

Moves
24 Jan 11

do you also know, why they claim that? i guess they didnt simply throw a pawn on the floor, no?

e4

Moves
24 Jan 11

Speculation is rife all over the net.

The ECF forum is attempting to throw some light on the matter.
It's a good forum that one, no one hides behind an alias some strong
players make some some good and interesting comments.

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2590

s

Moves
25 Jan 11

As a frenchman i guess i have to react.
Mister greenpawn is making some ridiculous accsations against glorious players from my country.
It is notorious that mister greenpawn is coming from a very small and insignificant country. So it is legitimate to think that he is simply jealous of players from a much greater and warmer country, such as mine. But that is no excuse !
This kind of smear shall not remain unpunished, and i hereby declare a fatwa on mister greenpawn.

s

Moves
25 Jan 11

In fact the accusations are quite serious, and unfortunately, seem to be justified.

We still lack more precisions from the french federation, but from the little we know, we can deduct the following :
- the federation certainly has something more than simple suspicion. there has to be some proof, or they would never have given the names of the accused (or so i hope!)
- one of the players accused wasn't even in khanty-mansysk, so we can assume that the cheating (if cheating there was, nothing is proven yet) happened like this : marzolo followed the game on the internet, then phoned to hauchard, who in turn transmitted rybka's suggestion to feller (my guess is it happenned only at key moments during the games, it would never have been possible over a long period of time).
It would also explain why the french federation is so sure, and why marzolo was accused : there must be some phone registry showing that he called hauchard during the game.

A sad story which is pretty bad for french chess (not that i care very much. i'm not a patriot !)

s

Moves
25 Jan 11

I must add that Feller's explanation doesn't sound very credible...he says the frenc federation made up that story to smear him because ...he supported illiuzhinov and n ot karpov for the fide election !!
no comment.

e4

Moves
26 Jan 11

Hi Shorbuck.

I simply copied and pasted word for word an article from Chessbase.
I added nothing. (exect specualtion is rife which is far from argreeing).

I even added that one of the lads denied it and is suing.
Which is not on DB.

Afraid I am only the messenger, not the accuser.

Check the link:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6963

It's also in French so you can judge if they translated it correctly.

You however are speculating that one of the lads was following the game
and phoned through a move or moves.

Nobody knows what the charges are. You are suggesting that some how
the French Chess authorites gained access to Marzolo's phone records.

It could have been nothing to do computers.

However I understand move are now afoot to make all live games from now on
have a significant time lag. So what another person can see in another country
infact happened ages ago.

Locking the stable door after the horse had bolted.

rc

Moves
26 Jan 11
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Hi Shorbuck.

I simply copied and pasted word for word an article from Chessbase.
I added nothing. (exect specualtion is rife which is far from argreeing).

I even added that one of the lads denied it and is suing.
Which is not on DB.

Afraid I am only the messenger, not the accuser.

Check the link:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp? ther country
infact happened ages ago.

Locking the stable door after the horse had bolted.
yes i wondered how they did it as well, its all very covert, perhaps some dude sitting outside in a black van with laptop reybka and an earpiece, another inside with an earpiece and coughing out the moves or making strange hand signals. Poor old French, first their football team and now their chess team! As nano technology increases it will be almost undetectable, players will need to play chess in lead lined rooms to prevent radio signals getting through!

DTG

Moves
26 Jan 11

The RHP top ten probably know how it was done.

Moves
26 Jan 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes i wondered how they did it as well, its all very covert, perhaps some dude sitting outside in a black van with laptop reybka and an earpiece, another inside with an earpiece and coughing out the moves or making strange hand signals. Poor old French, first their football team and now their chess team! As nano technology increases it will be almo ...[text shortened]... e, players will need to play chess in lead lined rooms to prevent radio signals getting through!
Nah. It's perfectly easy to block radio waves - just drive under a power highline and you'll know what I mean. To block a room all you need to do is create a Faraday cage, which takes a lot less metal than a full lead lining. Blocking microwaves is rather harder, but then, sending them out tends to be kinda obvious.

Richard

rc

Moves
26 Jan 11

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Nah. It's perfectly easy to block radio waves - just drive under a power highline and you'll know what I mean. To block a room all you need to do is create a Faraday cage, which takes a lot less metal than a full lead lining. Blocking microwaves is rather harder, but then, sending them out tends to be kinda obvious.

Richard
how very interesting, we could see the emergence of chess cage matches, similar to the kick boxing ones

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
26 Jan 11

I am so dissapointed...

not a single attempt to defend Scotland.

e4

Moves
26 Jan 11

🙂
Scotland does not need defending.

I think the lad was having a joke, but you never really can tell on here.
Thought I'd better set the record straight.

rc

Moves
26 Jan 11

Originally posted by nimzo5
I am so dissapointed...

not a single attempt to defend Scotland.
one needs to mention only one name, James MacFadden, Scottish folk hero and footballing genius to strike terror into the heart of every Frenchman!

rc

Moves
26 Jan 11
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34
🙂
Scotland does not need defending.

I think the lad was having a joke, but you never really can tell on here.
Thought I'd better set the record straight.
yes we do, were mince! at everything! except drinking and dancing, in which we excel almost every other nation, with the exception of the Finns, who can out drink even the Russians, and elephant polo, in which we were world champions!