1. Framingham, MA
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 21:11
    It does seem reasonable to assume that your position was better for your having used less time, but not certain. You may have moved recklessly and he cautiously, albeit too slowly to win. I found your puzzle a bit pretentious, relying as it did on the assumption that speed/less thinking equals better play. A true puzzle has only one true answer.
  2. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 21:44
    Originally posted by dpressnell
    I once played an online 5 minute game. After about 20 moves, my opponent ran out of time and I flagged him. I had used about 2 minutes. Then he told me "My position is much better than yours you know."

What's silly about that statement?
    Was his position better than yours?
  3. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 21:58
    Originally posted by mcandes
    It does seem reasonable to assume that your position was better for your having used less time, but not certain. You may have moved recklessly and he cautiously, albeit too slowly to win. I found your puzzle a bit pretentious, relying as it did on the assumption that speed/less thinking equals better play. A true puzzle has only one true answer.
    I wouldn't even call it a puzzle.
    I came here expecting a chess puzzle and not a silly question with an equal silly and obvious answer.
  4. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 21:58
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Was his position better than yours?
    His position was slightly better than mine. I'll have to look back to see if I mistyped something, because I never intended to say my position was better than his, or that moving faster produces better moves. That would be a crazy thing to say!
  5. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:00
    Okay, I think I see what the misunderstanding is.

I didn't claim his statement was silly because it was untrue (which it wasn't).

I was pointing out that it was silly simply because it was made.
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:041 edit
    Okay, I think I see what the misunderstanding is.

I didn't claim his statement was silly because it was untrue (which it wasn't).

I was pointing out that it was silly simply because it was made.
    Right. So the answer to your question - "What is silly about that statement?" - is...

Nothing.
  7. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:09
    Right. So the answer to your question - "What is silly about that statement?" - is...

Nothing.
    No, that's not the answer. Maybe you missed it. It's in an earlier post.
  8. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:10
    😴
  9. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:13
    Maybe you asked the wrong question.
  10. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:18
    Maybe you asked the wrong question.
    It would have been the wrong question if I had asked "What's incorrect about that statement?"

But I asked something else. Check back in the earlier posts. You'll see it. If I'm not mistaken, I think you even quoted it.
  11. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:22
    It would have been the wrong question if I had asked "What's incorrect about that statement?"

But I asked something else. Check back in the earlier posts. You'll see it. If I'm not mistaken, I think you even quoted it.
    There is nothing silly about his statement.

It may be silly to make such a statement (although this is far from obvious). But the statement itself is not silly.

Frankly, if you chatted like this during your game with him, the reason he was taking so long is probably because he was tying himself a noose between moves.
  12. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:24
    Am I the only one to find this thread pretty silly and pointless?
  13. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:26
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Aw, it's funny.

The guy's has a year to think about it and he STILL asked the wrong question.
  14. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:29
    Originally posted by Ravello
    I don't know. But that raises another puzzle of sorts here. I never have seen a forum where somebody is forced to read and reply multiple times when he had no interest in the thread. How did that happen to you? Maybe you should talk to an administrator and see if he can fix it. Maybe it's a some kind of bug in the web site programming.

I can certainly see how being forced to follow a thread and post to it when you don't want to can be annoying!

Sorry, although this is a new puzzle, I don't have the answer to this one. I've got some ideas, but unless I'm certain, I don't want to say.
  15. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:30
    Aw, it's funny.

The guy's has a year to think about it and he STILL asked the wrong question.
    I give up. What's the right question.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree