You are welcome.
    Okay, that clears that up.
  3. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:37
    Originally posted by dpressnell
    Okay, that clears that up.
    Wait a minute. Wouldn't that be "Why was it silly for my opponent to make that statement?"

I mean, the way you phrased it, it could refer to the Pope, the president of the US, or some kid in South America, right?
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:39
    Wait a minute. Wouldn't that be "Why was it silly for my opponent to make that statement?"

I mean, the way you phrased it, it could refer to the Pope, the president of the US, or some kid in South America, right?
    Context, dear boy, context.
  5. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:42
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Context, dear boy, context.
    Oh, okay. I was mistaken in thinking you wanted to make a point about being precise.
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:49
    WEll I feel deceived... I was hoping for a chess puzzle even easy enough for me to solve. 🙁
  7. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:54
    I don't know. But that raises another puzzle of sorts here. I never have seen a forum where somebody is forced to read and reply multiple times when he had no interest in the thread. How did that happen to you? Maybe you should talk to an administrator and see if he can fix it. Maybe it's a some kind of bug in the web site programming.

I can certa ...[text shortened]... he answer to this one. I've got some ideas, but unless I'm certain, I don't want to say.
    I wanted to see if you had some valid point other than your so-called "puzzle",but evidently I was wrong.
    Now you're free to continue with your "which is the right answer?/which is the right question?" nonsense.
  8. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:54
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    WEll I feel deceived... I was hoping for a chess puzzle even easy enough for me to solve. 🙁
    Well, it is about chess, but not exactly what we call a "chess puzzle."

It's about how we tend to make excuses for our losses, even if the excuses don't make sense.

One guy got the answer. It seems too hard for others though, and some people seem to be offended that I posted it, because they didn't want to read it and reply at all.

Or maybe some peple are just pretending to be offended, because they didn't know the answer, and like losing in chess, they make excuses, like "this is boring" etc.
  9. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 22:57
    Originally posted by Ravello
    I wanted to see if you had some valid point other than your so-called "puzzle",but evidently I was wrong.
    Now you're free to continue with your "which is the right answer?/which is the right question?" nonsense.
    Didn't you contact an adminstrator about that bug that's making you continue to post to a thread that you don't want to post to? It's incredible that the problem still hasn't been fixed.

I feel your pain.

I think it ought to be fixed quickly so you don't have to suffer any more. Maybe when somebody gets his head out of his ass, you won't have to participate any more.
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 23:132 edits
    Well, it is about chess, but not exactly what we call a "chess puzzle."

It's about how we tend to make excuses for our losses, even if the excuses don't make sense.

One guy got the answer. It seems too hard for others though, and some people seem to be offended that I posted it, because they didn't want to read it and reply at all.

Or maybe some know the answer, and like losing in chess, they make excuses, like "this is boring" etc.
    Yeah, well I think the statement was a little silly, not because he used much more time, but because it no longer made any difference. The game is over, him having a better position is comforting but the winner couldn't care less. The best thing to do was just to say "good game." In future games, he should remember that even if he plays a better game, he can lose on time and so he should adjust to the pace that the time controls dictate or play only without time.

EDIT: I just realized "untimed" isn't a word. I think I will coin it. 😉
  11. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 23:17
    Maybe when somebody gets his head out of his ass, you won't have to participate any more.
    I'm waiting for you to do it,depressed guy.
  12. Joined
    13 Feb '04
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 23:22
    Originally posted by Ravello
    I'm waiting for you to do it,depressed guy.
    Huh? Are you saying that I'm responsible for forcing you to participate in a thread you don't want to participate in?

I don't know how I'm doing that, but if it's my fault, and this is completely beyond your control, then I'm sorry. I don't know, maybe you are suffering under some kind of condition that hurts you when you see threads that you don't want to read and post to. I hope you don't have to go to the hospital. I must have been a little careless, thinking you were the guy who has a tough reputation here, but I might have confused you with somebody else.

Maybe aspirin will help. Have you tried that?
  13. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    08 Jan '06 04:33
    You posted just after my answer, but I doubt you saw the answer before you started typing. You get the prize! (Let me know what it is when you pick it up.)

The opponent that I was speaking of had lost at least 10 games in a row due to time running out according to his history. My guess is that he thought a lot about his moves, not caring that he wou ...[text shortened]... ing he was really outplaying people due to the slightly better quality of the moves he did make.
    whatever....
    Like i said....
    I was making a statement about the whiner you where speaking off.
    This is what i thought you where trying to complain about?
    I didnt read all of you post, mainly because it was soo long and boring i guess...
    🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree