1. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 16:112 edits
    White to move:

A puzzle from chesstempo.com. There's an interesting tactical pattern in it. After it's solved (and it's not that difficult), have you seen the pattern before?
  2. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 18:32
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    White to move:
    [fen]6k1/7p/8/5N2/2rb4/5KP1/7P/4R3 w - - 1 1[/fen]

A puzzle from chesstempo.com. There's an interesting tactical pattern in it. After it's solved (and it's not that difficult), have you seen the pattern before?
    You mean a knight fork? Or are you talking about how a piece is being protected by the forking knight? If i was black and that happened to me I'd say, "Fork that Forkin knight!"
  3. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 21:211 edit
    Originally posted by iChopWoodForFree
    You mean a knight fork? Or are you talking about how a piece is being protected by the forking knight? If i was black and that happened to me I'd say, "Fork that Forkin knight!"
    Not that it's protected by the knight, but that the king has to move away from the rook because the rook protects the adjacent squares! And the knight can peacefully take the black rook.
  4. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 22:074 edits
    Not that it's protected by the knight, but that the king has to move away from the rook because the rook protects the adjacent squares! And the knight can peacefully take the black rook.
    Oh I've seen that pattern in "My System" in chapter three.

White to move draws with 1.Rd7! With the idea that the knight moves between f6 and h7 perpetual check. It only works because of the pattern you mention.
  5. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 22:16

[fen]5k2/1R6/5N2/8/8/8/2ppp2K/8[/fen]

White to move draws with 1.Rd7! With the idea that the knight moves between f6 and h7 perpetual check. It only works because of the pattern you mention.
    eh ?
  6. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    28 Feb '15 22:25
    Originally posted by The Gravedigger
    eh ?
    Eh What?

If you are thinking the black king can escape to h8 think again because Rh7 is checkmate.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 01:26
    Eh What?

If you are thinking the black king can escape to h8 think again because Rh7 is checkmate.
    Yes, but in the diagram in the OP the knight is on f5 and not f6 and white is a pawn up and hoping for more than a draw. Got to admit I can't see anything other than 1. Re8+ Kf7 2. Nd6+ Kxe8 3. Nxc4 which gets the rooks off but looks drawish - I doubt that that's the solution. If you have a line in mind put it in [ hidden ] tags [ /hidden ] so it comes out like Reveal Hidden Content
    this
  8. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 01:331 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Y Got to admit I can't see anything other than 1. Re8+ Kf7 2. Nd6+ Kxe8 3. Nxc4
    Kxe8 is illegal. That's the point of the thread.
  9. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 01:461 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Yes, but in the diagram in the OP the knight is on f5 and not f6 and white is a pawn up and hoping for more than a draw. Got to admit I can't see anything other than 1. Re8+ Kf7 2. Nd6+ Kxe8 3. Nxc4 which gets the rooks off but looks drawish - I doubt that that's the solution. If you have a line in mind put it in [ hidden ] tags [ /hidden ] so it comes out like [hidden]this[/hidden].
    My apologoies, there are two different positions being discussed.

To answer your query, a knight on d6 covers the e8 square and protects the rook and so your line for the position in the OP is correct minus ...Kxe8.
  10. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 02:38

[fen]5k2/1R6/5N2/8/8/8/2ppp2K/8[/fen]

Wow. 🙂 And I agree it's the same pattern. I find it fascinating for some reason, I'm not really sure why.
  11. e4
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 03:00
    Hi Wandering King,

If you like that pattern then you will simply drool over this game.

denkant - sossinator RHP 2012

12. Joined
    10 Apr '14
    Moves
    01 Mar '15 03:47
    Wow. 🙂 And I agree it's the same pattern. I find it fascinating for some reason, I'm not really sure why.
    You should check out that book. It has a lot of fascinating ideas in it.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 02:15
    Originally posted by HikaruShindo
    Kxe8 is illegal. That's the point of the thread.
    Oops, should have hidden the line. I'm going through a bit of a tactically inept phase at the moment. Too much focus on just the one square the knight was hitting without seeing what else it was doing. Anyone know a cure?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree