Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Neal Pan
    cya 2008 in Beijing
    10 Aug '07 17:03
    I have checked USCF websites for tournaments.
    It's noramlly set as the same format as in Canada. However when it comes to the time arrangement for US tournament, I got confussed.
    Why they have provided such day schedules like 2-day, 3-day, and 5-day schedules?
    How on earth would players in the same section (let's say 50 ppl in U2200) compete in different days since they don't even show up together???

    Help me plz......
  2. 10 Aug '07 21:48 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Neal Pan
    I have checked USCF websites for tournaments.
    It's noramlly set as the same format as in Canada. However when it comes to the time arrangement for US tournament, I got confussed.
    Why they have provided such day schedules like 2-day, 3-day, and 5-day schedules?
    How on earth would players in the same section (let's say 50 ppl in U2200) compete in different days since they don't even show up together???

    Help me plz......
    I've never played in a tournament that offers different day schedules, but looking at the tournament ads, it seems fairly clear to me. Since not everyone can take 5 vacation days to play chess, some tournaments offer shorter schedules. So for any particular section, you initially have a different group of players for each day schedule. The people playing in the shorter day schedules have to play more games per day at faster time controls to catch up to the people who play in the longer day schedules. Then late in the tournament, the different schedules merge, after which everyone in a particular section is playing at the same time and at the same time controls.

    It seems to me these types of schedules aren't ideal from a pairing viewpoint, but I guess sometimes the organizers have to deal with the problems of modern life.
  3. 11 Aug '07 00:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I've never played in a tournament that offers different day schedules, but looking at the tournament ads, it seems fairly clear to me. Since not everyone can take 5 vacation days to play chess, some tournaments offer shorter schedules. So for any particular section, you initially have a different group of players for each day schedule. The people playing in viewpoint, but I guess sometimes the organizers have to deal with the problems of modern life.
    Yes, typically in fairly big tournaments (such as a six-round swiss event or more) multiple schedules will be offered but will merge at some point, for example before the last 3 rounds.

    A side effect of this is that some tournaments will give players the option of "re-entering" the tournament (at a slightly discounted entry fee) after a bad start. This often leads to overly optimistic chess players squandering more money, but I once used this practice to good effect. I got off to a bad start (1 out of 3) in a 7-round event, and then re-entered into the 2-day schedule. The way this works, again, is with different time controls: for the 2-day schedule, the first four rounds were game in 45 minutes, and afterwards the different schedules merged and all games were 40 moves in 2 hours, sudden death 1 hour. I scored 6 out of 7 and tied for first.
  4. 11 Aug '07 00:46
    Originally posted by castlerook
    Yes, typically in fairly big tournaments (such as a six-round swiss event or more) multiple schedules will be offered but will merge at some point, for example before the last 3 rounds.

    A side effect of this is that some tournaments will give players the option of "re-entering" the tournament (at a slightly discounted entry fee) after a bad start. Thi ...[text shortened]... mes were 40 moves in 2 hours, sudden death 1 hour. I scored 6 out of 7 and tied for first.
    I've never been a fan of the "re-entering" idea. It's giving someone two chances for a result, albeit at an inflated cost. I can't really blame the player for taking advantage of it if it's an option, but the organizer drops a notch on my respect meter when he offers it. As a player in that situation, I'll just accept my results on the first try.
  5. Standard member Neal Pan
    cya 2008 in Beijing
    11 Aug '07 03:21
    I see.
    But I can't imagine how unfair that will be sometimes, since most working ppl won't take a 7-day off just for chess, and so in this way, 7-day group will seem to be easier to play at the start.

    Just guessing...