1. Joined
    03 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '13 12:45
    I usually decline draw offers even in dead drawn positions because I love playing games. In many cases I then go on to lose (this happened recently and is probably going to happen in a few moves in another game). And I had the sudden realisation that I am not in the slightest bit unset about it.
    I guess I enjoy chess so much that even losing makes me happy. Is that weird?
  2. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Jul '13 13:59
    Originally posted by cabandmush
    I usually decline draw offers even in dead drawn positions because I love playing games. In many cases I then go on to lose (this happened recently and is probably going to happen in a few moves in another game). And I had the sudden realisation that I am not in the slightest bit unset about it.
    No it's not weird. However, since I hate losing, does that mean I don't enjoy chess?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '13 18:15
    Originally posted by hamworld
    No it's not weird. However, since I hate losing, does that mean I don't enjoy chess?
    No, it means that if you are going to continue to play chess you'll have to learn now to deal with losing. It wouldn't be so obvious to other people that you are having to deal with the issue if it doesn't trigger an anger response. 😀

Chess has really helped me to deal with my anger problems, but it hasn't always been very pretty. 🙁
  4. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    06 Jul '13 21:24
    ...If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same...

..If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings...

...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jul '13 01:44
    Well, it depends on what is at stake by not agreeing to a draw. Sometimes when you are in a Chess tournament where a lot of money is on the line, it may be prudent to agree to a draw, like I did, rather than gamble to try to get a clear first place and not finish in the top three.

The Instructor
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    08 Jul '13 00:00
    It seems inevitable, when I refuse a draw offer I end up losing. It's as if the position was balanced and playing on and pressing upsets the balance and then crashes upon my head.
    My take, I accept most reasonable draw offers. 🙂
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jul '13 00:55

Become a Realist: offer/accept the draw in unwinnable positions,
    irrespective of your opponent's rating. Your play will improve.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree