1. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 16:502 edits
    A position from a recent game:

Black just played Re8.

The whole game is here. I think I was lucky because I really messed up the opening. (I've never played this opening.)

Could you please tell me what I should have done with my bishops? They worked out quite nicely but I think only because of the unfortunate rook move. I don't see anything for myself after Bg7 is played.

I think Bd3 was a bad idea because it cost me a tempo. What should I have done instead? Also, both Bc4 and Bf4 put my bishops on unprotected squares which probably wasn't good...

And what about 14.d5?
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 17:44
    you did mess up the opening but it all worked out in the end.

1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.exd5 cxd5 4.Bd3 is the correct way to open.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 19:19
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    you did mess up the opening but it all worked out in the end.

1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.exd5 cxd5 4.Bd3 is the correct way to open.
    There's actually nothing wrong with the way he'd play it. Its all "book" up to Bd3, which is indeed a bad move (because the d-pawn needs protecting). To answer the direct question, Bc4 is the most common move, although white has only a minimal advantage. The d-pawn is weak, but white has better piece placement. Practical results (lots of draws in master play) bear out this evaluation.
  4. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 20:551 edit
    Originally posted by Erekose
    There's actually nothing wrong with the way he'd play it. Its all "book" up to Bd3, which is indeed a bad move (because the d-pawn needs protecting). To answer the direct question, Bc4 is the most common move, although white has only a minimal advantage. The d-pawn is weak, but white has better piece placement. Practical results (lots of draws in master play) bear out this evaluation.
    I beg to differ. 2.c4 may be "book" but its no good if it is.

This the best way to do it. White develops his Bishop to an attacking diagonal and prevents...Bf5

5. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 21:02
    I beg to differ. c4 is not "book".
    You need a better book. 🙂 It's covered in NCO (for example) and over 3000 games in my database.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 21:11
    Sorry. see my edit.😳
    Im a Lev Alburt man. This is the Exchange system of the Caro-Kann. Its a shortcut that will take Black out of his main lines immediately. I have had great success with it.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '12 22:361 edit
    Sorry. see my edit.😳
    Im a Lev Alburt man. This is the Exchange system of the Caro-Kann. Its a shortcut that will take Black out of his main lines immediately. I have had great success with it.
    The exchange variation is no better than 2 c4 if black knows what to do, as its main lines are well-trod. Both are drawish at the master level and perfectly fine openings below it.
  8. e4
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 00:59
    If a player under 2000 says it suits his requirements against the players
    he is meeting (and has the points to prove it.) then there is no argument.

utherpendragon scores very well on RHP with the White side of this.

And this following game shows Bd3 in all it's glory.

utherpendragon - Texan RHP 2010

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree