Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 01 Aug '08 02:48
    On RHP: I am not sure what is my best move but finally press "submit move" and go out for a walk. After about 30 minutes not really thinking about chess, I have a flash of the position clearly in my mind and realise I have not made the best possible move.

From my own experiences In the world outside of chess I know that after a while certain skills which require considerable concentration and judgement to begin with can in fact become almost routine. So I am thinking that after a while, good experienced players can almost play a game by "the seat of their pants" - they only have to concentrate when they come across something a little different from a good player. I know when I was at school a visiting chess master took on about 20 of us at the same time and most of the time he just took a glance at each board before making a move and I think he won all of the games - (I can't remember exactly it was a long time ago).

Maybe I have not put this very clearly but it seems there is a connection between, experience, visualisation and just gut feeling. I get the feeling that some players hardly have to think before making a move they just know.

I would be interested to read what the 'regulars' on this forum have to say.
  2. 01 Aug '08 10:16
    Interesting Post.

(my sixth sense told me you were going to start this thread).

At work ATM. I will have something to say (don't I always) about this later.

Thank You
  3. 01 Aug '08 10:29
    Originally posted by dixondo
    On RHP: I am not sure what is my best move but finally press "submit move" and go out for a walk. After about 30 minutes not really thinking about chess, I have a flash of the position clearly in my mind and realise I have not made the best possible move.
    This always happens to me 1 second after I've hit 'submit move'.
  4. 01 Aug '08 11:02
    I dont know whether it could be considered a "sixth" sense - I think of it more as one of the original 5 that I have not properly engaged when looking at the position.
  5. Standard member John of Reading
    Scotch addict
    01 Aug '08 12:26
    I suggest you go for a walk *before* pressing Submit Move
  6. 01 Aug '08 13:49
    Originally posted by John of Reading
    I suggest you go for a walk *before* pressing Submit Move
    Yes good thinking. Or perhaps sleep on it and wake up with a brilliant combination all worked out.
  7. 01 Aug '08 17:32
    Originally posted by dixondo
    Or perhaps sleep on it and wake up with a brilliant...
    I often play my best chess early in the morning. Some part of the brain might grind through a position during sleep (no big 5-10 movers, just a single situation: move here or there?) And of course I'm rarely drunk at 6am, so that helps too.