A sixth sense.

A sixth sense.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riviere du Loup

Moves
01 Aug 08

On RHP: I am not sure what is my best move but finally press "submit move" and go out for a walk. After about 30 minutes not really thinking about chess, I have a flash of the position clearly in my mind and realise I have not made the best possible move.

From my own experiences In the world outside of chess I know that after a while certain skills which require considerable concentration and judgement to begin with can in fact become almost routine. So I am thinking that after a while, good experienced players can almost play a game by "the seat of their pants" - they only have to concentrate when they come across something a little different from a good player. I know when I was at school a visiting chess master took on about 20 of us at the same time and most of the time he just took a glance at each board before making a move and I think he won all of the games - (I can't remember exactly it was a long time ago).

Maybe I have not put this very clearly but it seems there is a connection between, experience, visualisation and just gut feeling. I get the feeling that some players hardly have to think before making a move they just know.

I would be interested to read what the 'regulars' on this forum have to say.

e4

Moves
01 Aug 08

Interesting Post.

(my sixth sense told me you were going to start this thread).

At work ATM. I will have something to say (don't I always) about this later.

Thank You

s

Moves
01 Aug 08

Originally posted by dixondo
On RHP: I am not sure what is my best move but finally press "submit move" and go out for a walk. After about 30 minutes not really thinking about chess, I have a flash of the position clearly in my mind and realise I have not made the best possible move.
This always happens to me 1 second after I've hit 'submit move'.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
01 Aug 08

I dont know whether it could be considered a "sixth" sense - I think of it more as one of the original 5 that I have not properly engaged when looking at the position.

JoR
Scotch addict

Moves
01 Aug 08

I suggest you go for a walk *before* pressing Submit Move

Riviere du Loup

Moves
01 Aug 08

Originally posted by John of Reading
I suggest you go for a walk *before* pressing Submit Move
Yes good thinking. Or perhaps sleep on it and wake up with a brilliant combination all worked out.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
01 Aug 08

Originally posted by dixondo
Or perhaps sleep on it and wake up with a brilliant...
I often play my best chess early in the morning. Some part of the brain might grind through a position during sleep (no big 5-10 movers, just a single situation: move here or there?) And of course I'm rarely drunk at 6am, so that helps too. 😉