1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 22:511 edit
    Hi folks,

I have been trying to learn the Sicilian Accelerated Dragon, and one of the tougher variations is the Maroczy Bind with Nc2. I've been using IM Andrew Greet's Starting Out: The Accelerated Dragon, and one of his "side" recommendations is the less-analyzed ...Be6 variation.

I have used that move in the "regular" Dragon, and I figured it was worth a try.

I haven't run the game through a computer or anything, but here's what I think happened: I think I came close to dynamic equality out of the opening. In the "teens" moves, we both were shuffling our pieces around a bit, feeling about for a plan (at least I was, and I need to go back to see if I had a better plan).

If you look at the pgn, you can tell how much shuffling was going on, as a good number of moves have to use the starting square notation to show which piece is moving!

I was fumbling around a bit, looking for a way to trade a piece and relieve the position a bit. My opponent (a pretty good player, I should add!) was wise to me, and stymied my efforts.

I think the change came when he retreated his light-squared bishop to f1, and I was able to plant a piece on the g4 square. After that, my pieces started to hover in the vicinity of his king, and the "combo alarms" started flashing- especially with the bishop on f1 and the rook on e1, as f2 was very weak.

I didn't see everything, but I saw that I would have a smothered mate shot after ...Nxb3, so I went for it.

My opponent is a good player, and I thought this was his time to win when he played the Nc2 variation, but I got lucky!

2. e4
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 23:08
    Good game.

Andrew Greet had to wait for my humble acceptance speech to finish
    before they awarded him the Scottish title last weekend.

Just thought I would mention that 😀

Accelerated Dragon - Huh! piddle pips.

1.e4 c5 2.b4! Accelerated Anti - Accelerated Dragon.
    (been trying this out on here. Accelerated bad position) 😳
  3. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 23:10
    Nice Trick!

The Marocy Bind was the main reason I gave up the Accelerated Dragon though - I found that if white avoids any blunders, black is often given no winning chances whatsoever - meaning white should be able to force a draw in his sleep.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 23:171 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Good game.

Andrew Greet had to wait for my humble acceptance speech to finish
    before they awarded him the Scottish title last weekend.

Just thought I would mention that 😀

Accelerated Dragon - Huh! piddle pips.

1.e4 c5 2.b4! Accelerated Anti - Accelerated Dragon.
    (been trying this out on here. Accelerated bad position) 😳
    I love his book and his writing style- he is very honest in his assessments, and he is not afraid to use a few of his own games in his book. I always like seeing how the author applies his own "stuff", and when he is also willing to use his own misfires as a lesson, you know you're reading the real deal.

I owe him this one!

Edit: and a bunch of people have been trotting out 2. b4 against me lately. Now I know whose fault it is.
  5. Philadelphia
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 14:37
    Nice game Paul.

My one and only smothered mate came in a game where I tried the Caro-Kann for the first ever time. Didn't really like it to be honest because I wasn't sure what I was doing. Similar to your game we shuffled about a lot in the middle - I looked initially to attack on the kingside, decided to block it up after he castled and switch to the queenside, and then piled up tons of pressure. My eyes really lit up when I saw his final move.

Graham

6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 14:49
    Originally posted by Double G
    Nice game Paul.

My one and only smothered mate came in a game where I tried the Caro-Kann for the first ever time. Didn't really like it to be honest because I wasn't sure what I was doing. Similar to your game we shuffled about a lot in the middle - I looked initially to attack on the kingside, decided to block it up after he castled and switch to t ...[text shortened]... 3d3 b4 22. axb4 Nc6xb4
    23. Qd3d2 Ra8b8 24. Nc3b1 Nb4xa2 0-1 [/pgn]
    Very nice! and another example of the double-edged nature of queenside castling.
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 15:13
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Nice Trick!

The Marocy Bind was the main reason I gave up the Accelerated Dragon though - I found that if white avoids any blunders, black is often given no winning chances whatsoever - meaning white should be able to force a draw in his sleep.
    I am not entirely sure of that. I think if White doesn't actively use the space advantage Black can play for Kingside space and have decent play. At the GM level though you don't get many model games in that style.
    At the club level (sub 2200) the position doesn't play itself like the Yugoslav attack of the Dragon does.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    23 Jul '10 16:32
    Congrats! It's been one of my goals to achieve a smothered mate but I always fall short. Well done!
  9. Donationmarsdog
    DOG OF WAR
    Cydonia
    Moves
    03 Aug '10 19:43
    I think the Smother Mate the most beautiful of all checkmates... and I finally got one!
    Game 7622241
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 01:28
    Originally posted by marsdog
    I think the Smother Mate the most beautiful of all checkmates... and I finally got one!
    Game 7622241
    I like yours better- the ones in the "middle" are less common than the corner ones, and often come as a shock to the unfortunate victim.
  11. Joined
    28 Jul '10
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 02:32
    I move Nc6 before g6 whenever I play the accelerated. If g6 is played first then black has a weaker possition. Also, Marcozy Bind is certanly white's best responce to the accelerated.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 06:051 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Hi folks,

I have been trying to learn the Sicilian Accelerated Dragon, and one of the tougher variations is the Maroczy Bind with Nc2. I've been using IM Andrew Greet's Starting Out: The Accelerated Dragon, and one of his "side" recommendations is the less-analyzed ...Be6 variation.

I have used that move in the "regular" Dragon, and I fi . Kg1h1 Nd4xb3 23. Rb1xb3 Bg7d4 24. Nc3e2 Qf2g1 0-1[/pgn]
    Did you look at 22.Nf3 at all? I think it might create some chances for black.

Maybe not, 22...Be3 seems strong
  13. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 14:30
    Anyone know of any games where the king is smother mated but not at the edge of the board?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree