1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 00:541 edit
    Hi folks,

My opponent waxed me in our other game of the thematic tournament we were in, and he had outplayed me in this game, but I used an advanced passed pawn as an "ace in the hole" for a draw.

I think this game has some learning value in that some players will look at the final position and say "No way that's a draw!"

The essence of the position is to know ahead of time that two connected passed pawns cannot advance against a king without the help of their own king, and if their own king can't leave an enemy passed pawn, then no progress can be made.

I am a little proud of this game because my opponent is a much stronger player.

2. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 01:42
    I like it Paul, good job.

Here is mine, and I am a little proud of this one as well.
    My opponent/friend is about 600-700pts higher then me. πŸ˜€

3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 01:50
    Originally posted by PureRWandB
    I like it Paul, good job.

Here is mine, and I am a little proud of this one as well.
    My opponent/friend is about [b]600-700pts higher
    then me. πŸ˜€

[pgn][Event "CCC First Tournament"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2009.07.26"]
    [EndDate "2009.08.02"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "PureRWandB"]
    [Black ""]
    [WhiteRating "1396"]
    [BlackRating ...[text shortened]... 1. Qa4e8 Kb8a7 42. Qe8a4 Ka7b8 43. Qa4e8 Kb8a7 44. Qe8a4 1/2-1/2[/pgn][/b]
    Very interesting- sort of a Gruenfeld reversed! I think you could easily have played on to win, but I know what it's like to have a clean draw in hand against a much much higher rated opponent.

Normally I would say that you should not respect ratings on RHP, but if your opponent is a friend, your personal knowledge of your opponent outweighs any number.

Good show! It looks like we might have a "What's on the drawing board" thread in the making!
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 02:08
    Isn't the Colle a bit drawish anyhow?
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    06 Jul '10 02:25
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Isn't the Colle a bit drawish anyhow?
    It's very hard to generalize, as every opening has it's sharp and drawish variations.

This is hardly a statistical proof, but in my Colle-Zuckertort foursome (in which I am the 3rd seed), I won 1 and drew 2 as white, and lost all three games as black.

I don't know the black side very well, as I don't normally play those positions, but that sounds like an excuse as I type it. Overall I'd say the Colle does OK for itself.
  6. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 15:15
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Very interesting- sort of a Gruenfeld reversed! I think you could easily have played on to win, but I know what it's like to have a clean draw in hand against a much much higher rated opponent.
    Thanks Paul,

At the end of the game, my opponent had mentioned that I may have had him, but I think he was just being polite.

As they say, "A bird in the hand, is better then two in the bush"
  7. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    10 Jul '10 19:23
    Great job you two! Very nice to watch, and inspiring!
  8. Joined
    09 May '10
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 01:222 edits

In a national tournament many years ago I found myself in the above position as black. White had just played Ne8 preparing to force a queen trade and end the game. Observing that Ne8 had cut off my last King escape square, I played 1. ... g4 as a last ditch effort at a draw. White played 2. fxg4 (the only wrong move) leading to 2. ... Qxh2! πŸ˜€ 1/2-1/2

My teammates pointed out (while laughing of course) that, in the heat of the moment, I had missed that the "correct" play of 2. ... Qg2. If my opponent (in the sheer shock of the situation) recognizes that 3. Kxg2 leads to stalemate, he may have attempted 3. Kh4 without thinking about the obvious 3. ... Qxh2# πŸ™‚
  9. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 01:44
    Originally posted by lotharstar
    [fen]4N3/7p/5p1k/5Qp1/4P3/5PPK/1q5P/8[/fen]

In a national tournament many years ago I found myself in the above position as black. White had just played Ne8 preparing to force a queen trade and end the game. Observing that Ne8 had cut off my last King escape square, I played 1. ... g4 as a last ditch effort at a draw. White played 2. fxg4 (the only ...[text shortened]... to stalemate, he may have attempted 3. Kh4 without thinking about the obvious 3. ... Qxh2# πŸ™‚
    That is a hugely instructive example of a tactical draw, with the added bonus of mate threats while material down in the endgame.

I have a real soft spot for sudden draws and mates in the ending, and this is quality!

Paul
  10. Joined
    09 May '10
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 10:30
    That is a hugely instructive example of a tactical draw, with the added bonus of mate threats while material down in the endgame.

I have a real soft spot for sudden draws and mates in the ending, and this is quality!

Paul
    Just one more case of "don't resign unless you truly have no active play." If the queens went off the board, I probably wouldn't have made him finish the end game. Tactics like this are still possible with the queens on, so why not take a crack at it?

Sage advice for the beginners around here: Don't resign 'losing' positions. Only resign the truly 'lost' ones!
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 12:56
    Hi folks,

My opponent waxed me in our other game of the thematic tournament we were in, and he had outplayed me in this game, but I used an advanced passed pawn as an "ace in the hole" for a draw.

I think this game has some learning value in that some players will look at the final position and say "No way that's a draw!"

The essence of the pos ...[text shortened]... Re3xe4 34. Rf4xe4 fxe4 35. Kd2e2 e5 36. Ke2d2 1/2-1/2[/pgn]
    Good job on that game! He seems to be in the mid 2200's, not bad for a PatzerπŸ™‚
    I notice your OTB rating is about the same as your RHP here. I wonder how that goes for the majority here? In my case, I am about 1700 here and USCF, bit higher there at around 1750 but I thought there was a larger difference in OTB V Corr ratings.
  12. Midwest USA
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 17:44
    As I HAVE said before.........never resign.

As we CHESS aficionados know, there is no such THING as a truly lost position. It is the rank amateur who thinks because they are down -17 in material and there is a "mate" in 4, that the game is LOST.

HA!!! Do some RESEARCH people and see how many games at the GM level went from being "won" to being "drawn" to being "lost" in the span of TWO MOVES!!!!!!

Play on, people. Show some RESPECT for your opponent and the GAME.
  13. Joined
    09 May '10
    Moves
    11 Jul '10 18:45
    Originally posted by teacher1
    As I HAVE said before.........never resign.

As we CHESS aficionados know, there is no such THING as a truly lost position. It is the rank amateur who thinks because they are down -17 in material and there is a "mate" in 4, that the game is LOST.

HA!!! Do some RESEARCH people and see how many games at the GM level went from being "won" to being "drawn ...[text shortened]... of TWO MOVES!!!!!!

Play on, people. Show some RESPECT for your opponent and the GAME.
    If you are down KQ v K or KR v K, there is no time pressure, and you don't resign (and take a day to move), then that's not exactly the lesson I'm trying to teach. The point here is don't resign when you still have material on the board with which to possibly facilitate a draw.
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 06:38
    Originally posted by teacher1

As we CHESS aficionados know, there is no such THING as a truly lost position.
  15. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 09:50
    [pgn][Event "?"]
    [Site "?"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "?"]
    [Black "?"]
    [Result "*"]
    [SetUp "1"]
    [FEN "7k/6Q1/5K2/8/8/8/8/8 b - - 0 1"]
    [PlyCount "0"]

*[/pgn]
    Nope. Not lost.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree