Accelerated and Hyper-Accelerated Dragon

Accelerated and Hyper-Accelerated Dragon

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G

Moves
04 Sep 06

At long last I'm going to take up the sicilian to defend against 1.e4 (instead of my previous Nimzowitsch Defense idea).It's gotta be pretty much the only defense I haven't tried yet LOL
The Accelerated and Hyper-Accelerated Dragon seem appealing.
Question: what's the current state of the theory on it's soundness?Dodgy?Dubious?Good for clubplayers?Sound at all levels?

Any pointers to speed up my learning process are appreciated as well 🙂

e

Moves
04 Sep 06
2 edits

I have a vast amount of experience in the Hyper-Accelerated Dragon and have done well with it. It is an excellent defense with clear ideas. The only variation that may be a problem is the Maroczy bind. It folllows after 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 g6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd Nc6(or Bg7) 5. c4

The same position can occur from the Accelerated Dragon.

The problem with the bind is that it robs Black of usual counterplay on the queenside and hands him a cramped position. As a result, games will be highly positional and drawish. Luckily, this is a game that both E4 players usually do not want to enter. Out of several hundred games in this opening, I've faced the bind only about five times.

If you want more information, don't hesitate to ask. Perhaps I will also discover something new from your questions and analysis.

BTW: Chess Openigns for Black, Explained offers some good coverage of the HAD.

G

Moves
04 Sep 06

Originally posted by exigentsky
I have a vast amount of experience in the Hyper-Accelerated Dragon and have done well with it. It is an excellent defense with clear ideas. The only variation that may be a problem is the Maroczy bind. It folllows after 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 g6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd Nc6(or Bg7) 5. c4

[fen]r1bqkbnr/pp1ppp1p/2n3p1/8/2PNP3/8/PP3PPP/RNBQKB1R b KQkq - 0 5[/fen]

T ...[text shortened]... nd analysis.

BTW: Chess Openigns for Black, Explained offers some good coverage of the HAD.
Cool,I might take you up on that once I start looking into it,which should be today or tomorrow 😉

P

Moves
04 Sep 06

You need to read 'chess openings for Black Explained' which explains this opening in detail

G

Moves
04 Sep 06

Originally posted by PawnChop
You need to read 'chess openings for Black Explained' which explains this opening in detail
Yeah,I've heard good things about that book.Unfortunately I cannot buy every book I need to read.But I'll ask around to see if any of my friends happen to own it 🙂

Y

Moves
04 Sep 06
3 edits

Originally posted by exigentsky
you play the hyper-accelerated yet allow yourself to play into an Accelerated dragon variation that you don't like...

if you really want to play the Hyper-Accelerated instead of the Accelerated then you could try 3. ...Bg7 and try for a sharper game.

Another good book I would say is Accelerated Dragons by John Donaldson & Jeremy Silman.

the theory of the Accelerated Dragon is perfectly sound and is one of the more positional Sicilians.

P

Moves
04 Sep 06

Originally posted by Gorgar
Yeah,I've heard good things about that book.Unfortunately I cannot buy every book I need to read.But I'll ask around to see if any of my friends happen to own it 🙂

It's actually one of the better opening books out there. It doesn't have the usual mass of variations but an easy to read format with lots of explanations. The only thing i don't like is t ...[text shortened]... ted history of openings at the start which is interesting but pretty superfluous in my opinion.

e

Moves
04 Sep 06

Originally posted by YUG0slav
you play the hyper-accelerated yet allow yourself to play into an Accelerated dragon variation that you don't like...

if you really want to play the Hyper-Accelerated instead of the Accelerated then you could try 3. ...Bg7 and try for a sharper game.

Another good book I would say is Accelerated Dragons by John Donaldson & Jeremy Silman.

the theory of the Accelerated Dragon is perfectly sound and is one of the more positional Sicilians.
I'm not fond of the Maroczy, but I am confident in my ability to play it well. All openings have some variations I don't particularly like.

Moreover, I actually do play 3... Bg7 not Nc6. However, Nc6 is the standard move.