Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 12 Nov '10 17:10
    Anyone know why Adrian Waldock has been banned?
  2. 12 Nov '10 17:16
    Won 195
    Lost 4
    Drawn 15
    Rating 2250

I'm guessing that he's the 2,200-rated suspected cheater of the month.
  3. Standard member misterrigel
    Dosadi Survivor
    12 Nov '10 17:56
    Originally posted by brit commando
    Anyone know why Adrian Waldock has been banned?
    I'd imagine it was for the same reason he was banned from chess.com http://www.chess.com/members/view/awaldock

it's good to see the administration starting to take action again - I hope this means they've fully committed to the fairplay system and cheat detection in general, and that we'll start seeing less of a delay before obvious cheats are banned.

Hooray for bannings!
  4. 12 Nov '10 18:05
    Fair one, i genuinely thought he was legit as had chatted with him. Bit disappointed now. Thanks for the replies
  5. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    12 Nov '10 21:20
    Without going out on a limb or anything, the chap calling himself one and the same here certainly knew his onions...I mailed him last year, same address as the chap that used to captain a team in Richmond..what more can I say
  6. 12 Nov '10 21:48
    http://www.chess.com/members/view/awaldock
  7. Standard member RevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    12 Nov '10 22:35
    'Advanced Chess' maybe...
  8. 12 Nov '10 22:37
    No. Just blatant engine use.
  9. 15 Nov '10 09:00
    Just like to say have played Adrian a few times lately and of course I lost....he was quite chatty and happy to play me again I believe my game has improved by playing him. At the time of playing him I was sent an email from someone on the site, saying was I aware he was banned from another site.I thought at the time did I believe he was cheating or not...and I did not hence I carried on playing him , he was in the top league happy to play a player on my level.He may have been accused of cheating on another site why would he continue to use his own name on this site...and if by some luck I win my next 30 matches are they going to ban me
  10. 15 Nov '10 09:38
    Banned from at least 2 sites wrongly?

I'm sure Adrian is a nice enough chap & he's rated around ECF 150 (1850 FIDE Elo) so he's an average OTB club player who should know something about the game. This doesn't stop him from being a blatant engine user though.

I can't speak for his activities here, but on chess.com he was rated as high as 2790 & higher than all the titled players, including GM's, several IM's & many FIDE Masters.
    His match rates there were a joke.

Knowing how reluctant Russ/Chris are in banning even obvious engine users from RHP, I can only assume that his activities here mirror those elsewhere.
  11. 15 Nov '10 09:42 / 1 edit
    Same here. Was enjoying my two games with him. Unsurprisingly I am slightly better as white while still to fully equalise in my black game. He seemed friendly enough and as I am new to the site and have a provisional rating of under 1600 based on 10 games (virtually played blitz, scored 100, I was pleased that someone decent was willing to play me
  12. 15 Nov '10 09:48
    Originally posted by queenabber
    Same here. Was enjoying my two games with him. Unsurprisingly I am slightly better as white while still to fully equalise in my black game. He seemed friendly enough and as I am new to the site and have a provisional rating of under 1600 based on 10 games (virtually played blitz, scored 100, I was pleased that someone decent was willing to play me
    Having learned he is "only" about 150 , am uncertain as to whether he could play as accurately as he did in my games unaided, but definitely possible
  13. 15 Nov '10 13:11 / 1 edit
    Here's our 1850 Elo rated genius playing GM Julio Becerra FIDE 2549 in a pair of tourney games over at chess.com:

As White:

As Black:

Well done Adrian 2 from 2 vs a GM.
  14. 15 Nov '10 23:23
    Originally posted by Zygalski
    Here's our 1850 Elo rated genius playing GM Julio Becerra FIDE 2549 in a pair of tourney games over at chess.com:

As White:

[pgn][Event "TML-ROUND 2: CHESSKINGS vs Chess Association - >1900 - Board 3"] [Site "Chess.com"] [Date "2009.08.15"] [White "awaldock"] [Black "Julio_Becerra"] [Result "1-0"] [WhiteElo "2753"] [BlackElo "2536"] [TimeControl "1 ...[text shortened]... Nc2 0-1[/pgn]

Well done Adrian 2 from 2 vs a GM.
    To be fair the "GM" played very poorly in both games and if he played like that against me, I too would beat him and I'm certainly no GM either. I seriously doubt that actually was a GM playing, rather someone using his name!
  15. 16 Nov '10 04:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by queenabber
    To be fair the "GM" played very poorly in both games and if he played like that against me, I too would beat him and I'm certainly no GM either. I seriously doubt that actually was a GM playing, rather someone using his name!
    It's GM Julio Becerra. chess.com verifies titled players details & I think they'd check a GM.
    Also, that player has been a member since Feb 2009 so I think the real Becerra would have got wind of it by now.
    That site has hundreds of titled players from GM's down to Candidate Masters.

Edit:
    I'll run both games through automated analysis with Deep Rybka 3 later & we'll see just how poorly GM Becerra played & just how well GM Waldock did, too.