1. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jun '11 08:51
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    you are assuming, a girlfriend could naturally overcome someones natural laziness... 🙂

just meant, that maybe there is something (game or hobby) that kind of really makes you want to do it. that motivates you so much, that the things belonging to it, come naturally. if that is the way for chess with you, except for the studying part, then i think you ha ...[text shortened]... ions - so flipping through gives me a stronger feeling for 'sound' and 'unsound' positions.
    yes, i think exposing oneself to positions must be good, but i like the Purdy method, to try to think how the master played, that is to guess the move and then to reveal the actual move played. Try it, its very instructive i find, sometimes you might surprise yourself, that being said, a good chess book should simply be enjoyed, its half the battle, that is what i fear from tomes like Dovertskys manual on the end game, how is a book like that to be enjoyed? Who can say?
  2. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '11 11:58
    Originally posted by Elmyr
    So I think I want to make chess a real hobby of mine... I was considering buying a
    book on general strategy, but the thing is I know I'm too lazy to work through it.
    Like I'm one of those people who walks around blind for a month after their contact
    lenses run out, just can't be bothered you know?

The thing is, it's just a real pain setting up all the pi ...[text shortened]... .

I feel like my progress has stagnated recently, so any advice would be appreciated!
    I'm not going to bother with the book/laziness issue, but I do have one suggestion for Elmyr (and Robbie) -

What, there's a chess club in your town? How can I put this tactfully? Git yer lazy butt over to that chess club ASAP!!!!! There's no courage required. What's the worst that can happen? You don't like it and never show up again? Whoop-de-do! Hey guys, life is short, make the most of it.
  3. Joined
    05 Jun '11
    Moves
    17 Jun '11 16:08
    I was thinking of getting a collection of really dull games. Capablanca or Smyslov or something, maybe Botvinnik if I can find a book in algebraic. Open to suggestions. I'd probably have an easier time going through those sorts of games in my head, as opposed to ultra sharp Sicilians with pawn storms on both sides of the board.

Robbie, are you able to go through books w/o a board? I have no doubt books are enjoyable, I'm a big reader of fiction myself, I'm just not keen on the idea of going through a book sitting straight up with a board and pieces. If so how did you, or anyone else, learn to do this? I can usually get through the openings ok, but by move 20+ I find there just aren't enough diagrams in books to keep me happy.
  4. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    17 Jun '11 19:06
    FYI

I cut & pasted the following.
    Use to own a couple. Really didn't like the format.
    I doubt a lazy person would derive benefit from such books not having annotations.

"German series Weltgischte which has a diagram every five moves. I think there are close to 15 books in the series including Lasker, Petrosian, Capablanca, Chigorin, Steinitz, Anderssen,Tal etc. These were pre-database game collections which had (at the time) almost all known games of the players. ALso many books came with a little booklet of annotations."
  5. bedlam
    Moves
    17 Jun '11 19:17
    I was thinking of getting a collection of really dull games. Capablanca or Smyslov or something, maybe Botvinnik if I can find a book in algebraic. Open to suggestions. I'd probably have an easier time going through those sorts of games in my head, as opposed to ultra sharp Sicilians with pawn storms on both sides of the board.

Robbie, are you able to go th ...[text shortened]... ings ok, but by move 20+ I find there just aren't enough diagrams in books to keep me happy.
    Smyslov is dull????

You deserve a flogging!
  6. Joined
    05 Jun '11
    Moves
    17 Jun '11 20:26
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    FYI

I cut & pasted the following.
    Use to own a couple. Really didn't like the format.
    I doubt a lazy person would derive benefit from such books not having annotations.

"German series Weltgischte which has a diagram every five moves. I think there are close to 15 books in the series including Lasker, Petrosian, Capablanca, Chigorin, Steinitz, ...[text shortened]... t all known games of the players. ALso many books came with a little booklet of annotations."
    That's (almost) what I'm looking for, thank you. Obviously I'd prefer something with notes, but if it has a diagram every 5 moves it's probably worth it for me. They seem a bit pricey from what I've gathered online though, maybe I'll try Ebay...
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Jun '11 22:03
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    you are assuming, a girlfriend could naturally overcome someones natural laziness... 🙂

just meant, that maybe there is something (game or hobby) that kind of really makes you want to do it. that motivates you so much, that the things belonging to it, come naturally. if that is the way for chess with you, except for the studying part, then i think you ha ...[text shortened]... answer yourself: doesnt the idea of improving greatly motivate you to do more of the lazy stuff?
    you know, i'm a little like you. too lazy to study and not going to get much better without it and lets face it can be rather boring. so instead of studying to try and improve my rating or continue to hop along with my mediocre ability i've decided to only play sub 1100 players without my queen to mix up my play a bit. it's fun and can only improve me as a player learning to play better without my queen.

as for the girlfriend thing. of course they do... a pair of boobs or a sweet ass can make you do anything 😛
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    17 Jun '11 22:40
    Originally posted by trev33
    you know, i'm a little like you. too lazy to study and not going to get much better without it and lets face it can be rather boring. so instead of studying to try and improve my rating or continue to hop along with my mediocre ability i've decided to only play sub 1100 players without my queen to mix up my play a bit. it's fun and can only improve me as a pl ...[text shortened]... friend thing. of course they do... a pair of boobs or a sweet ass can make you do anything 😛
    Why don't you just tell us how your cat did it?
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 04:15
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Why don't you just tell us how your cat did it?
    you could learn a lot from my cat. we all could.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 09:49

Robbie, are you able to go th ...[text shortened]... ings ok, but by move 20+ I find there just aren't enough diagrams in books to keep me happy.
    yes i can, but it depends on the publication, i have a Karpov book that has loads of illustrations, hundreds in fact, yet the writing is rather dull, also it depends upon how far ahead the writer expects us to follow the moves, i dont bother with anything more than five moves ahead, in fact i often wondered if anyone reads those big long lists of moves orders that we often see in chess books. I guess they must. I tried forcing myself to do it but get lost after about five moves, openings are different because they are so well known and one can easily imagine them in the minds eye. One of the most enjoyable books i read was Retis masters of the chessboard, because it followed the historical development of chess against the social backdrop of the times, thus although it was about chess and chess masters and had many excellent games, it introduced other interesting concepts as well. His evaluation of the differences between Morphy and Anderssohn is the best I've ever read.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 09:511 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    you could learn a lot from my cat. we all could.
    no we cant, we learn nothing from cats, rabbits is what we learn from, so innocent and fluffy, just bouncing around all day, eating dandelions and watching out for cunning foxes! look at Bugs bunny compared to Felix the cat, or Tweety pie compared to Sylvester the bad ol putty cat, or Tom compared to Jerry, incontrovertible evidence! that cats are mince!
  12. bedlam
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 10:22
    What about heffalumps?Can we learn from them?
  13. gumtree
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 11:35
    Originally posted by torten
    What about heffalumps?Can we learn from them?
    Yeah, watch where you are walking, you may fall into a big hole!
  14. Joined
    21 Jun '09
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 13:28
    So I think I want to make chess a real hobby of mine... I was considering buying a
    book on general strategy, but the thing is I know I'm too lazy to work through it.
    Like I'm one of those people who walks around blind for a month after their contact
    lenses run out, just can't be bothered you know?

The thing is, it's just a real pain setting up all the pi ...[text shortened]... .

I feel like my progress has stagnated recently, so any advice would be appreciated!
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 05:22
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    no we cant, we learn nothing from cats, rabbits is what we learn from, so innocent and fluffy, just bouncing around all day, eating dandelions and watching out for cunning foxes! look at Bugs bunny compared to Felix the cat, or Tweety pie compared to Sylvester the bad ol putty cat, or Tom compared to Jerry, incontrovertible evidence! that cats are mince!
    i think your rabbits need a trip to spec-savers, they're obviously failing on the watching out for foxes front 😛 😞

lets look at this thing rationally, how often do you need to clean up rabbit poo? the world is my cats toilet, plus he has the courtesy to cover it afterwards.

my cat 1 - your rabbits 0

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree