Hello
    tomorrow I will be starting a tournament
    what should I do to get ready ?
  2. Standard memberJ4z
    Chess Enthusiast!
    Minnesota
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 20:391 edit
    If you are just starting to get ready today.... it might be a little late... I would suggest preparing your openings for both white and black. (getting somewhat of an idea what you are going to do) then work on your endgame. study puzzles and different mating patterns. You will find that in tournaments, you can make up for a big mistake early if you have a better endgame than your opponent. (haha... this is obvious) but I think its vitally important. drop your opening books with endless variations and your strategy books and get used to looking at the board... and finding ways to pin/fork/mate your opponent... you concentrate on frustrating them and they will make a mistake, and at that point... pounce my little ninja!

Cheers!
  3. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 20:45
    it might be a bit late
    it will start within 12 hours but Ill try to do what you suggest
    do you have any website that shows openings and endgame studies ?
  4. Standard memberJ4z
    Chess Enthusiast!
    Minnesota
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 21:07
    websites that show some studies... hrm.... not usually without having to pay for those sites... =/

However a quick search on google will lead you to 100's of sites that will have anywhere from 5-20 puzzles of endgames/best moves types... when I'm kinda bored I will just search the internet for chess puzzles...

if I come up with some sites... (i'm at work) when I get home I'll post them. I hope your tourney turns out well for you! let us know how it goes and what you learned! =D

Cheers mate!

j4z
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 21:19
    By now you can forget about technical preparation. Get an early night and make sure you are in good general form for the day. Also make sure you get there early so you aren't flustered while the game's starting.
  6. Standard memberJ4z
    Chess Enthusiast!
    Minnesota
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 05:41
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    By now you can forget about technical preparation. Get an early night and make sure you are in good general form for the day. Also make sure you get there early so you aren't flustered while the game's starting.
    agreed!

but hitting the puzzles and memorizing a few main line variations will get him thinking wood and help him focus on the task at hand... but like i said... its a little late to prepare... 😉
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 12:17
    A good nights sleep is by far the most important. When you get there

a. Don't play blitz, but do a few puzzles carefully so you get used to looking at the whole board and concentrating.

b. Take deep breaths or something before your move to manually focus yourself.
    c. Bring a lunch or at least some snacks. Depending on the time control, some games can be very long and having a bag of carrots or an apple joice is a useful for staving off hunger until the game is over.

d. When you see a good move, ask yourself, is there a better move? one perhaps that better fits into your strategy or that mates quicker. It's excellent to block a threat, but it's often better to block/parry a threat with an attack on the oppositions king or queen.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree