1. Seattle
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 14:561 edit
    Originally posted by zaphate
    Some advice? How to play d4 against dutch? It somewhat restricts my movement more than closed positions.
    I'd be happy to give you some practice (i play dutch).
    All of whites ideas depend on what black does. For example, does black play g6 eventually, followed by Bg7? This is the leningrad dutch and is in my opinion the most exciting choice for black. Does he play a soon e6, c6 and d5? This is the stonewall defence and is often tough for white to crack. Lastly, does he play e6 followed closely (a move or two, pending white) Be7? [Sometimes this bishop will go to b4 to harrass either the king or the knight on c3] This is the classical variation and in my opinion seems to be the middle ground between the dynamic leningrad and the unmoveable fortress of the stonewall. Each of these lines can be played at blacks whim if he sees what he believes is a weakness in whites play. The judges are still out if this opening is good or not, but it seems to score decently.

Personally, as a dutch player i know what I hate to see, as white I will play e4 in response to f5, this is the stauton gambit. It leads to equally dynamic positions and often catches an attempter off guard.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree