1. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 22:15
    Hello everyone I am just starting to play 1.d4 openings after having played mostly 1.e4 openings. My question is aimed at people who have experience in playing 1.d4 openings; What advice would you have for a beginner 1.d4 player? What lines are your favourite and what lines would you avoid? What line (from black) do you least enjoy playing against?

Thank you!
  2. Sydney
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 22:56
    I am one of the many players that use 1. d4 as white, 1. d4 Nf6 or 1. e4 c5 as black exclusively (one of my New Years resolutions is to learn the KG and Morra Gambit to have an e4 option, particularly for blitz). I almost invariably play c4 as a follow up. You'll need to learn a few lines of anti-gambit like the Englund Gambit, Ablin Counter Gambit, old Benoni and Benko Gambit but other than that you only need to learn 3 main systems .. the indian (Nf6), closed (d5) and dutch (f5) .. its a good idea to play at least one or two of these as black to reduce the study load. A lot of lines transpose into each other so I usually don't have to worry about playing the absolute best move of a particular variation, i can just play logical, solid moves to get decent positions. I guess I have the most problems OTB with the dutch .. probably just because I don't face it often where as my opponent probably plays it all the time (dutch players are like KG players .. obsessed πŸ˜‰ )

All this said, its not an insignificant thing to change your opening repertoire from e4 to include d4 (I'm going to spend 4 months learning the two lines of e4 I'm going to add and even then i'll probably only use it once every 10 games or so) .. it's a very different style of game (IMO) and i wish you luck
  3. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 23:17
    Thanks for the great responce idioms, I am going to have to study those gambits you mentioned and definitly the dutch. As of now I am not playing the queens gambit until I research it a bit. I am sticking to the usual 1.d4 2.Nf3 3.e3 colle system because it seems fairly solid. Thanks again.
  4. Sydney
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 23:43
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    Thanks for the great responce idioms, I am going to have to study those gambits you mentioned and definitly the dutch. As of now I am not playing the queens gambit until I research it a bit. I am sticking to the usual 1.d4 2.Nf3 3.e3 colle system because it seems fairly solid. Thanks again.
    Colle is a good place to start .. it doesn't have lots of opening traps you can fall for and gives you a good taste for the types of positions that can arise from d4 without a heap of theory or risk. Watch out for black's fianchetto of the queen bishop though that's always my tactic when playing against the Colle
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Dec '06 23:48
    I would usually continue with c4 if its a closed game and Nf3 for Dutch. so far I haven't played the Indian yet.
  6. Standard memberMathurine
    sorozatgyilkos
    leΓΆlΓ©s ellenfeleim
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 00:02
    Hello everyone I am just starting to play 1.d4 openings after having played mostly 1.e4 openings. My question is aimed at people who have experience in playing 1.d4 openings; What advice would you have for a beginner 1.d4 player? What lines are your favourite and what lines would you avoid? What line (from black) do you least enjoy playing against?

Thank you!
    Read this, Chess Jester...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_opening

πŸ™‚
  7. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 00:23
    Originally posted by Mathurine
    Read this, Chess Jester...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_opening

πŸ™‚
    Hey! that is actually a good article! Thanks!
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 03:33
    Originally posted by idioms
    I am one of the many players that use 1. d4 as white, 1. d4 Nf6 or 1. e4 c5 as black exclusively (one of my New Years resolutions is to learn the KG and Morra Gambit to have an e4 option, particularly for blitz). I almost invariably play c4 as a follow up. You'll need to learn a few lines of anti-gambit like the Englund Gambit, Ablin Counter Gambit, old Beno ...[text shortened]... ce every 10 games or so) .. it's a very different style of game (IMO) and i wish you luck
    KG players are obsessed? Yeah, you're probably right. πŸ™‚
  9. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    29 Dec '06 05:32
    The most flexible is 1...Nf6. I`m playing also 1...g6 1...b6 and 1...c5
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 02:23
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    KG players are obsessed? Yeah, you're probably right. πŸ™‚
    yea, you are a pretty obsessive person 😏
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 02:26
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    yea, you are a pretty obsessive person 😏
    I'm working on picking up the Ruy. 😏

Although I'm still considering the Scotch instead...
  12. Joined
    27 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 02:283 edits
    Check out the Queen's Gambit.
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 02:29
    Originally posted by dmnelson84
    Queen's Gambit.
    Well assuming there are about two options for white after 1.d4 d5 one would assume that's been mentioned.
  14. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 19:241 edit
    I frequently play the London System. White plays 1 d4 2 Nf3 3 Bf4 4 e3 5 Bd3 (or Be2) 6 O-O against virtually any Black defense.

The Colle is very good also, but is not particularly strong against defenses in which Black plays ...g6 and ...Bg7. (The bishop on d3 "bites on granite."πŸ˜‰
  15. Joined
    11 Dec '06
    Moves
    03 Jan '07 12:26
    Some advice? How to play d4 against dutch? It somewhat restricts my movement more than closed positions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree