Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 12 Nov '11 23:08
    I want to buy some sort of tactics book for bedside reading. I figure 20-30 minutes of problem solving before bed would be a beneficial habit to develop. The problem I've been having is finding a book that's not organized by theme. I just want a giant book of random problems so I'm not looking only for skewers in the skewer section and ignoring everything else. Can anyone recommend something like that? I'm rated ~1850 on ChessCube is that helps.
  2. 13 Nov '11 00:03
    Originally posted by NotEvenWrong
    I want to buy some sort of tactics book for bedside reading. I figure 20-30 minutes of problem solving before bed would be a beneficial habit to develop. The problem I've been having is finding a book that's not organized by theme. I just want a giant book of random problems so I'm not looking only for skewers in the skewer section and ignoring everythi ...[text shortened]... else. Can anyone recommend something like that? I'm rated ~1850 on ChessCube is that helps.
    L. Polgar has a good book of tactics. A good book that still is themed is 700 Practical lessons. Its still themed but has great test work in the second half of the book that helps build. Its written by Jakov Neishtadt. I highly recommend both of these volumes.

    Q
  3. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    13 Nov '11 03:30
    Originally posted by NotEvenWrong
    I want to buy some sort of tactics book for bedside reading. I figure 20-30 minutes of problem solving before bed would be a beneficial habit to develop. The problem I've been having is finding a book that's not organized by theme. I just want a giant book of random problems so I'm not looking only for skewers in the skewer section and ignoring everythi ...[text shortened]... else. Can anyone recommend something like that? I'm rated ~1850 on ChessCube is that helps.
    Practical Chess Exercises by Ray Cheng
  4. 13 Nov '11 10:41
    1000 combinations - József Pintér

    Also without clues but more than just tactics:
    Chess training pocket book (3rd revised edition) - Lev Alburt
    Chess exam and training guide - Igor Khmelnitsky
  5. 13 Nov '11 10:44
    Originally posted by torten
    1000 combinations - József Pintér

    Also without clues but more than just tactics:
    Chess training pocket book (3rd revised edition) - Lev Alburt
    Chess exam and training guide - Igor Khmelnitsky
    you Frenchie , i am in vigorous training from a secret lair hidden high in the hill tops
    where i am planning my revenge for your series of outrages against my king pawn!
  6. 13 Nov '11 11:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you Frenchie , i am in vigorous training from a secret lair hidden high in the hill tops
    where i am planning my revenge for your series of outrages against my king pawn!
    Your training is in vain for I've changed allegiance.

    I'm again a vassal of the great 1...,e5!
  7. 13 Nov '11 11:27 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by torten
    Your training is in vain for I've changed allegiance.

    I'm again a vassal of the great 1...,e5!
    whut? how can this be? ahhh the pain! all my plotting in vain, my evil mind ray for
    nothing, is there no justice! Did you just feel like a change of scenery? What are you
    playing, the Ruy or the Petroff, or some excellent gambit line?
  8. 13 Nov '11 16:16
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    whut? how can this be? ahhh the pain! all my plotting in vain, my evil mind ray for
    nothing, is there no justice! Did you just feel like a change of scenery? What are you
    playing, the Ruy or the Petroff, or some excellent gambit line?
    The french was a change of scenery,I've always played e5

    Can't choose the ruy as black,that's up to white.I play 2 knights,open ruy,lines with Bc5 vs KG and scotch.
    And pretty much anything I feel like trying depending the mood I'm in.

    Btw,we're slightly off topic
  9. Standard member nimzo5
    Ronin
    13 Nov '11 16:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you Frenchie , i am in vigorous training from a secret lair hidden high in the hill tops
    where i am planning my revenge for your series of outrages against my king pawn!
    It's true he is.

    and Anatoly Lein's "sharpen your tactics" if you can find a decent used copy of it.
  10. 13 Nov '11 22:27
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    It's true he is.

    and Anatoly Lein's "sharpen your tactics" if you can find a decent used copy of it.
    This is exactly what I'm looking for. Only problem is it's impossible to find. Only copies around seem to be around $40 on Amazon and in poor condition.

    Perhaps I'll get the Cheng book, it's almost right.
  11. 14 Nov '11 02:11
    Originally posted by NotEvenWrong
    This is exactly what I'm looking for. Only problem is it's impossible to find. Only copies around seem to be around $40 on Amazon and in poor condition.

    Perhaps I'll get the Cheng book, it's almost right.
    save your money and just use chesstempo I own sharpen your tactics and never use it because you have to look at the back for the answer so much easier to use software
  12. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    14 Nov '11 02:21
    Originally posted by NorrisB
    ....you have to look at the back for the answer...
    you're doing it wrong.
  13. 14 Nov '11 02:45
    Originally posted by wormwood
    you're doing it wrong.
    The answer is obvious when the proper pattern is found.

    Q
  14. Standard member nimzo5
    Ronin
    14 Nov '11 03:29
    Originally posted by NorrisB
    save your money and just use chesstempo I own sharpen your tactics and never use it because you have to look at the back for the answer so much easier to use software
    If you don't know the answer without looking, your answer is wrong or you're "guessing".
  15. 14 Nov '11 04:07
    sharpen your tactics is worth the money, if you need a hard copy, I own alot of puzzle books and that one is the best