1. Joined
    05 Nov '11
    Moves
    12 Nov '11 23:08
    I want to buy some sort of tactics book for bedside reading. I figure 20-30 minutes of problem solving before bed would be a beneficial habit to develop. The problem I've been having is finding a book that's not organized by theme. I just want a giant book of random problems so I'm not looking only for skewers in the skewer section and ignoring everything else. Can anyone recommend something like that? I'm rated ~1850 on ChessCube is that helps.
  2. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 00:03
    Originally posted by NotEvenWrong
    I want to buy some sort of tactics book for bedside reading. I figure 20-30 minutes of problem solving before bed would be a beneficial habit to develop. The problem I've been having is finding a book that's not organized by theme. I just want a giant book of random problems so I'm not looking only for skewers in the skewer section and ignoring everythi ...[text shortened]... else. Can anyone recommend something like that? I'm rated ~1850 on ChessCube is that helps.
    L. Polgar has a good book of tactics. A good book that still is themed is 700 Practical lessons. Its still themed but has great test work in the second half of the book that helps build. Its written by Jakov Neishtadt. I highly recommend both of these volumes.

Q
  3. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 03:30
    I want to buy some sort of tactics book for bedside reading. I figure 20-30 minutes of problem solving before bed would be a beneficial habit to develop. The problem I've been having is finding a book that's not organized by theme. I just want a giant book of random problems so I'm not looking only for skewers in the skewer section and ignoring everythi ...[text shortened]... else. Can anyone recommend something like that? I'm rated ~1850 on ChessCube is that helps.
    Practical Chess Exercises by Ray Cheng
  4. bedlam
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 10:41
    1000 combinations - József Pintér

Also without clues but more than just tactics:
    Chess training pocket book (3rd revised edition) - Lev Alburt
    Chess exam and training guide - Igor Khmelnitsky
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 10:44
    Originally posted by torten
    1000 combinations - József Pintér

Also without clues but more than just tactics:
    Chess training pocket book (3rd revised edition) - Lev Alburt
    Chess exam and training guide - Igor Khmelnitsky
    you Frenchie , i am in vigorous training from a secret lair hidden high in the hill tops
    where i am planning my revenge for your series of outrages against my king pawn!
  6. bedlam
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 11:171 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you Frenchie , i am in vigorous training from a secret lair hidden high in the hill tops
    where i am planning my revenge for your series of outrages against my king pawn!
    Your training is in vain for I've changed allegiance.

I'm again a vassal of the great 1...,e5!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 11:273 edits
    Originally posted by torten
    Your training is in vain for I've changed allegiance.

I'm again a vassal of the great 1...,e5!
    whut? how can this be? ahhh the pain! all my plotting in vain, my evil mind ray for
    nothing, is there no justice! Did you just feel like a change of scenery? What are you
    playing, the Ruy or the Petroff, or some excellent gambit line?
  8. bedlam
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 16:16
    whut? how can this be? ahhh the pain! all my plotting in vain, my evil mind ray for
    nothing, is there no justice! Did you just feel like a change of scenery? What are you
    playing, the Ruy or the Petroff, or some excellent gambit line?
    The french was a change of scenery,I've always played e5

Can't choose the ruy as black,that's up to white.I play 2 knights,open ruy,lines with Bc5 vs KG and scotch.
    And pretty much anything I feel like trying depending the mood I'm in.

Btw,we're slightly off topic
  9. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 16:301 edit
    It's true he is.

and Anatoly Lein's "sharpen your tactics" if you can find a decent used copy of it.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '11
    Moves
    13 Nov '11 22:27
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    It's true he is.

and Anatoly Lein's "sharpen your tactics" if you can find a decent used copy of it.
    This is exactly what I'm looking for. Only problem is it's impossible to find. Only copies around seem to be around $40 on Amazon and in poor condition.

Perhaps I'll get the Cheng book, it's almost right.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 02:11
    This is exactly what I'm looking for. Only problem is it's impossible to find. Only copies around seem to be around $40 on Amazon and in poor condition.

Perhaps I'll get the Cheng book, it's almost right.
    save your money and just use chesstempo I own sharpen your tactics and never use it because you have to look at the back for the answer so much easier to use software
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 02:21
    Originally posted by NorrisB
    ....you have to look at the back for the answer...
    you're doing it wrong.
  13. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 02:45
    Originally posted by wormwood
    you're doing it wrong.
    The answer is obvious when the proper pattern is found.

Q
  14. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 03:29
    Originally posted by NorrisB
    save your money and just use chesstempo I own sharpen your tactics and never use it because you have to look at the back for the answer so much easier to use software
    If you don't know the answer without looking, your answer is wrong or you're "guessing".
  15. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 04:07
    sharpen your tactics is worth the money, if you need a hard copy, I own alot of puzzle books and that one is the best

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree