Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    15 May '07 15:32 / 1 edit
    Game 3533228

My new favorite all time game... wow.

edit-- hehe I spelt beautiful wrong.
  2. 15 May '07 15:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Game 3533228

Nice. I played this one recently, it's a bit unsound and based on a trap in another line in the Pirc.

Game 3526197

Edit: it's not really trap since it can be defended.
  3. 15 May '07 15:41
    Game 3533228

The Traxler is one opening where you cannot hope to find the best moves over the board by yourself. I know it pretty well, though I play 5.Bxf7+ as White rather than 5.Nxf7. I think the critical blunder for White was 8.Qf3 - 8.g3 is essential.
  4. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    15 May '07 15:44
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    The Traxler is one opening where you cannot hope to find the best moves over the board by yourself. I know it pretty well, though I play 5.Bxf7+ as White rather than 5.Nxf7. I think the critical blunder for White was 8.Qf3 - 8.g3 is essential.
    Right now I'm 10 wins 1 loss 0 draws with this opening. I haven't had too many chances to play it, I've been studying it for about 6 months now though. It's one of those openings that if your opponent hasn't looked into it (even if they use a database) they're likely to get mauled. Awesome opening, I totally advocate it (though that might not mean much).
  5. 15 May '07 15:47 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Yes I agree --- if you dont know the moves, working it out is a total nightmare!

The most recent game I had with it I (as white) played Kf1 (not KxB) --- Looking at that position and i'm struggling to see how black has anything to show for the sacrifice.

...Kf1 Qe7 Nxh8 Bb7? Nc3 ....now whats blacks plan?
  6. Standard member bannedplayer306509
    Best Loser
    15 May '07 15:49
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    Yes I agree --- if you dont know the moves, working it out is a total nightmare!

The most recent game I had with it I (as white) played Kf1 (not KxB)
    Fritz judges that as best actually.. taking the bishop is dangerous.
  7. Standard member onyx2006
    onyx2007
    15 May '07 15:49
    nicely played!
  8. 15 May '07 18:26
    Game 3533228

Sweet!

I'm just looking a this for the first time but it looks to me that you take a bit of a risk with bc5 because if white refuses to capture your bishop he still gets to take your rook?
  9. 15 May '07 18:28 / 2 edits
    Yeah, you give up the rook for an all-out counter attack.
    Often you don't even make any attempt to re-capture the knight as well
    Game 3481987

7...Bb6 after Kf1 is the key move here, if white wisely decides not to capture with 7.Kxf2
  10. 15 May '07 18:30
    Game 3533228

You spelled "spelled" wrong also.
  11. 15 May '07 18:47
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Yeah, you give up the rook for an all-out counter attack.
    Often you don't even make any attempt to re-capture the knight as well
    Game 3481987

7...Bb6 after Kf1 is the key move here, if white wisely decides not to capture with 7.Kxf2
    Are you sure 7..Bb6 is the best move, I always played 7..d5 against Kf1 and I thought it was the best move, however I didn't really spend much time studying the traxler.
  12. 15 May '07 19:01
    Originally posted by omulcusobolani
    Are you sure 7..Bb6 is the best move, I always played 7..d5 against Kf1 and I thought it was the best move, however I didn't really spend much time studying the traxler.
    7...Bb6 gets best results in the Traxler as it secures the center with e5 & Nc6 & also allows Qc5 or Qf7 attacking f2.

What do you suggest after
    7...d5, 8.exd5 to maintain all the threats?
  13. 15 May '07 20:33
    8...Nd4, when I started playing the traxler I just checked my database. I never really thought of deviating from the most played lines if they had a good score for black (39%white wins in the 7..d5 line out of 100games), I just noticed that Bb6 scores 0 for white however I only have 4 games with that played, if Bb6 is the best move why is it so rarely played?
  14. 15 May '07 20:47
    That looks nasty for white.
  15. 15 May '07 21:04
    Originally posted by omulcusobolani
    8...Nd4, when I started playing the traxler I just checked my database. I never really thought of deviating from the most played lines if they had a good score for black (39%white wins in the 7..d5 line out of 100games), I just noticed that Bb6 scores 0 for white however I only have 4 games with that played, if Bb6 is the best move why is it so rarely played?
    Don't get me wrong - you've still got great chances after 8...Nd4 & white has to tread very carefully, but he can almost force simplification (& therefore finish a whole piece up) after, for instance the likely:
    9.c3...Bg4
    10.Qa4+...Bd7
    11.Qa3...Nc2
    12.Qxe7+...Kxe7
    13.Kxf2...Nxa1
    14.Re1...Rxa8
    15.d4

And there's nothing black can do to prevent the eventual loss of Na1

black to move

But I really think 7...Bb6 is stronger for the reasons I stated above.
    Relying on db %'s is a very dodgy business, as an otherwise winning line can contain several weak moves & lose & vice versa.

On chessbase 7.Kf1...Bb6 scores 11 wins & 4 losses for black 73%