Albin Countergambit

Albin Countergambit

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
24 Jan 11

I would like an opinion about whether the following line is playable for black:

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e5 3. dxe5 dxc4

In my opinion, the best line for white here is to exchange queens and to keep
black's king in the center. Does the fact that black managed to "equalize" by
exchanging queens compensate for his exposed king?

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e5 3. dxe5 dxc4 4. Qxd8+ Kxd8

rc

Moves
24 Jan 11
2 edits

Originally posted by wittywonka

[fen]rnbk1bnr/ppp2ppp/8/4P3/2p5/8/PP2PPPP/RNB1KBNR[/fen]

i think the point of any gambit , especially the Albin is to disrupt your opponents development and to ease your own. Normally in the Albin the pawn goes to d4 where it disrupts whites development of his Queens knight especially, it appears to me that after 3...dxc4 this is not the case. White bishop can now come to g5 with tempo, his knight can freely develop and his rook is coming to d1, all the things we had hoped to prevent 🙂

e

Moves
24 Jan 11

[fen]rnbk1bnr/ppp2ppp/8/4P3/2p5/8/PP2PPPP/RNB1KBNR[/fen]

after e4 the position MAY be playable. But, just from a quick look white looks to have a safe +/= to me. b-b4 and n-b5 don't seem to quite equalize to my amateur eye.

NMD

Moves
24 Jan 11
1 edit

White has lots of central control and is slightly better in development too since castling can facilitate white developing his rooks a bit more quickly.

Black looks more or less lost to me .

White could try attacking f7, c4, or the black king.

e4

Moves
24 Jan 11

Of course one could stroll along to the games explorer and see if
any games have taken this path.

http://www.timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer/

You play out the required opening moves and reach here.

White to play.

White plays 4.Qxd8+

and the board changes to this. 🙂

The c4 pawn and the e5 pawn swap places and you get taken to
a totally different opening.

BTW the way Rookguy has had the above 'new' postion 30 times as Black
winning more than his fair share. Most come from this opening. (see the PGN)

One example of how he does it is Game 2283435
He seems to enjoy Queenless middle games. Each to their own.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
24 Jan 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i think the point of any gambit , especially the Albin is to disrupt your opponents development and to ease your own. Normally in the Albin the pawn goes to d4 where it disrupts whites development of his Queens knight especially, it appears to me that after 3...dxc4 this is not the case. White bishop can now come to g5 with tempo, his knight can freely develop and his rook is coming to d1, all the things we had hoped to prevent 🙂
First, I realize that this is certainly not the main line (or main intent) of the Albin - I was just toying with the idea. I agree, at least in the opening black may be put on the defensive, but I was trying to see whether (or not) white could really mount a threatening attack (that black couldn't keep up with) without his queen.

c

USA

Moves
25 Jan 11

White certainly has no attack, but I agree with a previous poster that White has a solid +/=. Black will have to struggle more to hold on to c4 than White does to hold on to e5, and White has pretty easy development. On the other hand, such games require much more technical skill to win, so if White is a strong tactician but a poor technician, perhaps dxc4 is the way to go.

rc

Moves
25 Jan 11

First, I realize that this is certainly not the main line (or main intent) of the Albin - I was just toying with the idea. I agree, at least in the opening black may be put on the defensive, but I was trying to see whether (or not) white could really mount a threatening attack (that black couldn't keep up with) without his queen.
sure thing, there is certainly a lot to be said for originality in chess, if the position appeals to you, then why not play it.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
25 Jan 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
sure thing, there is certainly a lot to be said for originality in chess, if the position appeals to you, then why not play it.
Maybe something better saved for OTB play? Who knows. Thanks anyway for the thoughts.

rc

Moves
25 Jan 11
2 edits

Maybe something better saved for OTB play? Who knows. Thanks anyway for the thoughts.
have you tired playing the mainline Albin, its pretty awesome. White settles for a nice and easy queens gambit and out struts the e pawn on move two with different ideas 🙂