Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 30 Jun '07 05:23
    Hey, guys! I was wondering what is your opinion on the Alekhine Defence (1.e4 Nf6), whether you play this opening or not.
  2. Standard member HomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    30 Jun '07 05:35
    Well its a good opening, Weyerstrass plays it, if its good enough for Weyerstrass its good enough for me.
  3. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    30 Jun '07 06:25
    very fun to play against...just one of those entertaining games...
  4. Standard member irontigran
    Rob Scheider is..
    30 Jun '07 06:30
    Game 3730127

*still active*
  5. 30 Jun '07 12:53
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    Game 3730127

*still active*
    And your point is?
  6. 30 Jun '07 14:15
    3...Nc6?
    please don't post this game, this guy has no clue what he is doing,
    main line is 3....d6 challenging the center
  7. 30 Jun '07 14:30
    Originally posted by c guy1
    3...Nc6?
    please don't post this game, this guy has no clue what he is doing,
    main line is 3....d6 challenging the center
    Which was my point!
  8. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    30 Jun '07 19:34
    I dont play it, I dont like being chased about the whole time!
  9. 01 Jul '07 06:57
    Alekhine Thematic Tournament
    Tournament 1556

is in to the 3rd round if you are interested.
  10. Subscriber LordofADown
    King of all Hills
    01 Jul '07 06:59
    I never understood the benefits of this opening, isn't it severe tempo loss?
  11. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    01 Jul '07 09:01
    I think on purpose. Black often allows to white to establish imposing pawn center to create targets for himself which he can attack later.
  12. 01 Jul '07 18:28
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    I think on purpose. Black often allows to white to establish imposing pawn center to create targets for himself which he can attack later.
    Yes, it is a ploy to make White over-extend his center. Black actually tries to prove that White's preponderance of central pawns is, in fact, weak. Think of an army over-extending its supply lines. It's a fun "hyper-modern opening," yet there are MANY dangerous tactical chances.

If you choose to play this against 1. e4, be prepared for the natural 2. e5 (which is the whole point of the bait Knight). After 2....Nd5, you'll typically see one of two things: either 3. d4, or 3. c4; further attacking the Knight. d4 leads to 3...d6 (The Modern Variation), which activates Blacks QB, and the main line continues with 4. Nf3 4 Bg4 (or Bf5 depending upon preferance). I will either move Bg4 here, or, lately, I have been playing with 4...e6.

The Four Pawn Attack (3. c4), is in my opinion the best way to handle The Alekhine for White. 3. c4 Nb6, 4. d4 Nc6 5. f4, and White has a strong pawn-center, that puts Black to the task of proving the Alekhine Defense is a sound opening (again the whole point of Nf6).

There is also the Scandinavian Variation, which I find quite fun. I suggest you try it as Black, then you will know how to face it as White. It creates some very rich and enjoyable games. Have fun!
  13. 02 Jul '07 15:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    Yes, it is a ploy to make White over-extend his center. Black actually tries to prove that White's preponderance of central pawns is, in fact, weak. Think of an army over-extending its supply lines. It's a fun "hyper-modern opening," yet there are MANY dangerous tactical chances.

If you choose to play this against 1. e4, be prepared for the natur ll know how to face it as White. It creates some very rich and enjoyable games. Have fun!
    ehhh... four pawns goes:
    1.e4 Nf6 2. e5 Nd5 3. c4 Nb6 4. d4 d6! 5. f4
    At this point, white is often considered inferior.
    5.....dxe5 6.fxe5 (dxe5? Qxd1+). Now from here it is black's chance to prove the opening. Ideas range from 6...c5 (I dont prefer this system) attacking whites center rapidly or 6....g6 7...Bg7 8.....c5 to continue development, then attack. Either way, the four pawns is tactical, but often considered inferrior to other lines.

EDIT: the modern variation can also include, after 3...d6 4.Nf3, the moves 4....g6 or dxe5, both of which are mainlinish. I personally like 4...dxe5 followed by 5. Nxe5 g6 with the idea of Bg7 and c5, weakening the diagnol.
  14. 02 Jul '07 21:54
    Originally posted by c guy1
    ehhh... four pawns goes:
    1.e4 Nf6 2. e5 Nd5 3. c4 Nb6 4. d4 d6! 5. f4
    At this point, white is often considered inferior.
    5.....dxe5 6.fxe5 (dxe5? Qxd1+). Now from here it is black's chance to prove the opening. Ideas range from 6...c5 (I dont prefer this system) attacking whites center rapidly or 6....g6 7...Bg7 8.....c5 to continue development, then a ...[text shortened]... onally like 4...dxe5 followed by 5. Nxe5 g6 with the idea of Bg7 and c5, weakening the diagnol.
    Yes, I stand corrected. I've always made Nc6 there instead of d6, with about 50-50 success. I'll usually play d6 or e6 a move or two later.
  15. 03 Jul '07 05:33 / 1 edit
    I dont like putting the knight on c6 until after c5 has been played. I find that this is necessary because that pawn is needed in order to weaken the a1-h8 diagnol, afterwardt he knight can be deployed. There are obviously exceptions to this rule, but I find that this is generally the case.

EDIT: while it certantly is played (Nc6 before c5), I find that it can also give white another target, and allow white to extend his forces even further...and while the point of the opening is to get white to overextend, this much "over extension" can be fatal for black.