1. Earth
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 11:27
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    exactly......susan polgar would crush Alekhine and Fischer....(Kasparov no...)

but the point being anyone can learn to be great given the right conditions.....
    Strongly disagree scientifically. Whilst environmental factors such as upbringing, training, mentoring and a million other influences can significantly affect someones potential, the genetic element is accepted to be huge in instances of genius. This applies especially to mathematical, creative and muscial genius.
    No not everyone can become Fischer or Kasparov by training. Some people will always have greater potential at birth. There is a wealth of research to support this. The 'greats' are a creation of the right genes coupled with the right environmental factors.
    And as an aside, I am far from convinced that Fischer would be crushed by all 3 Polgar sisters working together, but this is just opinion.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 11:33
    Yeah, there are some really intelligent people that suck at chess no matter how hard they try. Robert Oppenheimer started playing young, had a life-long interest in the game, played like a retard.
  3. Joined
    05 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 11:48
    The Polgar sisters received their education at home.Their mother was a teacher,if I recall correct.
    It's not like they did nothing but chess all day.
  4. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 12:11
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Yeah, there are some really intelligent people that suck at chess no matter how hard they try. Robert Oppenheimer started playing young, had a life-long interest in the game, played like a retard.
    lmao that just made my day.....lmao
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 12:561 edit
    lmao that just made my day.....lmao
    Here's a tournament game between Einstein and Oppenheimer, Princeton Chess Club.
    Note how Oppie screws up and Albert jumps on it.

http://www.worldchesslinks.net/ezs06.html
  6. USA
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 13:44
    the young american physicist?
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 14:23
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    the young american physicist?
    Yep.
  8. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 18:49
    Originally posted by synesis
    Do you think that with enough dedication and training anyone could become a Kasparov, Fischer, or Alekhine?
    no, but anyone could become a low level master caliber player.
  9. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 18:53
    you're making up facts here.
  10. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 18:53
    THATS ALL I WANT! i'd be happy with expert!!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 21:56
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    you're making up facts here.
    Nope, Oppenheimer sucked at chess. Besides the game against Einstein, which his poor play is evident in, over 20 years earlier, when Oppenheimer was a teenager (15 I think) he played against Guyla Breyer , who was giving a simultaneous exhibition, so he was obviously interested in chess at a young age. This game is also on the net if you want to search it.
    It's guestimated that he may have been a "C" player at best.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 21:56
    Tell that to Oppenheimer.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 22:29
    Sorry, but I've seen too many smart people that loved the game, studied, played in tournaments, yadayadayada, and could never break 1600.
  14. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 23:13
    See's what sam the sham said.......and wonders...........
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '07 03:06
    See's what sam the sham said.......and wonders...........
    here's a quick litmus test chessvanity: Can you visualize the board and play a game blindfolded? If so, you have what it takes to be a master. If not, you don't. Almost any master can play a game without site of the board, or at least get well into one before peeking.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree