Alexander Alekhine and Bobby Fischer were cowar...

Alexander Alekhine and Bobby Fischer were cowar...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
29 Feb 08

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
Yep. The original poster of this thread is burying his head in the sand, I think, trying to preserve any last scrap of credibility. 😞
I wonder if the OP wil come back for a rematch or shy away from forums in fear of losing again 🙂

F

Moves
29 Feb 08

Originally posted by Pigface1
I wonder if the OP wil come back for a rematch or shy away from forums in fear of losing again 🙂
😀
I think he won't want another comprehensive beating.
😉

F

Moves
01 Mar 08

Originally posted by gambit3
There were personal problems between Alekhine and Capablanca. It was not all Alekhine's fault. Alekhine treated Capablanca the same way that Capablanca treated him. From there Capablanca insulted Alekhine. You have to know all of the story to know what was going on between those two players. I do not know what Fischer's problem was. Fischer was like that bef ...[text shortened]... match. I think that Fischer would have retained it the first time and lost it in a second one.
The last sentence is also Spassky's view.

o

Moves
01 Mar 08

I cant say Alekhine was coward or not but statistically Capablanca better than him.

Overall record: Jose Raul Capablanca beat Alexander Alekhine 10 to 7, with 33 draws

source: www.chessgames.com

c

Moves
01 Mar 08

Adorea - Are you suggesting that Deep Blue makes choices about who it wants to play? Are you suggesting that Humans do not make choices about who they play?

I think it is incredibly strange to claim that Casablanca was afraid of Alekhine. Part of the agreement leading up to their world championship match was an agreement that their would be a rematch, Alekhine broke the agreement and refused to grant a rematch. Then Alekhine refused to play in the tournaments that Capablanca played in, and attempted to keep him out of the tournaments he was actually in. Capablanca did none of these things. It is very clear who both of them though was the better player.

As for Bobby Fischer we can call his cowardices perfectionism if you like, but the fact remains that he was strong enough to become the world champion, but too mentally week to attempt to retain his title.

It is hard to tell which of the two men is more cowardly. On the one hand Alekhine only ran away from one man, while Fischer ran away from everyone. On the other Fischer was at least willing to admit that he was running away with a letter to the FIDE, while Alekhine went on pretending he was the best in the world while avoiding Capa.

STS

Moves
01 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by ottoman1453
I cant say Alekhine was coward or not but statistically Capablanca better than him.

Overall record: Jose Raul Capablanca beat Alexander Alekhine 10 to 7, with 33 draws

source: www.chessgames.com
I think it was Ruben Fine that said he could hold his own in 5 minute games against Alekhine but Capablanca crushed him all the time and made it look easy.
Anyway, Fisher was nuts, but certainly not a coward. Alekhine was just a jerk.

g

Moves
01 Mar 08

Most of you players have Alekhine to be a devil and Capablanca a angel. Capablanca could not spell the word angel. There seems to be a lot of controversy between these two players.

x

Moves
01 Mar 08

Chrspayn, you've got a WHOLE lot of nerve to issue your little proclamation that two of the world's greatest players were cowards.

I suppose then we'll be seeing you on the world championship circuit any day now, eh?

STS

Moves
01 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by gambit3
Most of you players have Alekhine to be a devil and Capablanca a angel. Capablanca could not spell the word angel. There seems to be a lot of controversy between these two players.
Good read by a GM that knew Alekhine well:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/kmoch05.txt

There's a series of them by Kmoch about all the big boys of that era, fascinating reminiscences. Just change the /kmoch05.txt to kmoch01 and up to go through them.

F

Moves
01 Mar 08

Originally posted by chrspayn
Adorea - Are you suggesting that Deep Blue makes choices about who it wants to play? Are you suggesting that Humans do not make choices about who they play?

I think it is incredibly strange to claim that Casablanca was afraid of Alekhine. Part of the agreement leading up to their world championship match was an agreement that their would be a rematch, Al ...[text shortened]... to the FIDE, while Alekhine went on pretending he was the best in the world while avoiding Capa.
Did you even read anyone else's arguments or just made it up as you went along?

F

Moves
01 Mar 08

think it is incredibly strange to claim that Casablanca was afraid of Alekhine.
Capablanca and Casablanca are two very different people.

c

Moves
01 Mar 08

gambit3 - My point is not that Capablanca was an angle, my point is that he was not afraid of Alekhine .

xnomanx - I am not suggesting that either man was not talented, or that I could beat them, or that they were afraid of me. What I am suggesting is that Alekhine was afraid of Capablanca, and Fischer was too mentally weak to defend his title. Perhaps I am wrong, maybe Fischer was not afraid, maybe he was just too busy exposing the secret Jewish conspiracy against him. There is after all, only so much time in the day.

FlyingDutchman - You are quite correct, my spell check has run a muck and miss-corrected Capablancas name, weirdly it also wants to change Alekhine to "Fleshiness".

MR

Moves
01 Mar 08

FlyingDutchman - You are quite correct, my spell check has run a muck and miss-corrected Capablancas name, weirdly it also wants to change Alekhine to "Fleshiness".
I guess your spellchecker is a moviegoer, but not a chess player. 😀

Most spellcheckers allow you to add special words to the dictionary. If so, you could add all of these great chess terms, then you wouldn't have that problem so much.

L

Moves
01 Mar 08

yeah, and sweden was cowardly for staying neutral in world war 2. Cmon you red cross bastards and fight!

Alekhine's Gun

🤔 Bolton

Moves
02 Mar 08

Outragous..........how dare you insult Alekine....the guy is a chess god....a large chapter of chess theroy is own to him.You lot are the ilk who throw stones on the streets or burn tyres in some African bush...no basis of true argument or conjecture.Both were superb at the game different approach but the very purity of essence.