Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    14 Mar '08 23:01 / 4 edits
    - fork
    - pin (somwhere I heard it is a part of the chess strategy as well)
    - discovery
    - double check (well, that's discovery too)
    - skewer
    - removing the defender (my favourite, it can really have some devastating effects)
    - zugzwang (is that tactic at all ?)
    - zwischenzug (or counter-tactic)


    What about sacrifice ? It is tactic too. And there is tactic when you force one of your opponents piece to a square where you want it to be.

    Did I miss something ?

    I sure did. Help, add your favourite ! Nice FENs are welcome
  2. 14 Mar '08 23:09
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    - for
    - pin (somwhere I heard it is a part of the chess strategy as well)
    - discovery
    - double check (well, that's discovery too)
    - skewer
    - removing the defender (my favourite, it can really have some devastating effects)
    - zugzwang (is that tactic at all ?)
    - zwischenzug (or counter-tactic)


    What about sacrifice ? It is tactic too. And there is ...[text shortened]... e.

    Did I miss something ?

    I sure did. Help, add your favourite ! Nice FENs are welcome
    Seems you got most of them.

    I think a true sacrifice isn't really a tactic, but a pseudo-sacrifice is a tactic.

    The tactic where you force one of your opponent's pieces to a square where you want it to be is called a deflection, which I think is a special type of removal of the guard.

    The only other tactic I can think of at the moment is the x-ray, which not all tactics books mention.
  3. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    14 Mar '08 23:14
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Seems you got most of them.

    I think a true sacrifice isn't really a tactic, but a pseudo-sacrifice is a tactic.

    The tactic where you force one of your opponent's pieces to a square where you want it to be is called a deflection, which I think is a special type of removal of the guard.

    The only other tactic I can think of at the moment is the x-ray, which not all tactics books mention.
    X-ray is synonim for skewer. And I do not know if that deflection is type of removal of the guard since you can use it to force king to a square where it will be exposed and checkmated (for example deflection with rook sacrifice in order to deliver mate with queen or something...)
  4. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    14 Mar '08 23:16
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    What's interference (I can only guess that it interferes with something) ?
  5. 14 Mar '08 23:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    - fork
    - pin (somwhere I heard it is a part of the chess strategy as well)
    - discovery
    - double check (well, that's discovery too)
    - skewer
    - removing the defender (my favourite, it can really have some devastating effects)
    - zugzwang (is that tactic at all ?)
    - zwischenzug (or counter-tactic)


    What about sacrifice ? It is tactic too. And there i ...[text shortened]... e.

    Did I miss something ?

    I sure did. Help, add your favourite ! Nice FENs are welcome
    interference is probably cutting a defense by putting something in the way.
  6. 14 Mar '08 23:20
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    what's clearence?
  7. 14 Mar '08 23:20
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    X-ray is synonim for skewer. And I do not know if that deflection is type of removal of the guard since you can use it to force king to a square where it will be exposed and checkmated (for example deflection with rook sacrifice in order to deliver mate with queen or something...)
    I think some books treat x-rays the same as skewers, but I think there's a slight difference. Skewers are always with the intent to capture material, but an x-ray can be either offensive or defensive in nature (protecting a piece through another piece). At least that's my opinion.
  8. Standard member Ramned
    The Rams
    14 Mar '08 23:23
    Kamikazi!
  9. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    14 Mar '08 23:24
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    interference is probably cutting a defense by putting something in the way.



    This is some very nasty interference. White to move plays sexy looking and also very strong 1. Nd6+
  10. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    14 Mar '08 23:26
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    What's interference (I can only guess that it interferes with something) ?
    Interference occurs mostly in studies but sometimes it can occur in real game situations too. It is kinda tricky to spot the chance for them to occur but if you do you'll feel like the man.

    This is a game of mine where it did occur. Unlike in tactical studies this wasn't made in a mating attack ather it was done for me to get a queen. I think that the interference move 40. ... e2 is my best move so far and probabily this is my best game so far too. A pawn sac for the center and a continual bind.

    [Event "Online Chess"]
    [Site "Chess.com"]
    [Date "2008.02.28"]
    [Round "1"]
    [White "graniteguy"]
    [Black "Nezhmetdinov"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [WhiteElo "1387"]
    [BlackElo "1411"]
    [TimeControl "1 in 1 day"]

    1. Nf3 Nf6 2. d3 c5 3. Bf4 d5 4. d4 cxd4 5. Qxd4 Nc6 6. Qd1 e6 7. a3 Bd6 8.
    Bxd6 Qxd6 9. Nc3 b6 10. Nb5 Qe7 11. Nfd4 Bb7 12. Qd3 a6 13. Nc3 b5 14. b4
    Nd7 15. h4 Nb6 16. Nxc6 Bxc6 17. Qd4 Nc4 18. Qxg7 O-O-O 19. Qd4 Qb7 20. Nd1
    Rhe8 21. Qg7 f5 22. Qxb7+ Bxb7 23. Nc3 d4 24. Nd1 e5 25. f3 e4 26. f4 e3
    27. Rh3 Rg8 28. g3 Be4 29. Ra2 Kc7 30. a4 h5 31. axb5 axb5 32. c3 dxc3 33.
    Nxc3 Bc6 34. Rc2 Kb6 35. Na4+ bxa4 36. Rxc4 Rd2 37. Rc3 Re8 38. Rd3 Rxd3
    39. exd3 a3 40. Rh2 e2 41. d4 exf1=Q+ 42. Kxf1 Bb5+
    0-1
  11. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    14 Mar '08 23:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    [fen]2kr1b2/ppp4p/6p1/4PN2/8/7P/P2qQPP1/4R1K1 w - - 0 1[/fen]


    This is some very nasty interference. White to move plays sexy looking and also very strong 1. Nd6+
    What's wrong with 1. ... Qxd6?

    Edit: I was blind to the white pawn.
  12. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    14 Mar '08 23:32
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I think some books treat x-rays the same as skewers, but I think there's a slight difference. Skewers are always with the intent to capture material, but an x-ray can be either offensive or defensive in nature (protecting a piece through another piece). At least that's my opinion.
    Reinfeld treats x-rays and skewers as the same thing, but I think Weteschnik has the right of it. I'll post an example of what he calls an x-ray tomorrow.

    D
  13. Standard member Lukerik
    Stick your hands up
    14 Mar '08 23:47
    Originally posted by Ramned
    [b]Kamikazi![/b]
    YEP! Seriously I've been camicazied a couple of times and when you have a set opening it can be very effective.
  14. 15 Mar '08 01:45
    Would "windmill" attack be considered a tactic?
  15. Standard member Lukerik
    Stick your hands up
    15 Mar '08 01:49
    Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
    Would "windmill" attack be considered a tactic?
    Ha! Isn't that just a come-on