1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 20:472 edits
    Game 11531695

My opponent started messaging me once we were down to king vs rook and king, insisting that they had played 100s of games in this scenario and never got anything more than a draw. However (even) I know that with a little patience and careful moves it's not too difficult to mate with rook and king.

At the end my opponent accused my of cheating by looking of Google and said they "knew chess" and had reported me, presumably to the site administration. They said my moves were more like a 1200 player.

Thoughts? Do I look like I have done anything wrong?
  2. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 21:02
    18. exf5 was probably wrong. But no, in terms of winning with a rook and a king vs. a king, you were just fine.
  3. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 21:11
    That is pretty darn funny 😲

If he gets suspicious about losing in the most basic ending, I wonder how many other reports he filed.

For the record, the basic Rook endgame is in the 0-999 section of Silman's endgame course, no way its a 1200 level.😞
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 21:282 edits
    Originally posted by SPswindler
    That is pretty darn funny 😲

If he gets suspicious about losing in the most basic ending, I wonder how many other reports he filed.

For the record, the basic Rook endgame is in the 0-999 section of Silman's endgame course, no way its a 1200 level.😞
    I thought it was funny too and told him so.

Yes I have read up on endings a little, but jeez look at my rating, I'm not exactly a GM! I'm better at the tactical endings rather than the more strategic elements of openings and mid-games anyway.

Chess players are a funny lot. I like playing him though; we've had loads of clans games and this is the only time it kicked off.
  5. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    21 Jan '16 21:56
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I thought it was funny too and told him so.

Yes I have read up on endings a little, but jeez look at my rating, I'm not exactly a GM! I'm better at the tactical endings rather than the more strategic elements of openings and mid-games anyway.

Chess players are a funny lot. I like playing him though; we've had loads of clans games and this is the only time it kicked off.
    A few moves into your next game w/ him announce "mate in 34!" he will go nuts 😛
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '16 00:01
    Correspondence chess allows you to use manuals, just not computer chess programs.
  7. e4
    Moves
    22 Jan '16 00:59
    To try and understand the other lad. Game 9360301

RudySA - Bladsy Q RHP 2012 (Final Position - draw agreed.)

Maybe he does not know how easy it is.

The full game, Watch how White traps his own Queen v a Rook.
    I've never seen that before. White move 92.

8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '16 15:53
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    To try and understand the other lad. Game 9360301

RudySA - Bladsy Q RHP 2012 (Final Position - draw agreed.)

[fen]r7/8/8/1K6/8/8/8/7k w - - 0 104[/fen]

Maybe he does not know how easy it is.

The full game, Watch how White traps his own Queen v a Rook.
    I've never seen that before. White move 92.

[pgn]
    [Event "Challenge"]
    [Site "h ...[text shortened]... Rf8e8 99. Ke6f7 Re8d8 100. Kf7e7 Rd8a8 101. Ke7d7 Ra8a7 102. Kd7c6 Ra7a6 103. Kc6b5 Ra6a8 [/pgn]
    i guess what was disappointing was that he kept barraging me insisting that I accept his draw offer and when I checkmated him about 12 moves later he in-game msd me and PM'd me to accuse me of cheating. Very odd considering how easy it is to mate with rook and king.

Hey-ho
  9. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '16 18:54
    A full enquiry is needed. Let justice be done though the heavens may fall.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '16 22:48
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    A full enquiry is needed. Let justice be done though the heavens may fall.
    🙂
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    24 Jan '16 00:03
    Game 11531695

My opponent started messaging me once we were down to king vs rook and king, insisting that they had played 100s of games in this scenario and never got anything more than a draw. However (even) I know that with a little patience and careful moves it's not too difficult to mate with rook and king.

At the end my opponent accuse ...[text shortened]... d my moves were more like a 1200 player.

Since I joined the site a few years ago, one of the things that I have learned is that, when someone loses, the internet loser's first refuge is to accuse the other person of cheating.

The cool thing about internet chess is that, when you encounter someone like this, you can just make that game the last one against them, and move on to new players. There are plenty of really nice people to play, so there is no need to put up with idiots.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 15:00
    Game 11531695

At the end my opponent accuse ...[text shortened]... d my moves were more like a 1200 player.

lol "moved more like a 1200 player"
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '16 22:42

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 00:55
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Perhaps the Star Wars NES chess game? 😉

I tried it once, I don't even think there's a way to play as black.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 15:59
    Game 11531695

According to the Terms of Service the last time I looked at it books and so forth are allowed. What would comprise cheating is engine data, so the results of a calculation by an engine on that particular position, which in this case would refer to an endgame tablebase (EGTB). So even if you had looked it up on something like Wikipedia you'd be within the rules, which means he's pretty hazy on what constitutes cheating.

I checked 5 piece EGTB, comments start on move 43:
    Given that by the time it's K+R v K to change the result you have to drop your rook, that you didn't checkmate by the most efficient route, and that the result did change a few times at the five piece stage (K+R+P v K+R) I think that there is no evidence of cheating whatsoever.

The game demonstrates the problem with cheating accusations quite nicely. In the K+R v K part of the game you never put a foot wrong in the sense that you didn't make a move that would have drawn the game according to EGTB - but since you'd need to drop the rook to do that it's not that surprising. There were a few result changing errors in the five piece part of the game (and some real howlers earlier on) but your accuser could just claim that you didn't start cheating until move 54, and it's almost impossible to prove that you weren't as the inefficiencies can be explained as you trying to cover yourself. So the only way to prove you weren't cheating in the face of that accusation is for the result to change, which is ludicrous as it leaves you needing to blow the ending to prove you weren't cheating.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree